GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Carseat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 08:05 AM
StevenS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carseat?

Hello everyone,
Have a question. My daughter turned 1 year old, so I bought a new Britax Maraphon Carseat that has Latches. The previous carseat was installed using seatbelts. Wanted to use Latch option for Britax and found that the only latch option available on GX is to install carseat in the middle of the seat. Could not find
a latch to install it in leftmost position. Is it right or I just missed it?
Old 08-23-04, 06:30 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

There are two latch positions in the rear, one on each side. There is no latch position in the middle. If you lift the flap of leather that is on the seat crease on each side you should have access to the latches.

If you put the child seat behind the passenger one, you should be able to fold the larger section of the split back down when you need it and leave the child seat in place.
Old 08-24-04, 05:48 AM
StevenS
Driver School Candidate

Default Latches

You probably didn't understand me. I found the latches, but they are located on the left and right side of the middle seat. So, in order to use them you should install carseat on the middle seat and not behind the driver seat (which is usually preferrable). So, I guess, I am stuck with either using seatbelts to hold the carseat or have a carseat in the middle position.
Old 08-24-04, 07:41 PM
tcesario
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Latches

I have 2 latch seats in my car, one behind the passenger, and one behind the driver. There are latch attachment points at the far ends of the 2nd row seats to allow this. Perhaps you just missed these outside latch points?

-Tony

Originally posted by StevenS
You probably didn't understand me. I found the latches, but they are located on the left and right side of the middle seat. So, in order to use them you should install carseat on the middle seat and not behind the driver seat (which is usually preferrable). So, I guess, I am stuck with either using seatbelts to hold the carseat or have a carseat in the middle position.
Old 08-25-04, 05:56 AM
StevenS
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you very much Toni!

I will check it today when I come home. Yes, I missed it. I happy that I was wrong thinking that Lexus did this a wrong way. Thank you very much! This forum is very helpful.
P.S. Actually I want to mention that this forum has very little info about the GX (I had a X5 before and the forum is full of different kind of info starting from numerous problems and then modifications). Maybe it is because there not many people who own the car or because different kind of people own it.
Old 09-20-04, 10:04 PM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

I'm at a loss here also - we tried to hook up our latch carseat to the 2nd row drivers side, but because of the location of the LATCH, it was sitting halfway on the middle and half on the seat - totally unstable. I'm using the latch on the far left side and the one on the middle, but the one on the left isn't really too far to the left - about 6-8 inches inward from the start of the seat for some stupid reason. Can you take a picture of how yours are hooked up or post a detailed explanation?
Old 09-20-04, 11:12 PM
tcesario
Driver School Candidate

Here is a picture of a latch car seat installed behind the passenger seat. I wasn't sure when you say "left side" which side you meant. Does this picture help you?

-Tony

Originally posted by teutonictr
I'm at a loss here also - we tried to hook up our latch carseat to the 2nd row drivers side, but because of the location of the LATCH, it was sitting halfway on the middle and half on the seat - totally unstable. I'm using the latch on the far left side and the one on the middle, but the one on the left isn't really too far to the left - about 6-8 inches inward from the start of the seat for some stupid reason. Can you take a picture of how yours are hooked up or post a detailed explanation?
Attached Thumbnails Carseat?-car-seat.jpg  
Old 09-20-04, 11:16 PM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

We decided to go with behind the drivers seat because it is too far to reach from the passenger side (my wife can't reach that far). The middle would be ideal, but the stupid LATCH anchors cross the 60/40 split, so you would render the split seat worthless if you did it that way.
Old 10-20-04, 11:15 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The location of the latches on the GX suck. Period. We have two car seats and want them obviously to be behind the driver and passenger seat leaving room in the middle for a skinny kid to sit normally. The odd location of the latches makes two car seats use up practically the whole rear seat.

Bad job Lexus! Bad job!

So I guess we stick to using the seat belts like always. Hey, I've gotten so fast at using seatbelts it's probably a timesaver over the latch system anyway... At least the rear hooks are in a logical location...