GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 05:42 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,

I would suggest checking your connections, and perhaps swapping your components left to right in order to isolate the issue.

If you are in the market for a new kit, make sure to use coupon code "CL" at checkout to save $25 on your XenonDepot H11 HID kit.

Steve
Old 12-30-14, 06:57 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi,

I would suggest checking your connections, and perhaps swapping your components left to right in order to isolate the issue.

If you are in the market for a new kit, make sure to use coupon code "CL" at checkout to save $25 on your XenonDepot H11 HID kit.

Steve
Steve- thanks and problem solved. My pass. side ballast was zip-tied to a large wiring loom. That somehow must have cause a current interference. I decided to relocate the ballast, and all is well. Bulb fires up every time now.
Old 12-31-14, 07:42 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

do you have a yellow H3 LED for the fog lights? will LEDs give me the lumens i need to cut through the fog for visibility? or is just color and looks?
Old 12-31-14, 07:46 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

NTH -- glad you've got everything resolved

kamlung - Hi, we do not carry LED bulbs in H3 at the moment. Even if we did, I would still recommend going with a 3000k H3 HID kit for maximum light output and visibility. H3 LED bulbs would be purely cosmetic (no functional benefit).

Steve
Old 12-31-14, 07:51 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

NTH -- glad you've got everything resolved

kamlung - Hi, we do not carry LED bulbs in H3 at the moment. Even if we did, I would still recommend going with a 3000k H3 HID kit for maximum light output and visibility. H3 LED bulbs would be purely cosmetic (no functional benefit).

Steve
Thanks Steve...

what about a yellow halogen? Putco or Nokya?
Old 12-31-14, 07:53 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

I'm a fan of the H3 Putco Jet Yellow for the deepest yellow output.

Steve
Old 12-31-14, 09:22 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Steve
Steve- been thinking about HID in my fogs. Will the Volt kit be ok in the fogs without using the relay harness? I'm not sure wiring will reach the battery.
Old 12-31-14, 10:01 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

You should have no problem using the Volt ballasts.

The Xtreme ballasts have a slightly lower starting draw, but both the Xtreme and Volt ballasts are safe to use without the use of a relay harness.
Steve
Old 01-02-15, 05:18 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the relay harness on driver side low beams and that side just started intermittently going on at startup with auto headlights switch in on position. Is the ballast going bad? Passenger side has no relay harness and is fine.
Old 01-02-15, 05:51 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
I have the relay harness on driver side low beams and that side just started intermittently going on at startup with auto headlights switch in on position. Is the ballast going bad? Passenger side has no relay harness and is fine.

In auto headlight position mine will also come on but it is dependent on how dark or light it is . I think its functioning normal. If the green headlight indicator is lit in my dash cluster then the lights should be on if it goes out during ride lights go off. I used relays on both pass and drivers side and ran 12 volt pos and neg wires direct to batt
Old 01-02-15, 07:15 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,
The only way the lights will turn on is if the relay gets power from the OE harness to trigger the lights on.

Steve
Old 01-02-15, 07:31 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi,
The only way the lights will turn on is if the relay gets power from the OE harness to trigger the lights on.

Steve
Steve when I hooked up my unit I think you told me that I did not need to run the pos and neg wire to the battery . I used the relays that came in the box with the units. I decided that it would not hurt if I ran those pos and neg wires direct to the battery Is this ok . My lights work fine I just see that early in the morning or late in the day the lights will trigger on or off when in auto mode and I can see that green indicator led on my dash cluster. Some mornings if its bright the lights do not trigger on and some days they do. This is normal ?
Old 01-02-15, 07:41 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,

Yes - you do not have to use the relay harness supplied with the kit as it's perfectly safe to power the ballasts directly from the OEM headlight wiring. Either way, your stock headlight harness controls when the lights get powered on as they either trigger the relay in our harness (if you ARE using a relay harness), or power the ballasts (if you ARE NOT using a relay harness).

Steve
Old 01-05-15, 05:48 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Yes - you do not have to use the relay harness supplied with the kit as it's perfectly safe to power the ballasts directly from the OEM headlight wiring. Either way, your stock headlight harness controls when the lights get powered on as they either trigger the relay in our harness (if you ARE using a relay harness), or power the ballasts (if you ARE NOT using a relay harness).

Steve
So Steve, we are supposed to have a relay harness on both sides? I was given only one.
Old 01-05-15, 08:40 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

weird - are you certain??? Can you please email a pic of what you received to info@xenondepot.com?

Steve

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide