GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Driveshaft - thump gone

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-04, 08:29 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, is it true that the clunk still comes back, but not as back as b4 the driveshaft was replaced?? i just noticed 2day, after driving 100 miles on my new driveshaft that its starting to come back again, but not as a bad bump, like a slow hit like thing, u know. Now I'm getting worried, WHATS THE FINAL FIX FOR THIS DRIVESHAFT PROBLEM????????
Old 05-01-04, 09:07 PM
brent0226
Driver

Our new driveshaft has completely eliminated the thump. Sorry to hear yours didn't work
Old 05-02-04, 01:29 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

it's a lot better now but, remember that the clunk is like a fast bump, like u were rear ended? now it comes back as, a slow motion rear end, that's how i can explain it. but one thing is for sure is that it doesn't come back as often as it used to. but there's still the slow motion rear end, or clunk, that occurs once in a long while..
Old 05-20-04, 10:54 AM
tcesario
Driver School Candidate

I am trying to work out the thumping problem with my dealer and am using this thread as support. Thanks for everybody's comments to date.

I feel the thump in my GX at two different times (both happen randomly for me, like 10-20% of the time, though they might not occur for days on end, like when I try to show a dealer):

1) When at a complete stop, foot firmly on the brake, sometimes up to 30 seconds after the stop (like at a signal light). Not associated with air conditioner cycling...I have verified this.

2) When leaving a stop and releasing the brake, occasionally the GX will thump.

So, for those that have had a repair implemented to correct these thumps (ie. new driveshaft), did you have both of these types of thumps before the repair, and which thumps were actually corrected? I imagine that these different thumps are related?

Also, for those that had the repair, has the problem resurfaced?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-20-04, 12:56 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thumping problem is pretty common amount the 03 GX. When I brought my GX in for the thumping problem, the service writer told me there's a fix before I even finished my setence.

I suggest you go to other dealers if possible.
Old 05-20-04, 01:14 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

lazy dealers are the suck
Old 05-20-04, 02:01 PM
PEK01
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Update on thumping

Dealer finally received the new drivetrain kit and was installing it on my '03 GX. If you are having any difficulty with your dealer working on this issue and ordering the kit call the Lexus Customer Service number. They will log the call and will follow-up with the dealer directly. IT IS a known issue and does have a fix.

I decided to negotiate a deal to trade in my '03 for an '04 and could not be more pleased. The car is essentially the same except for the addition of the KDSS suspension and no tow package. There is NO thumping or drivetrain issues at all.

Work the system and the Lexus process to get a resolution....they will come through for you. It may take a little effort but they are Lexus and do want you to be pleased in the end.
Old 05-20-04, 07:15 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Update on thumping

Originally posted by PEK01

I decided to negotiate a deal to trade in my '03 for an '04 and could not be more pleased. The car is essentially the same except for the addition of the KDSS suspension and no tow package. There is NO thumping or drivetrain issues at all.

you actually got a negotiation to have ur gx changed because of the thump? or is it possible aside from doing the stupid lemon law? and btw, did they fix it completely?
Old 05-24-04, 07:57 AM
PEK01
Driver School Candidate

Default Negotiation

The drivetrain was replaced and the thump was gone as far as service techs were concerned. I never took the car back. I worked the deal and simultaneously the drivetrain was delivered and new one was ready for pick-up.
Old 07-18-04, 03:09 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

i got a drivetrain on order
Old 07-18-04, 06:32 PM
geewiss
Rookie

Well I have had my driveshaft replaced about 2 weeks ago. I have driven the truck probably about 400 miles since I have had it replaced. I am pretty sure that I have felt the thump again. It was very faint but it was there. I am going to give it some time before I start complaining to lexus again. I really dont feel like going through this whole process again!!!!! This is BS!!!

Anyone have a good lawyer to help me get this thing taken back???
Old 07-19-04, 04:14 AM
RAINMN60
Driver School Candidate

My thump is back too. I put about 300 miles on the car since the driveshaft was replaced before I felt the thump. It was faint at first but now seems to be getting worse. I have an appointment tomorrow to bring the car in for service. The service rep wants me to 'test drive' with the service manager. The problem, as you know, doesn't occur all the time, so it may be difficult to reproduce it with the service manager.

I plan on calling Lexus Customer Service today to complain again. I have very little tolerance for what is happening to a $50k car with 8,000 miles on it. Obviously, they can't fix the problem. If I have too, I will pursue the lemon law.

I'm wondering whether or not the new builds have the problem resolved. I took delivery of my car November 30, 2003 -- build is "B." Does anyone know this?

Thx.

Last edited by RAINMN60; 07-19-04 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-30-04, 06:26 AM
AMVAT
Driver School Candidate

I had my driveshaft replaced at about 7100 miles and the thump was got for about two weeks. Then i got the big "hit in the rear" feeling again. Took it back in, they polished the splines on the new driveshaft and added more (more than Lexus recommends!) grease to the shaft. 1500 miles later, the thump came back. Not as bad as before, but definetly still there.

There is also a "loosness" in the drive system. Everytime I pull away from a stop or come to a stop there is a feeling like the rear axle is wandering around, not really attached to the truck. Any thoughts?
Old 07-30-04, 06:56 AM
cmoore1353
Driver School Candidate

I had mine replaced as well. One night I was driving and every time I came to a stop it sounded like something in the back was wandering around. I picked up my cousin just to make sure I wasn't hearing things and he heard the same thing. The next morning I had to drive 171 miles for a meeting and I called Lexus and told them there was no way I was driving this piece of junk that far not knowing if it was going to stop on me. When I went out there, I went for a test drive with the manager and he heard it as well, but it was not as loud as the night before. They kept it overnight, and didn't find anything wrong. I spend more time at the dealership than anywhere else, they might as well give me a desk. And this is not the only problem.....they replaced my left turn signal lamp about a month ago because it blew, and guess what? This morning it blew again. My left passenger window is broken as well.....when you roll it up it keeps coming down. I tell you....I hate this car!!!!!
Old 07-30-04, 08:05 AM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Amen Brother! On my second GX470 and they are junk at best. Live with it and remember the brand name brand when you purchase a new one. Having owned eight (good) Lexus vehicals, this is truly the very worst of the pack. And don't any of the pretend GX470 lovers jump my case, tell them how you really feel.

Quick Reply: New Driveshaft - thump gone