GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Burnt by Lexus Service for Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 03:26 PM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt by Lexus Service for Clunk

Hey Folks,
I bought a new 2004 GX470 back in April and it was perfect, until the clunking started at around several thousand miles. I just came home from the dealer and yes, once again I got burnt by the Lexus Service Rep. I arrived and told the rep what was up with the car. Once I said, "clunk", she already knew what I was talking about, looked at my VIN and searched for the history of the car on the computer. Right away she told me that "Lexus doesn't make repairs for such problems." I was dumbfouned, as if someone was telling me a lie. And if it were a problem, shouldn't Lexus fix it? Then she started making stuff up about how cars with the "height control" features have this problem, but then I realized that LX470's with the air suspension and height control don't have the clunking problem. I've brought my car in about 4 times with the same clunking problem and it's getting worse. I'm looking into the California Lemon Law and seeing where I can go with this. I was hoping to keep the car for quite a while because I've been happy with past Lexi. I have a 1992 ES300 with close to 320,000 miles and still running and a 1998 LS400 that was perfection. *Sigh* This really sucks and they've given me the cold shoulder. WHAT TO DO! I really need this to get fixed 'cause it's a drag to drive a car that make you feel disapointed about the drive quality. Anyone with suggestions on how to approach them again?

2004 (April 2004) GX470 18,800 miles, clunking, slight vibration at idle, and disappointed driver.

Last edited by cyberflip9; 01-25-05 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 03:59 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberflip9
Right away she told me that "Lexus doesn't make repairs for such problems."
This is unthinkable. I could more or less understand if it's just a bad dealership as there always are a few bad apples, but if it's true that Lexus knew this and told the dealers that they don't make repairs for this problem that they've admitted, shame on Lexus!! I feel horrible for you. I'm not familiar with how to pursue such cases but the Lemon Law should be a good start. Good luck!

Edit: Oops sorry just noticed that there's already such a thread going on for days. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145667

Last edited by XeroK00L; 01-25-05 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 09:56 AM
lexite
Driver

I think just around the time when you bought your GX, Lexus announced a TSB to cover up the clunking issue, which arguably is not a technical problem but annoying characterstic of this truck. The fix included replacing the drive shaft with a new one that seemed to have been tweaked by Lexus to minimise clunking. This mod was available to those GX's that were build with the old type of shaft. Your GX may have been built with the moded shaft already. Most of us who got the new shaft fix installed experienced that clunking does come back eventually although not to the extent as before. Based on that I presume GX's that were built with the new shaft would also experience clunking after some mileage, which could very well be your case.

Apparently it is expected that clunking can be kept under control by proper lubing of the shaft. It means that every time you visit the service center, mention it to the service consultant and for a while the truck would feel better in that regard.

I do not think this issue would qualify for a lemon. However, if you pursue it with an attorney, Lexus may be kind enough to buy back your truck to satisfy you.

How much annoying it is to one depends on how much attn does someone pays. To me it was annoying initially but eventually I got used to of driving with this characterstic. However, at my 15k miles service, they went ahead and installed the shaft fix, and for a while clunking went away completely. It cameback after 3.5k miles but it is a lot less than the original.

If you like the truck and think that you can live with this issue, try not to worry about it too much. BTW, as the shaft wears out, the clunking tends to decline with time as well. So if you plan to keep the truck for a long time it may go away completely after a while.
Old 01-26-05, 07:31 PM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

Well, I can honestly say that my dealer, has not only acknowleded the clunking issue, but agrees it is a *****ty design flaw for such a class of vehicle. They have also bent over backwards to do what Lexus has been advising to do as a bandaid.

However after a few different attempts by Lexus Corporate at resolving this issue and unsuccessfully able to come up with a permanent fix, my service guy has informed me that Lexus is now taking the stance that it is a part of this vehicle and they are no longer progressing with a fix.

In other words, they are giving up. So basicly, Lexus is saying screw the 03' thru 06' guys (or whenever the redesign comes out). I would imagine the redesign will not have this issue, however there is a lot of bad blood for those of us that are being burnt on this.

