GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Old 11-04-13, 08:59 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinwash
sorry, but now I am somewhat confused...

The Volt system seems fine for my fog light application and has smaller ballasts to hide (and it sounds like I can wire to my fog switch on the column).

The Xtreme seems like it is the best you can get, but pricier of course (and more wiring/ballasts to hide). But the description makes it sound like the other Volt system is a less than desirable choice with flickering and a non-constant 12v power through the relay harness. Not sure if the fogs would benefit from this upgrade or not

Am I inviting problems if I purchase the volt system? even though the fogs are not used 100% of the time. Or would the Volt system be just fine in the fog light application?
Either kit will work and with either kit use a harness. They said it below...it's optional yet not using one could cause the bulbs to flicker which it turn could cause bulb failure. A harness is cheap insurance for your HID kit but more importantly your GX!! Anytime you upgrade your lights you should always use a relay harness.

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Honestly a relay harness is optional but when you do install one it does help to ensure you get 12 consistent volts at all times so there is no drop in power otherwise it can cause them to flicker which can cause the HID bulbs to burn out.
Old 11-05-13, 09:07 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinwash
sorry, but now I am somewhat confused...

The Volt system seems fine for my fog light application and has smaller ballasts to hide (and it sounds like I can wire to my fog switch on the column).

The Xtreme seems like it is the best you can get, but pricier of course (and more wiring/ballasts to hide). But the description makes it sound like the other Volt system is a less than desirable choice with flickering and a non-constant 12v power through the relay harness. Not sure if the fogs would benefit from this upgrade or not

Am I inviting problems if I purchase the volt system? even though the fogs are not used 100% of the time. Or would the Volt system be just fine in the fog light application?
The Xtreme ballast and the Volt ballast are just about the same size as they are both digital slim ballasts.

You don't need to install the relay harness with either HID kit, they will both work perfectly fine in your fog lights or headlights without a relay harness.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either HID kit, we've had customers install both HID kits in their vehicle with and without the relay harness without any issues.

Hope that clears some of the confusion.

Danny
Old 11-07-13, 09:36 AM
amccaulx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried modifying/covering up the "squirrel finder" in the stock halogen projectors? Apparently, you can get rid of the glare caused by putting HIDs in Halogen Projectors by doing this, and get close to HID Projector Quality Output without having to do a retrofit.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...tail-pics.html

Above is a good writeup on that. I wounder how the GX H11 projectors differ from the 4th gen 4runners.
Old 11-07-13, 10:49 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amccaulx
Has anyone tried modifying/covering up the "squirrel finder" in the stock halogen projectors? Apparently, you can get rid of the glare caused by putting HIDs in Halogen Projectors by doing this, and get close to HID Projector Quality Output without having to do a retrofit.
I tried doing that years ago on my MDX H11 halogen projector before doing a HID retro. You can't gain width and get an even light distribution by doing that. With halogen projectors you'll always have a narrow field of vision and hot spots compared to HID projectors because they were designed for H11 filament bulbs not D2S bulbs.
Old 12-09-13, 05:47 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just ordered a set of the Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits (H11) myself from KBcarstuff in light of the wonderful customer service I see in this forum. I hope to re-take the installation pictures showing how the new kit works (this thread is extremely old!)

However I have to say, so far they indicated the item *might* be back ordered (Harness due to changes), and would ship on Friday 12/6 which it apparently didn't (unless they don't notify you of tracking numbers?). Perhaps ordering near Christmas time is not ideal for good service and experience, but it will surely show me how they perform under pressure! My fear is I will have to cancel the order in a few days due to travel if they haven't shipped. Granted from reading this thread I perhaps should have gone with a retrofit in the first place. I only discovered that route after already heading down this path.

Just wanted to revive this thread again...
Old 12-09-13, 07:10 PM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shadowmite
I just ordered a set of the Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits (H11) myself from KBcarstuff in light of the wonderful customer service I see in this forum. I hope to re-take the installation pictures showing how the new kit works (this thread is extremely old!)

However I have to say, so far they indicated the item *might* be back ordered (Harness due to changes), and would ship on Friday 12/6 which it apparently didn't (unless they don't notify you of tracking numbers?). Perhaps ordering near Christmas time is not ideal for good service and experience, but it will surely show me how they perform under pressure! My fear is I will have to cancel the order in a few days due to travel if they haven't shipped. Granted from reading this thread I perhaps should have gone with a retrofit in the first place. I only discovered that route after already heading down this path.

If you end up cancelling your order try TRS. You can get a H11 kit below and they usually ship the same day USPS Priority mail, so you'll usually have it in 2-3 days.
Old 12-12-13, 01:22 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shadowmite

shadowmite can you PM me with your order number? Sorry about the delay in shipping your HID kit. We had a delay on our end as well getting all of our new relay harness but we expect all backorder Xtreme HID kits to be shipped by this Friday.

Danny
Old 04-28-14, 11:06 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Extreme HID kit w/ Phillips 4300k bulbs, can't wait to see how they look on the highway at night!
Old 04-28-14, 11:18 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

IanB2: Fantastic! Please post sup some feedback once you get your XenonDepot H11 HID kit installed.

Steve
Old 04-28-14, 08:12 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Extreme HID kit w/ Phillips 4300k bulbs, can't wait to see how they look on the highway at night!
Trust me you be kicking yourself waiting so long to do it lol. Next is the foglights, double your viewing pleasure
Old 04-29-14, 07:53 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Booyah
Trust me you be kicking yourself waiting so long to do it lol. Next is the foglights, double your viewing pleasure
It's something I've wanted to do since we picked it up, but it's been a pretty chaotic year for us. Now that I have the garage back and semi-organized, it's time to get some stuff done, and this was top of the list.

Come fall, I'll take delivery of my '93 HDJ81 Land Cruiser, and the GX will get shuffled over to the wife, and I wanted her to have excellent headlights, but I'll enjoy them in the meantime!
Old 05-01-14, 10:27 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Package showed up today (that was quick!), install tonight!
Old 05-01-14, 10:44 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good deal! You will see its so simple to install! Hardest part is tucking away the wires lol
Old 05-01-14, 10:56 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Post some pictures if you get the chance!

Danny
Old 05-02-14, 07:07 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Got it installed last night, should have read the instructions that ship with the kit before I got started, took me a while to figure out the spacer had to be removed and the gasket set into the groove where it was before the bulbs will fit into the headlight, lol. That was literally the only info I was missing from the instructions in this thread, oh well.

The harnesses have obviously changed since these instructions were put together, as they were identical in length, and you plug into the factory harness on both sides now rather than a single input and tape up the other plug, each HID is essentially it's own circuit and the only common point is the + wire connection to the battery. Took about an hour, looks great, very happy with the results.

I took some before shots the other night, I'll try and get some afters in the same location for comparison and post them up. Now I need some yellow fog light bulbs, any suggestions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide