GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 04:57 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
As I stated I did my install and was very happy with results. I have one question perhaps some one has the answer. On a 2004 gx470 does anyone know if there are dust covers over the back of the headlight
bulbs. When I removed the plastic shrouds to gain access to the bulbs there was no dust cover present
all I did was twist out the old bulbs and twist in the new hid. I never got to use the grommet since there
was no where for it to go.

Same here,no dust covers were on.
Old 10-15-14, 05:01 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

The wires to power the HID's are connected to the posative battery terminal. I want to change that and connect them to the under hood fuse box for power. Can someone tell me or show a pic of where I would connect the wires?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-15-14, 05:28 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
The wires to power the HID's are connected to the posative battery terminal. I want to change that and connect them to the under hood fuse box for power. Can someone tell me or show a pic of where I would connect the wires?

Thanks in advance!
I dont have an answer for your question, But I have a question for you. Why do you not want to connect
the positive wires to a fuse box. It really was intended to go direct to the battery ? Curious for your reasoning. There is a in line fuse already on each positive wire and you get direct 12 volt + power no loss of voltage going direct to batt. Going to a fuse box could overload the circuit you decide to tap into.
Old 10-15-14, 06:06 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

I dont have an answer for your question, But I have a question for you. Why do you not want to connect
the positive wires to a fuse box. It really was intended to go direct to the battery ? Curious for your reasoning. There is a in line fuse already on each positive wire and you get direct 12 volt + power no loss of voltage going direct to batt.
Going to a fuse box could overload the circuit you decide to tap into.
It goes to the battery because its simple,however,it is not professional IMO. Going to the fuse box will not change anything on how the system works,it makes for a nice clean install.

I have not even looked under the hood yet to see what the fuse box looks like.I just figured some of the guys here who know the electronics much better than myself(and have wired something to the fuse box) could point it out with possibly a pic.
Old 10-15-14, 06:19 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

I forgot to post this pic in last message. This is a pic of the underhood fuse box in a Sonata where a complet fog light kit was installed.The harness instructions call for it to be connected at the battery,but,at the fuse box is a better spot for reasons mentioned in last post.This is what I want to do.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-sonata-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 11-03-14, 11:50 AM
Creetopher
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the Phillips xtreme LED kits used for fog lights? Are they any good for low beam in comparison to the Xtreme HID kit?
Old 11-04-14, 08:43 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Creetopher
Are the Phillips xtreme LED kits used for fog lights? Are they any good for low beam in comparison to the Xtreme HID kit?
They are a great upgrade for fog lights as that is how Philips designed and tested them for. It replicates the beam pattern of an OEM halogen bulb (the only LED bulb that has been properly tested) - but I don't think it's bright enough for the headlights.

Danny
Old 11-04-14, 05:25 PM
Creetopher
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
They are a great upgrade for fog lights as that is how Philips designed and tested them for. It replicates the beam pattern of an OEM halogen bulb (the only LED bulb that has been properly tested) - but I don't think it's bright enough for the headlights.

Danny
Danny,

Thanks for the info. I ended up purchasing the xtreme hid kit 6500k. I can hardly wait to install it.
Old 11-05-14, 08:24 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Creetopher
Danny,

Thanks for the info. I ended up purchasing the xtreme hid kit 6500k. I can hardly wait to install it.
Great choice! Let me know if you have any further questions

Danny
Old 11-15-14, 12:03 PM
Joebootx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These kits look and sound nice. With a 2006gx470 how would one know what light setting/color to get in order to look factory (5000k, 6500k, 8000k)? Is the 8000 just too crazy bright?
Thank you.
Old 11-15-14, 01:09 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joebootx
These kits look and sound nice. With a 2006gx470 how would one know what light setting/color to get in order to look factory (5000k, 6500k, 8000k)? Is the 8000 just too crazy bright?
Thank you.
I did not want to go overboard so I went with 4300 and upgraded to phillips bulbs. I was told that actually the 4300 is more light then the higher k bulbs. Its the color that the higher bulbs put out. Steve told me that 4300 is brighter and I took his advice. Read through this thread and you will see there are many explanations here

Last edited by mrblister; 11-15-14 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 04:45 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I did not want to go overboard so I went with 4300 and upgraded to phillips bulbs. I was told the actuall the 4300 is more light then the higher k bulbs. Its the color that the higher bulbs put out. Steve told me that 4300 is brighter and I took his advice. Read through this thread and you will see there are many explanations here
X2, the XXXXK number is the light's color in Kelvin, not directly related to lumen output. If you're looking at usable light output, the higher K bulbs actually put out LESS light. 4300K is closest to natural light, and puts out the most usable light that your eyes can see, it's also the closest to yellow compared to the blues and purples of the higher K options.

I went with 4300K bulbs as I wanted max light output, the result is a bright white with just a hint of "HID" blue, and they are great!
Old 11-17-14, 09:00 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

4300k is definitely the way to go for the brightest, and most OEM functionality.

Steve

PS thanks for responding guys!
Old 12-24-14, 03:05 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you sell just the bulbs? Just installed my 4300k kit, and was thinking to have back up bulbs just in case one blows. They are about 4 years old.
Old 12-24-14, 09:18 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

XenonDepot- I need your help. I just installed my 4 year old Morimoto kit yesterday. Drove the GX a few times today and noticed that the passenger side lamp intermittently won't turn on. They worked perfectly when I removed them from my previous Toyota 2 years ago. Is it a grounding issue or my passenger side ballast failing? I may be shopping for a XD kit sooner than I thought.

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide