GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX is awesome in the snow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 08:01 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GX is awesome in the snow!

Some of you may have been reading about the series of Snow storms in the Sierras around the Tahoe area. The roads in and out are currently closed but my Wife and I managed to sneak out with our GX before they closed them.

Just wanted to report that the GX is as solid as a rock in the snow. The four wheel drive works flawlessly and it barrels over snow like it's not even there. Great feeling of security. Even in near white out conditions. We just kept rolling along when many others had pulled over to wait it out or gotten stuck in a ditch. I can't imagine much in the way of snow that could stop it. I'll try and post some pictures later. Right now, we are gonna have some Pizza and relax! What a drive home...
Old 01-09-05, 08:44 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bareyb
Some of you may have been reading about the series of Snow storms in the Sierras around the Tahoe area. The roads in and out are currently closed but my Wife and I managed to sneak out with our GX before they closed them.

Just wanted to report that the GX is as solid as a rock in the snow. The four wheel drive works flawlessly and it barrels over snow like it's not even there. Great feeling of security. Even in near white out conditions. We just kept rolling along when many others had pulled over to wait it out or gotten stuck in a ditch. I can't imagine much in the way of snow that could stop it. I'll try and post some pictures later. Right now, we are gonna have some Pizza and relax! What a drive home...
sounds like fun, post up pix! and btw, send some snow down here in Fresno!!!!!
Old 01-09-05, 10:48 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

you did all that with the OEM street tires I've found that 2 1/2 feet of snow will not stop these things
Old 01-09-05, 03:46 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bareyb

What brand of OEM tires are you running on your GX?
Old 01-09-05, 06:46 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PitBull
What brand of OEM tires are you running on your GX?
Michelins. No chains necessary...
Old 01-10-05, 02:21 PM
SacKen
Driver

I totally agree!!! I was in South Lake Tahoe during the big storms between Xmas and New Years. The GX drove on the snow like it was a sunday drive in spring. I tried my best to get this thing to slide at a corner, but the system just kept me going in the right direction. After the big dump of 6 feet between midnight and 8 am, I simply wiped off my windows and the driver door and mashed through! I was making fresh tracks down the street with no slipping or sliding to speak of. Nothing like plowing through fresh snow banks!

There were also an '04 4Runner SR5, 93 Jeep Cherokee and a '02 Chevy Tahoe up there with us. The Tahoe had to have almost all the snow in front and around it shovelled before it would move. On other vehicles tracks, it was fine but sucked at making fresh tracks. Tires kept spinning. The Jeep had to be pulled out. He swears it was because he was on a flat of ice and was in a pit that forced him to go uphill to get out. But I parked in the same spot the following night (3 more feet of snow) and had absolutely no problem getting out. The 4Runner and I just mashed around the neighborhood like it was a Toyota/Lexus commercial. The 4Runner was actually a rental and my sister-in-law is now looking to buy one she had so much fun and was so impressed.

This thing rocks! I'm also on Michelins. I also took some pix and will get them off the camera asap.
Old 01-10-05, 03:30 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

That is good news, but the way the weather is going around here SW Missouri this year it might never snow. It's going to be in the 60's tommorrow.
Old 01-14-05, 09:26 AM
SacKen
Driver

I finally got around to getting my pictures off the camera. Hey bareyb, where are yours? Keep in mind that 2-days prior to these, the ground was absolutely bare and void of any snow.

Unfortunately, I did not have anyone take pictures of the GX and the 4Runner mashin' around the neighborhood making fresh tracks in snow that was above the bumper. Hopefully it will dump again when I am up there in a couple weeks and I'll try to get some action shots.

Pic description:

1) What we saw when we woke up. Starting from left: GX, 4Runner, Tahoe. Since the snow kept the vehicle shape, it is sort-of an illusion to how much is there. Use the side mirrors as a reference. And we had the windshield wipers lifted up so they wouldn't stick to the glass. Those are the very tips you see poking through.
Attached Thumbnails GX is awesome in the snow!-snow_cover.jpg  

Last edited by SacKen; 01-14-05 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added wiper comment.
Old 01-14-05, 09:27 AM
SacKen
Driver

2) A Jeep Cherokee that was parked on the side.
Attached Thumbnails GX is awesome in the snow!-jeep_cover.jpg  
Old 01-14-05, 09:31 AM
SacKen
Driver

3) Moved enough snow to see the spoiler to get a reference for where the top of the GX is. My GX was parked closest to the house, so the ground near the rear doesn't have as much snow as what is in front of it.
Attached Thumbnails GX is awesome in the snow!-snow_lex.jpg  
Old 01-14-05, 09:33 AM
SacKen
Driver

4) The poor jeep with $800 worth of mud & snow tires getting pulled out by the Tahoe after the rest of us already mashed through and flattened the driveway for him. Ha Ha HA... he talks so much crap about his jeep. We will never let him live this down. I was hoping to pull him out with the GX to make the picture better, but the Tahoe beat me to him.
Attached Thumbnails GX is awesome in the snow!-stuck_jeep.jpg  
Old 01-14-05, 09:33 AM
SacKen
Driver

5) This is 4 days after the previous pictures. I just wanted to get a picture of the snow bank relative to the GX as I was heading home, considering there was no snow just 6-days earlier.
Attached Thumbnails GX is awesome in the snow!-lex_bank.jpg  
Old 01-14-05, 09:56 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are some great photos! Hard to believe GX will actually drive through it.
Old 01-14-05, 10:26 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GX really shines in snow

Our GXs really shine when the weather is bad. I live in Las Vegas where the mountains here just got slammed with major snow storms. We had enough recently to have several avalanches at our local ski area killing one person so far. I go up there with my GX once a week to go skiing and the GX just plows through the white stuff like its water. Standard Dunlops from factory are sufficient to go up icy roads and 6 inch snow drifts.

Im so happy with the GX
Old 01-14-05, 10:38 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Great story and pics! Looks like fun! I still have not had a chance to drive in the deep snow yet but am looking forward to it.

Quick Reply: GX is awesome in the snow!