GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

After market tow hitch w/KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 05:38 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: CAP and PPRICE

Originally posted by Tony
CAP you should trade your notched panel for PPRICE's straight panel if your vehicles are the same color. PPRICE my notched panel came with the truck from the factory because it had the tow prep package.
Tony.....

Too late, I have already ordered it. Cost, $85 plus tax.

~ Cap
Old 04-16-04, 07:04 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Cap

uses a metal plate to cover up the bracket where the bumper cut out is.
Hey Tony.......

Finally bought and installed the plain metal plate to replace the one with a notch.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails After market tow hitch w/KDSS-plate2.jpg  
Old 04-16-04, 11:18 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cap that looks good

hey cap was it hard to install? Where did you get it and how does it mount on take some close ups please.
Old 04-17-04, 12:55 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Cap that looks good

Hey cap was it hard to install? Where did you get it and how does it mount on? Take some close ups please.
Tony.....

It wasn't easy. Got it from Lexus dealer. Had to remove a couple of screws and four clips from behind the old plate with the notch. I didn't use the clips on the new plate, just the two screws, as the plate snaps into place.

Also had to shave some metal off of a bracket with a Sawzall. The bracket was keeping the plate from snapping into place.

~ Cap
Old 04-17-04, 01:03 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Cap that looks good

take some close ups.
Attached Thumbnails After market tow hitch w/KDSS-plate4.jpg  
Old 05-04-04, 09:38 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Cap

I saw a real rare 6000lb Lexus tow hitch on another 04 GX at the dealership and the hitch looks very similar to this one execpt the factory hitch uses a metal plate to cover up the bracket where the bumper cut out is.
Hi Tony.....

I too, saw a GX with the same tow hitch you mention, here in Evansville, Indiana. Also, had the metal plate to cover the openning of the notch.

~ Cap
Old 05-10-04, 08:48 AM
Scoop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hitch and KDSS

Any additional information about KDSS and towing? I was alarmed to read in my owners manual that towing is not recommended if you have KDSS. I had not read or heard that prior to buying my GX470 with KDSS. I'm about to purchase a small sport boat and was planning to tow it with my GX470.

From what the owners manual says, I'm pretty sure I don't have the wiring harnesses. I called my Lexus service advisor this morning and he said you can tow with KDSS. He didn't elaborate, just said to go to any place that installs hitches and I should be fine.

I see there have been a few comments on this thread about this issue, any updates would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-10-04, 09:58 PM
advphoto
Driver School Candidate

Smile Hitch with KDSS

I too have a GX with KDSS and only need a hitch for a bike rack. I am intrested to know which hitch you are going to use. Also do you realy need the knock-out part for the bumper? It appears from the pictures that the hitch is well below the bumper Line?

Please reply.
Thanks
Old 05-10-04, 10:25 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

This KDSS & no towing perplexes me as well...i can understand if they substantially reduced the tow weight from 5k+ to 3500 or something similiar to what is done on the SRX and FX35/45 lines because their suspensions are designed around performance.

I wish Lexus would stop being so friggin conservative on all their approaches. If Lexus were to ever go high-end hp/torque and killer design then the Krauts would be in real trouble!

Anyway, anyone gonna upgrade to the VVT-i? I wonder if we can just get it bolted on instead?

Hmm..I'm still debating the LX470s....soo sweet
Old 05-11-04, 11:27 AM
Scoop
Driver School Candidate

Default Tow Hitch and KDSS

Today I spoke with my Lexus salesperson, who has been one of the nicest and most responsive people I've dealt with. He discussed the KDSS trailer hitch issue with several people at the dealership and none of them knew a definite answer. Next he called their Lexus technical support people and was told there currently is not a hitch designed for the GX with KDSS. He said its not that you can't have a hitch on the vehicle, but that Lexus hasn't designed one for it and hasn't yet identified an after market product. He acknowledged that doesn't mean there isn't a hitch out there that will work, and he is continuing to check for me.

The KDSS is great and I've read so many rave reviews about it. Once I figure out the "hitch" I'll be in good shape -- I hope.
Old 05-12-04, 09:34 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default KDSS owners

You guys that own KDSS can put a standard after market tow hitch on your trucks and it will not interfere with your suspension. I have looked under the trucks of both types those with and without and the only difference in the back is the sway bar is thicker in the KDSS system. I would not tow a boat with one ,but useing it for carrying a bike rack is not a problem. I have seen three trucks at the dealership during my free car washes and none of them had any problems. All three had the drawtite after market hitch.
Old 05-16-04, 06:01 PM
ben02
Driver School Candidate

I have just heard from someone in the know that the tow hitch issue was packaging related and a factory hitch will be available around April 04 that will fit kdss equiped vehicles. Definitely no problem towing with the kinetic system, I have talked to a friend who was present during a back to back off road test of a Kinetic equipped suv vs standard (not Lexus vehicles though) apparently the Kinetic car had to tow the standard vehicle out of the dirt after it got terminally stuck. I want one!
Old 05-17-04, 09:55 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally posted by ben02
I have just heard from someone in the know, that the tow hitch issue was packaging related and a factory hitch will be available around April 04 that will fit kdss equiped vehicles.
Ben02.....

An After Market Hitch on a KDSS equipt GX, will look sooo much better, than ones with a knotched bumper which looks like a part of a female's anatomy.

~ Cap
Old 05-21-04, 10:09 AM
Capirato
Racer

Before.....
Attached Thumbnails After market tow hitch w/KDSS-hitch1.jpg  
Old 05-21-04, 10:10 AM
Capirato
Racer

After.....