I also suspect that the mix of disappointed owners range from long time Lexus customers with a now tarnished feeling about Lexus to the first time Lexus owner who will not buy another Lexus.
Old 01-27-05, 11:25 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberflip9
Hey Folks,
I bought a new 2004 GX470 back in April and it was perfect, until the clunking started at around several thousand miles. I just came home from the dealer and yes, once again I got burnt by the Lexus Service Rep. I arrived and told the rep what was up with the car. Once I said, "clunk", she already knew what I was talking about, looked at my VIN and searched for the history of the car on the computer. Right away she told me that "Lexus doesn't make repairs for such problems." I was dumbfouned, as if someone was telling me a lie. And if it were a problem, shouldn't Lexus fix it? Then she started making stuff up about how cars with the "height control" features have this problem, but then I realized that LX470's with the air suspension and height control don't have the clunking problem. I've brought my car in about 4 times with the same clunking problem and it's getting worse. I'm looking into the California Lemon Law and seeing where I can go with this. I was hoping to keep the car for quite a while because I've been happy with past Lexi. I have a 1992 ES300 with close to 320,000 miles and still running and a 1998 LS400 that was perfection. *Sigh* This really sucks and they've given me the cold shoulder. WHAT TO DO! I really need this to get fixed 'cause it's a drag to drive a car that make you feel disapointed about the drive quality. Anyone with suggestions on how to approach them again?

2004 (April 2004) GX470 18,800 miles, clunking, slight vibration at idle, and disappointed driver.

How often do you ge the "clunk", I think I got it twice with over 6k miles. I personally don't mind it, everything else about this car is so darn perfect! Remember, ther motto is the "pursuit" of perfection. Nobody's perfect, even (I hate to say it) the Japanese/Lexus. Unless it comes up once per day/week, I don't think anything could really take away from such a great car. Please, don't get me started about the lemon law, I just went through a pile of $#!+ with Honda; so a Lexus with a clunk is better than a Honda that barely drives with no airbags nonetheless. (EWWWW..Honda, what was I thinking....)

I hope the problem isn't real bad for you. However, if it detracts from the Lexperience, maybe you should start talking to some head honchos in Toyota City?

Good luck
Old 01-27-05, 11:35 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

If you're going to try and excercise the CA Lemon Law make sure you get paperwork from the dealer each time you take the car in. Also, don't mess around with Lexus if you are serious about getting your car repurchased. Get a lawyer that specializes in CA Lemon Law cases. They cost nothing to you and they let the manufacturer know you are serious. If you win your case, Lexus pays the lawyer's fee and if you don't win the lawyer gets nothing. I went through this process with VW last year and it couldn't have been easier. Just make sure you have the documentation ready. See http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1430528 for my VW experience.
Old 01-27-05, 11:01 PM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Clunking, driveshaft, lemon

Hey cyberflip9,

I can sym with you: after my first visit and resulting "explanation" -- I knew I was in for trouble and started carefully making sure that my complaints get properly entered in on every Dealer visit and saving them . After several 'lubes' and official replacement of the new and 'improved' driveshaft the problem came back, though, not as bad as before. Not wanting to deal with the reps at Torrance ( I didn't have good experience after several calls) I found a 'decent' attorney who performed a 'citrus' service. Email me for info.
Noteworthy to note, although this is a pretty good car - as far as quality is concerned -- it is made with cheap materials (thin cheapo leather, rusty nutts/bolts underneath, plastic, etc) -- definitely worse than LX or previous years cars.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-05, 05:39 PM
GX470forme
Driver School Candidate

METROPOL: So you were successful at Lemon Lawing the GX for the clunk issue?
Old 01-28-05, 07:46 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GX470forme
METROPOL: So you were successful at Lemon Lawing the GX for the clunk issue?
yes please do say something because my clunk is coming back (AGAIN!!! :EGADS for, the 4th or 5th time i think???? I've been at the shop for this issue so many times, i've tried out all their loaners already!! Well i guess it wont hurt to try an 05 loaner would it?? lol
Old 01-30-05, 11:48 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

has the driveshafts, especially the front shaft ever been greased

my 03 has never been greased and I now have 22k and they clunk is gone, it's odd that the truck had no clunk then it developed 1
Old 01-31-05, 12:28 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Thump

I have been reading threads on this issue for months, now. One school of thought is that you get certain idiosyncracies in a 4x4, so, so what? Neither of my two Expeditions or my Jeep had this problem, that's what.

