GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Not Starting Consistently

Old 04-05-04, 08:02 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not Starting Consistently

About two weeks ago, my GX began not starting immediately. Instead it would sometimes take 8-10 seconds to start. At first I thought maybe it was bad fuel.

As time progressed, it seemed to happen when the engine was warm or cold, more frequently and sometimes the starter would reach it's max time and then turn off. You'd try it again and then it would start. Sometimes it would even start and then a few seconds later stall.

My assumption is that the chip that negotiates with the engine immobilizer has a problem. But I tried both keys so it must be the vehicle. When the car does start it runs great, so it certainly isn't mechanical. The starter sounds normal, so it certainly isn't the starter. Battery is fine. Car only has 1100 mile on it.

Just Friday, Car Spa installed a Remote Starter. But this problem has been happening for two weeks. The first thing I hear from Pohanka Lexus here in VA is "It must be the remote starter" Just what I need.

They currently have the vehicle in for repair so I await their response. I'll post more when I know it.

Last edited by looknow12; 04-05-04 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 08:42 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

So, the dealer made a big issue over the fact that I had a remote starter installed. I know for a fact that this problem occurred before the remote starter was installed. Last evening I received a call that the dealer was trying to get money from Car Spa. Funny they would try to go to another party for the bill instead of approaching me with the issue. Kind of in bad taste. So I went down there to say that there shouldn't be a charge for it.

When I originally brought it in, I asked them to treat it as if it was a factory warranty issue because of the obvious details. They never had me sign a work order and they took the vehicle while I waited to check out the key's chip and plug into the computer. Later I arranged for Car Spa to come by and take a look at it with them. Again my idea behind this was to let Car Spa remove it so the dealer could get it out of their mind that the remote starter had anything to do with it. The problem seems to be temporarily corrected (remote starter installed), but if the dealer didn't do anything, I know it will come back. If the problem existed before the remote starter it only stands to reason the remote starter has nothing to do with it.

So I spoke to the service manager (Doug Moultrie) at Pohanka Lexus. I explained that I brought it in as a warranty issue, and if there were going to be charges, I should have been notified in advance. If I knew the dealer was going to charge me, I would have straightened that out in advance. he says "Well you can see I don't feel good about it". I said, "Doug, I know I'll be back and you'll see this is a warranty issue. It only stands to reason". He continued to have a sarcastic smile on his face and said "Well I guess next time will be a bit careful about the work order in advance." That conversation had ended and there wasn't more I could add to smoothen things out so I then began speaking to Kyle MacNaughton, Lexus East Coast Rep about another topic. See Lexus says "NO" to buy back. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=110785

So after a few minutes waiting for the service writer to finalize the paper work, I felt bad because Doug said he didn't feel good about it. I went back to Doug and said "You know, when I brought the vehicle in, I did specifically say 'Troubleshoot it like it is a factory issue'. I always thought this was a warranty issue." He said somethign negative (don't exactly recall) and I replied "I didn't have to come back, I just wanted to let you know this so maybe you'd feel better about it" He said very sarcastically, "Ohh, well now I feel much better about it." I continued on with a little more chatter and he averted his eyes down at some paper work obviously ignoring me. This all occured next to Kyle MacNaughton who was sitting in his office.

Can you believe this is how a Service Manager is acting? Firstly, if he wasn't going to charge me, make me feel good about it, not guilty. And lastly, he in the end was just plain rude.

Long story short, I'll never take my vehicle back to Pohanka Lexus Service again. They are rude and try to pass the buck when the problem isn't a text book problem.

Last edited by looknow12; 04-06-04 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 07:37 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical of a dealership to not want to look at the problem cause their is an aftermarket device attached to it.

I would really like to know how much money they wanter from the installer.

How exactly is the keyless entry connected cause their are several 4Runner owners with remote start with no problems
Old 04-06-04, 08:49 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer is giving a load of BS which is strange for a Lexus dealership.

Most dealers (for luxury car makes anyway) get paid very well by the car companies to resolve warranty issues since they generally pass the cost on to them, especially in terms of recalls. This is why I expect a lot from a service department. It shouldn't cost them a penny to fix a warranty issue. In fact, most actually make money doing the necessary repair.

I love dropping the "Magnusson Moss Warranty Act" on them since it seems to get them quivering in their shoes that you actually know something about your rights to have aftermarket items installed.

For reference, I have a great Viper remote start in my GX and have never had a single problem ignition-wise so I know that is a load of crap.

And what dealer actually goes directly to a third party to get money rather than putting the issue in your hands? Something is wrong with that... Did Car Spa confirm that the dealer was trying to get money from them or was that just a line they fed you?
Old 04-07-04, 01:48 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mogulbumm
The dealer is giving a load of BS which is strange for a Lexus dealership.

Most dealers (for luxury car makes anyway) get paid very well by the car companies to resolve warranty issues since they generally pass the cost on to them, especially in terms of recalls. This is why I expect a lot from a service department. It shouldn't cost them a penny to fix a warranty issue. In fact, most actually make money doing the necessary repair.

I love dropping the "Magnusson Moss Warranty Act" on them since it seems to get them quivering in their shoes that you actually know something about your rights to have aftermarket items installed.

For reference, I have a great Viper remote start in my GX and have never had a single problem ignition-wise so I know that is a load of crap.

And what dealer actually goes directly to a third party to get money rather than putting the issue in your hands? Something is wrong with that... Did Car Spa confirm that the dealer was trying to get money from them or was that just a line they fed you?
The dealer would have had to come out of pocket if it is not a cut and dry warranty issue. So this I understand. But based on the other facts I told them there is something wrong with the vehicle and they chose to blame it on the after market.

Car Spa told me they had requested money from them. BTW, I've had Car Spa install the same remote start in my 03 GX and it worked fine.