GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Prado Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-05, 09:35 PM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prado Tail lights

Anyone have prado tail lights on their gx? I ordered and recieved mine. There are 2 clear lights, one for the signal, im wondering what to do with the other one. Anyone know?
Old 01-16-05, 10:21 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prado Lights

Originally Posted by GX4Life

Anyone have prado tail lights on their gx? I ordered and recieved mine. There are 2 clear lights, one for the signal, I'm wondering what to do with the other one. Anyone know?
How many lights are there and what are their colors ??

~ Cap
Old 01-16-05, 11:13 PM
Capirato
Racer

Anyone have prado tail lights on their gx? I ordered and recieved mine. There are 2 clear lights, one for the signal, I'm wondering what to do with the other one. Anyone know?
After doing some checking, I would be inclined to make both clear ones, the turn signals.

~ Cap
Old 01-17-05, 08:47 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i'm confused, what do you guys mean by 2 clear ones??? I know that the Prado lights have the Stop light and the turn signal light, and the back up lights (since there are no backup lights like the GX next to the plates)
Old 01-17-05, 10:04 AM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

Yes, there is the stop light, the turn signal light, and the back up light. On the GX there is the turn signal light, and 2 stop lights all using clear bulbs. So once i replace the gx tail light with the prado's, 1 stop light bulb will go in the red part of the taillight, then i will replace the clear turn signal light with an amber bulb which will go in 1 of the clear parts. Then there is the 2nd clear part which i dont know what to do with. there will be an extra wire with a clear bulb for the gx's 2nd stop light. should i replace it with a red bulb? i dont know how that would look when breaking with the 2 different red lights.
Old 01-17-05, 12:40 PM
Capirato
Racer

There will be an extra wire with a clear bulb for the gx's 2nd stop light. should I replace it with a red bulb? I dont know how that would look when braking with the 2 different red lights.
If it was me, I would cut off the extra tail/stop light wire and splice it onto the turn signal wire. (you may have to do some modifying since the tail/stop bulb has two filaments and the turn signal has a single filament) Then you will have the tail/stop light on top with the red lens. Then you can buy some yellow bulbs that will go in the two clear lenses.

If it becomes too much of a problem, I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

~ Cap
Old 01-17-05, 03:38 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Anyone have prado tail lights on their gx? I ordered and recieved mine. There are 2 clear lights, one for the signal, im wondering what to do with the other one. Anyone know?
Inquiring minds want to know... Where did you get yours from and how much was the damage (product, shipping, etc) and how long did you have to wait?
Old 01-17-05, 07:31 PM
4everlexus
Rookie

Default Prado Tailight Pics?

Yes, there is the stop light, the turn signal light, and the back up light. On the GX there is the turn signal light, and 2 stop lights all using clear bulbs. So once i replace the gx tail light with the prado's, 1 stop light bulb will go in the red part of the taillight, then i will replace the clear turn signal light with an amber bulb which will go in 1 of the clear parts. Then there is the 2nd clear part which i dont know what to do with. there will be an extra wire with a clear bulb for the gx's 2nd stop light. should i replace it with a red bulb? i dont know how that would look when breaking with the 2 different red lights.

Do you have b/4 and after pics to post?

Thanks...
Old 01-17-05, 09:02 PM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

I ordered the prado tail lights from my cousin in the philippines. They cost around $115 dollars for the pair. I didn't need to pay for any shipping because a relative of mine was there on vacation and brought it here. However right now I actually only have the right side, because the toyota dealer used the other left side for someones prado for replacement. The left side had to be ordered directly from japan which takes about 2 weeks, because they rarely stock those tail lights in the parts department. Regardless, my aunt will be bring it here next week. I could have easily ordered korean tail lights for the prado, however i wanted the original toyota ones. Hopefully it will look sweet with the ash blue. I already have an idea, but i cant wait till i install them. It should be done hopefully by the end of next week. I will post before and after pics.

Capirato:

Thanks thats a good idea, I wil definitely consider that. I hope it is not that complicated and doesn't become a problem.

bunka:

I just got my GX christmas week and I ordered the tail lights about 3 weeks ago.
Old 01-17-05, 09:56 PM
Capirato
Racer

Capirato:

Thanks thats a good idea, I wil definitely consider that. I hope it is not that complicated and doesn't become a problem.
Just remember, if it becomes a problem, I'll be happy to take them off your hands.

After reviewing some Prado pictures and taking a good look at the clear lenses and the tail gate, I have determined that one of the clear lenses holds the back-up lights, as there are none on the tailgate.

~ Cap
Old 01-17-05, 10:35 PM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

Yes, one is for the back up light. Im thinking of just putting a clear bulb in there, and not connecting it. Just have the 1 stop light and 1 turn signal. I really dont feel like cutting and splicing wires, especially if i need to put the original tail lights back in one day. So its either going to be a red bulb or a non functioning clear bulb.Thats what im thinking.
Old 01-17-05, 10:58 PM
4everlexus
Rookie

Yes, one is for the back up light. Im thinking of just putting a clear bulb in there, and not connecting it. Just have the 1 stop light and 1 turn signal. I really dont feel like cutting and splicing wires, especially if i need to put the original tail lights back in one day. So its either going to be a red bulb or a non functioning clear bulb.Thats what im thinking.
This is a Prado with the lens you are speaking of correct?
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-prado-tail.jpg  
Old 01-17-05, 11:08 PM
4everlexus
Rookie

Default Prado vs Lexus Lens

Originally Posted by 4everlexus
This is a Prado with the lens you are speaking of correct?
My feeble attempt to compare...for those that are interested!
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-prado-vs-lexus.jpg  
Old 01-18-05, 06:39 AM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

yep thats it. wow that prado looks sweet.
Old 01-18-05, 05:45 PM
Bills
Driver School Candidate

Default GX Lights

I love the lights on the prado and i found a pic of them on a gx.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/364361

Quick Reply: Prado Tail lights