GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Prado Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 08:27 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so those pix were MAC's GX???
Old 02-21-05, 02:30 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pix

Originally Posted by Rx900

so those pix were MAC's GX???
MAC was referring to previous pictures I had posted. The latest one is my GX which shows the Stop and Turn Signal lights on.

~ Cap
Old 02-21-05, 02:48 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cap,

Yes we have the same lenses. I had to to some modification to the housing to accept dual filament bulbs for the clear receptacles. I rewired the lenses to be able to accomplish this. Yours looks great! Keep up the modding...

MAC
Old 04-12-05, 07:07 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Prado Tailights part #

Capirato or anyone that knows the OEM part # from toyota for the taillights I going away to my country for two weeks and they have the prados all over so i going to see if i pick up the lights over there.
Old 05-03-05, 05:42 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Capirato
Strat.....

The bulb number for the Back Up lamp is 921.. I bought a pair of 921NA which are amber for use as an extra Turn Signal..

It is possible to connect the Back Up lamp to the lamps on the rear door for two extra Back Up lamps, but I opted to use the bottom clear lens as an extra Turn Signal.

The other two lamps are the same as comes with the GX, except the clear single filament is amber.

~ Cap
Where did you get bulbs you mention on this thread?
Old 05-03-05, 07:36 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prado Light Bulbs

Originally Posted by angelslex

Where did you get bulbs you mention on this thread?
Angelslex.....

The Prado Light Assemblies came with light bulbs. I just replaced the two small clear ones with orange ones, bought at a local Auto Parts Store.

~ Cap
Old 05-04-05, 11:52 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Angelslex.....

The Prado Light Assemblies came with light bulbs. I just replaced the two small clear ones with orange ones, bought at a local Auto Parts Store.

~ Cap
Not my prado taillights . man the guy ask me if i need it the bulbs and the socket i told him that i will be using the same ones from the GX what a big mistake
Old 05-10-05, 08:22 PM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

angelslex,
You definately need the prado sockets. The gx sockets do not fit into the prado taillights. As far as the bulbs, the turn signal and brake/tail light bulbs are interchangeable. The third socket on the prado lights requires a 921 bulb. You can order the sockets and bulbs from Japanparts (toyota genuine bulbs/sockets for prado land cruiser--cost 5,360 JPY for all three). JP can take a week or so to respond to email questions. However, I found them to be quite prompt in getting orders out (usually received shipment in less than one week after placing order)
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-bulb.jpg  
Old 05-11-05, 01:52 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Strat is that for the whole set or just one side ?I got a qoute from Ken JapanParts for 10,000JPY +Shipping to NY Total of 12,105JPY. Is this right?How much did you pay for yours and how ?(credit card)
Old 05-11-05, 06:33 PM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

Default a bit high

angelslex,
the price that i gave you 5,360 jpy was for the full pair (total of 6 bulbs/sockets). i initially ordered the clear taillamps from JP which did not come with bulbs and sockets. JP also didn't know this as well and that may be why they gave me a better price. 12,000 jpy for the pair is more than twice what I paid using a credit card. I also ordered the red taillamps from them which DID come with bulbs and sockets (also about $150 cheaper than the clears counting the additional charge for the bulbs/sockets). I can feel your pain as it took me several months to make this mod work.
Old 05-11-05, 08:23 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Default price to high

Thanks I double check with Japanparts. hopefully I'll get a discount.
Old 02-20-06, 06:44 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Prado Tail Lights on '06 GX470

Angelslex.....

~ Cap
I ordered a pair of the OEM Prado tail lights from Japan Parts.

When I did the dry run on the new lights, the driver side tail light works fine as plug-n-play. The top red section is the brake/tail light and the first clear section is the turn signal.

For some reason, the passenger side doesn't work. The tail light doesn't illuminate and when I press the brake, the top red brake light and the bottom white reverse light both illuminate.

At first I thought there might be something wrong with the passenger side tail light I received, but I tried plugging both taill lights in on each side. The driver side works fine with either light assembly, but the passenger side does not.

I would think that the wiring would be identical on both sides, but the results are different.

My factory tail lights work fine, but the Prado's don't work on the passenger side.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-20-06, 09:24 PM
strat1
Driver School Candidate

Default not plug n play

Sorry to break the bad news but if you search the posts you'll find out that the passenger side prado tail light assembly is wired differently. This mod is not plug n play. Cap has done this mod himself. I had one of the toyota dealerships rewire the connections for me to make the passenger side work. I also had the third socket wired to function as an xtra turn signal. I think i paid around $120 for the mod (labor that is) and haven't had any problems.
Old 02-21-06, 01:59 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick response.

I found the other threads.

I'll see if I can figure out how to change the wiring on the passenger side so it works.
Old 02-22-06, 07:21 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Thank to angelslex & cap I was able to modify the wire harness in 5 min. work great! thank guy!

But I used the third light as a reverse light as it was intended for. I also replaced the big reverse lights on the door with super bright bulbs, make easier for the camera to see at night. It sort of like a mini rear driving light. Work out great!
Attached Thumbnails Prado Tail lights-parado.jpg  

Quick Reply: Prado Tail lights