I'm beginning to think everybody is on the wrong track with this. In my experience, if it were the drive shaft or similar components, the sound would be sharper; a hard clunk instead of a soft thump. In the past week or two I have overcome this on my GX by shifting out of OD and driving around town in 4th. The problem absolutely disappears. Try it and see what you discover.

So.....I'm thinking the thump is the transmission and has to do with shifting out of D. Something else I've noticed is that if my foot is light on the brake, the car starts moving after the thump which tells me that torque increase is another manifestation of the problem. That will not happen unless it is a transmission problem. It's the only component that can change torque when the engine RPM is constant.

I suggest we start asking questions about the transmission rather than the driveline. I'm thinking that it's an electronic shifter issue.

Bob Gore
Old 01-31-05, 03:41 PM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Post Transmission... very intersting, indeed.

Originally Posted by bobgore
I have been reading threads on this issue for months, now. One school of thought is that you get certain idiosyncracies in a 4x4, so, so what? Neither of my two Expeditions or my Jeep had this problem, that's what.

I'm beginning to think everybody is on the wrong track with this. In my experience, if it were the drive shaft or similar components, the sound would be sharper; a hard clunk instead of a soft thump. In the past week or two I have overcome this on my GX by shifting out of OD and driving around town in 4th. The problem absolutely disappears. Try it and see what you discover.

So.....I'm thinking the thump is the transmission and has to do with shifting out of D. Something else I've noticed is that if my foot is light on the brake, the car starts moving after the thump which tells me that torque increase is another manifestation of the problem. That will not happen unless it is a transmission problem. It's the only component that can change torque when the engine RPM is constant.

I suggest we start asking questions about the transmission rather than the driveline. I'm thinking that it's an electronic shifter issue.

Bob Gore

Hello Bob,

I think you have something here, although, there is a driveshaft component that has to be involved as well.

For example, on my several visits to one Lexus Dealer who "gently" swiped the GVW sticker of 6100lb on the drivers door window and re-applied an knew one on the inside with the 6000 one ( this was 2003 GX) -- all without telling me, and still in a denial mode -- they would often lube the driveshaft or something ( I doubt it was transmission) and the 'thump" would go a way for few days. Of course, already knowning that I had complained about the 'thump' many times, it'd be done without any notification, even when I'd bring the car in for a simple 'wash'
In fact, I've seen posts from some mechanically inclined folks who actually mentioned the lubing as a great solution, although temporary.

I haven't tried driving in 4th (regular Drive), when I get my 2005 GX, I will definitely put it through the tests. The problem usually appears after 2-3K miles, depending on your driving.

For those who asked, I may not have been happy with the way one dealer tried to hide the problem, while another , "Putnam Lexus in Redwood City, CA" came on top in every way, my car was 'lemoned' fairly quickly, but I did use an attorney, as I wasn't happy with the headquater's customer service folks, especially, when I discovered that my car didn't exactly qualify for the Tax loophole.

What I really like to know, if anyone has noticed the large amount of rust (underneath) that practically came with the car ( explained to me by one Lexus mechanic -- 'due to sea elements, the car gets shipped over the ocean..' )
The rust takes hold of some suspension bolts and other, in my view, significant components.
None of the older models Lexus cars -- not even my V8 Audi, parked on the ocean side street for 10 years, had anything as bad, pointing bluntly at part quality, imho.
I can only imagine what the car looks like underneath on the east Coast, with salt and snow elements..
Old 01-31-05, 04:32 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Gvwr

Metropol,

The sticker on my '04 says 6150 lbs GVWR, which means it qualifies for the tax deduction. I can't explain why your dealer changed yours, but my guess is mine is higher than yours (an '03?) because they added the extra 150 lbs on the '04 by making the third seat and the real airconditioner standard.
Old 01-31-05, 05:20 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgore
Metropol,

The sticker on my '04 says 6150 lbs GVWR, which means it qualifies for the tax deduction. I can't explain why your dealer changed yours, but my guess is mine is higher than yours (an '03?) because they added the extra 150 lbs on the '04 by making the third seat and the real airconditioner standard.
I don't think so. The third row seat and rear A/C were options when my truck was purchased in February of last year. The sticker says GVW is 6150 lbs.
Old 01-31-05, 06:41 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

corrosion, surface rust but nothing uncommon and nothing you could every break off, nothing like the original japanese vehicles that had bodies and frames that rusted away

Quick Reply: Burnt by Lexus Service for Clunk