GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 07:02 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I got the 9005

While I'm waiting my H11 from Xenondepot, I got the 9005 first.

It's a 4350k white light bulb. It cost me 80 bucks. I think it looks good.

Check this out.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-post-2.jpg  
Old 03-19-04, 09:40 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dave

Dave

Where did you buy the 9005 white bulb? It does look good.
Old 03-19-04, 10:17 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default Re: I got the 9005

Originally posted by DavidsGX
While I'm waiting my H11 from Xenondepot, I got the 9005 first.

It's a 4350k white light bulb. It cost me 80 bucks. I think it looks good.

Check this out.
Hey David

WHere did you buy this 9005 bulb from? does it have a balllast as well.

Thanks
Old 03-19-04, 10:19 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default Re: I think the high beams are 9005

Originally posted by Tony
I think the high beams are 9005 bulbs but Im not sure. I forgot to look last night when I was installing them. If they are Xenondepot has the same phillips kit for that also.

I tend to stick with Phillips brand because they are usally the OEM suppliers to all HID lights in luxury cars including Lexus.
Hey Tony

I don't know but for some reason the lights on my 04' GX doesn't look halogens to me... it looks more like a HID. they are pretty bright white with no yellowness. more like the bulb posted by David.
Is it possible that the new ones come with HID's not hallogens.
Pls advice. thanks

Adil
Old 03-19-04, 11:18 PM
Fusion400
Driver

Adil,

I am sure your GX470 does not come with HIDs like most of use in here, since DOT set up the rules. Anyone care to explain why Adil OEM halogen bulbs are white similar to David high beam output color?

My high beam 9005 is yellow like most car, so what I did is replace the high beam oem bulbs with the SilverStar bulbs.

Last edited by Fusion400; 03-19-04 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-20-04, 05:24 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Originally posted by Fusion400
Adil,

I am sure your GX470 does not come with HIDs like most of use in here, since DOT set up the rules. Anyone care to explain why Adil OEM halogen bulbs are white similar to David high beam output color?

My high beam 9005 is yellow like most car, so what I did is replace the high beam oem bulbs with the SilverStar bulbs.
Hey
Thanx for the reply. As i mentioned before i don't know if mine comes with a HID or not? but one thing i'm certain of is that my light doesn't look yellow at all, its more white in colour ....
i will take pics today and post them here ASAP.
Another question was that can by just changing the bulb give us desiable colour and range.... then howcome some people are putting all these ballasts n stuff... whats the difference if you can just change the bulb instead.

adil
Old 03-20-04, 07:04 AM
D4SSWME
Driver

Default HIDs dom't come in the GX-470

Hi, Adil

HIS lamps do not come with the GX-470.

You can get them though in some aftermarket stores.

There is a big difference from just changing the bulbs to get the color effect.

The HIDs (bulb, ballast, etc) are extremely brighter and have a stronger output as far as range is concern.

Some of the aftermarket bulbs that you can buy just for the color effect actually decreaes the light output and thus becomes a safety concern.

Do a search on this forumboard and you will find lots of interesting messges on this topic.
Old 03-20-04, 07:21 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default Re: HIDs dom't come in the GX-470

Originally posted by D4SSWME
Hi, Adil

HIS lamps do not come with the GX-470.

You can get them though in some aftermarket stores.

There is a big difference from just changing the bulbs to get the color effect.

The HIDs (bulb, ballast, etc) are extremely brighter and have a stronger output as far as range is concern.

Some of the aftermarket bulbs that you can buy just for the color effect actually decreaes the light output and thus becomes a safety concern.

Do a search on this forumboard and you will find lots of interesting messges on this topic.
I just have one question.... when u put an HID system in your car... does the auto function of the headlamps still work. I hope you know what i'm talking about?
Thanx
Adil
Old 03-20-04, 09:14 AM
Fusion400
Driver

Adil,

Yes your auto headlamps should be auto if your lever is set. The auto headlamps should work since the HID kits are plug-play, there is nothing do to or modifiy the electrical lexus system.
Old 03-20-04, 12:21 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

This is pic of the jeep with lights on.... the lamps look white to me. pls give input.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-lexus-lights-on.jpg  
Old 03-20-04, 12:28 PM
Fusion400
Driver

Adil,

Can you turn the high beam off and take a picture again only this time at night? So we can compare the color output on your OEM halogen headlight?
Old 03-20-04, 01:39 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Sayadil

Sayadil

I just got my 04 GX on 4/1/04 with a build number of 9700E and even though the headlights look better than most as far as halogens go they were definitely not HIDS. NO GX comes with HIDS because they did not put a auto leveling system in our lighting system so our trucks did not get the HIDS installed at the factory. Your pic looks good but I can tell they are not HIDS. The projector lenses focuses the light so even though the halogens look whiter than most halogens they are still halogens. Your picture is exactly what 4300k HID lights look after warming up that is why I bought the 6000k kit. The 6000k kit keeps the white and blue colors even after warming up.

Trust us no GX is slated for factory HIDS and if they were the invoice sheet on your truck would show it as being a Xenon headlight charge of at least 1200 dollars additional on top of your other options.

By the way installing the HID lighting system does not interfere with any normal functions of the car headlights.

Last edited by Tony; 03-20-04 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-20-04, 01:45 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Calibrating your windows after battery connection

I forgot to tell you guys that after you reconnect your battery the windows need to be calibrated. The way you do this is watch for a blinking window button on each door. You have to do the exact sequence of each door as it blinks or you cannot use your windows. Here are the steps.

first the driver window button will blink. lower the window half way down then raise the window up to max and hold the button for 5 seconds. Then the front passenger window button will light up and you do the same thing for each door as it lights up. It goes driver, front passenger, rear passenger side then rear driver side then do your sunroof by hitting the tilt button hold for 5 seconds and that calibrates all the windows. Took me 20 minutes to figure this out because the instructions are vague in the owners manual.

Last edited by Tony; 03-20-04 at 01:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony:
kphagen (10-30-19), Rafadog (02-14-19)
Old 03-20-04, 01:55 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: Sayadil

Originally posted by Tony
Your pic looks good but I can tell they are not HIDS. The projector lenses focuses the light so even though the halogens look whiter than most halogens they are still halogens.
Tony makes a good point and I think hit the nail on the head. I was about to post the same suggestion. You'll notice that some projector headlights are designed to refract the light going through it so that you see different colors depending on the angle. It can make halogens look like HID's at a certain angle. There is a Saturn vehicle that has halogens behind a projector and produces the same effect.

At the same time HID's are use this same principle. I mainly see them with BMW projector HID's which gives them a deep blue hue at certain angles when it is in fact not projecting this deep blue color.

sayadil, maybe you can take a top angle picture of your headlight from very close - almost touching the headlight housing. It's not HID, just the refracting light passing throught the projector lens.
Old 03-20-04, 02:04 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Lightbulb Oh! Actually 4550K and 55W only!

Yeah! I checked, it's 4550K and 55W only!

This stuff is really good! 100% made in Japan!
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-front.jpg  

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide