GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear cargo cover

Old 04-13-04, 03:26 PM
RSS67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear cargo cover

I have a GX470 with the 3rd row seats, I want to remove the seats and install the GX rear cargo cover. Does anyone know if this can be done ? Where can I get factory cargo cover and attachments ? Has anyone done this swap ?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-04, 04:13 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Instead of the cargo cover, I went with dark tinting on all the rear windows and medium tint on the driver and front passenger windows. You can't see inside the truck's rear storage area (third row seats have been taken out) through any of the rear windows, even in broad daylight.
Old 04-14-04, 06:41 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think that is possible because the brackets that hold the cover are part of the car. They are built-in the rear cargo area. The rear cargo cover is standard if you do not have the 3rd row seats. After looking at mine, I don't think there is a way to add them. I am glad I did not get the 3rd row seats, they just take up valuable storage room and from what I have read don't really serve any other purpose since they are too small for adults to use, basically just for small kids.

Last edited by CdeFabio; 04-14-04 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-14-04, 02:25 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

WOW!!! A 2004 Blizzard Pearl and NO third row. That's really neat. I made a fuss with the dealership owner about having to pay for the third row seat and rear entertainment, just to get the KDSS option. I did talk them into giving me a cargo area carpet for a non third row GX. This way, the mat doesn't have the slits in it where the third row mounting brackets are located

Anyway, looking at the manual, I'm sure you are correct about no being able to mount the cargo cover. You would have to replace the third row side panels with two row panels at a minimum.
Old 04-14-04, 05:13 PM
RSS67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply's. I was just trying to find a way to cover all the stuff I have to carry (the GX does not have any storage spaces).
Old 04-15-04, 05:45 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

I agree with gs400jon, dark tinting is the way to go. I have been toying with the idea of going with a darker tint than the factory but have not made up my mind yet.
I did have to wait for about 4 weeks for my dealer to get mine in since they all were coming in with the 3rd row option, I am glad I waited! I also asked about getting the NAV option but they said I would have to get the 3rd row seats which I did not want to pay for becuse they are basically worthless and you loose the cargo cover and some of the space the side panels take up. I would have liked the KDSS option but they said it only comes on loaded GX's. How do you like yours? My wife and I really liked the way the 4Runner drove with their version of it, I believe it was called X-Reas, but our dealer said the wait would be longer if we wanted KDSS and we needed the towing option which was not available with it. Do you have a lot of body roll around corners? That is one thing I am still getting used to. Overall, I love it!
Old 04-15-04, 11:48 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

The AVS dial on my truck is on the second setting from the left. I used to drive a 1999 GS400 so I was quite amazed at the cornering capability of the truck considering the high center of gravity. The Michleins may make a difference too but I'm guessing there. Dont' think I am driving this car exactly like the GS (yet or probably ever). The mileage is still under 800 miles so I am driving "normally" and experience very little lean in the corners/curves (and there's still two more settings to go for full Sport). I was disappointed that the third row seats mean no coat hanger hooks or cargo cover but was determined to get the KDSS option, which is supposedly unique in the industry. The only reason the Navigation/ML option was worthwhile is the backup camera. Yeah, the navigation is a nice toy but I don't really need it. Having to go to the touch screen method for climate and audio controls is not my favorite either. I like buttons and *****! Listen to me complain. I love this truck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-04, 01:05 PM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

I know! I am used to driving a sports car with no body roll so I am "re-learning" how to drive and I have to keep reminding myself this is a SUV. I have my suspension dial usually on the second from the left or one notch to the right (toward sport) and on curvy roads or tight corners I can feel body roll. Although it is less noticable with the suspension set more to sport. I have the Michleins also so I cannot say they help or not. The one option I wish I had was the backup camera! When I test drove it I did not really pay attention to backing up but after driving it the first week I found out you cannot see past the huge head rests on the back seats. Being "directionally challenged" I would have liked the NAV but I am with you on the controls, I like the feel of buttons when your eyes are on the road. I am not sure if I would want to give those up. Overall, the truck is awesome!!! No regrets at all!

Last edited by CdeFabio; 04-15-04 at 01:07 PM.