GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-04, 09:14 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default AFter hid install

Check this out.
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-afterhid.jpg  
Old 03-18-04, 09:15 PM
Fusion400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

oooooooooooooooooooo. very nice indeed!
Old 03-18-04, 09:20 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default 6000k

With our projector lenses we have the same cool effect as the BMWs, Audis, etc. In fact my wife asked me why it was white then purple then blue as I was coming up the street and I knew right away I got the effect I
wanted. The projector lenses refract the white blue beam from the 6000k bulbs changing colors around the edge of the projector lenses which is awesome. Light out put is phenomenal. I am very happy with this upgrade and dam pissed that we did not get it from Lexus from the begining. I now feel my GX is a true luxury car with these lights on them.
Old 03-18-04, 11:36 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Cap different ways but same results

I guess both companies have different ways with the same results. Either way we all win because we get to use our HIDS. Cap I did mention the kit was plug and play several times in my instructions, unless you are just being funny.
Old 03-19-04, 12:28 AM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

Just had them installed in my Black 2004 GX470 as well. I love it!

EP
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-dsc06494.jpg  
Old 03-19-04, 12:36 AM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

My kit came from Xenon Depot. The people there were very friendly and helpful. The install was plug and play; just had to strap the wires neatly and hide them away from sight. The total time to install was about an hour. I suggust using velcro stickers to attach the ballasts to the car. The bulbs also fit perfectly into the headlamp assembly. Attached is a pic of the HID low beam with the Hi-beams on at the same time. I had my mechanic install them. Hit me up if you live in Southern Californa, he can install them very cleanly.

EP
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-dsc06483.jpg  
Old 03-19-04, 07:40 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Nice pics Tony and Cyberflip.

Cyberflip, is your kit a a 6,000K kit? I know Tony's is. I'm debating between 4,100K and 6,000K. I like the factory 4,100K on my '02 RX300.

How's the glare/cutoff as compared to the halogens? I would imagine that the projector lenses do a much better job than reflectors, as long as the HID bulb lenth from the base is the same as the halogen filament is from the base.

I think I'll be ordering mine this weekend. Hmmm.....4,100K or 6,000K??
Old 03-19-04, 08:31 AM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Post Great!

The HIDs are so cool! I love it!

What can you say? Xenondepot does it all!

Go here to check the product and get discount!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=113918

DavidsGX
--------------
04' GX470
Old 03-19-04, 08:55 AM
cyberflip9
Driver School Candidate

6000K all the Way! Get the 6000K kit, u'll thank me. As for the beam cut-off, it's perfect! The light is very bright and the beam just cuts-off at the right level: right below trunk level of the car in front of you. You'll be amazed at how objects at night are more vivid and clear. I even leave my headlights on during the day time! On a busy freeway I feel like Moses parting the Red Sea because everyone in front of me sees this big black SUV with bright xenons! If you want a head turning addition to your car, this is it. If you live in Southern California, hit me up with a pvt message so I can give you the number to my mechanic who installed this kit very cleanly.

Cheers,

E
Attached Thumbnails GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide-dsc06497.jpg  
Old 03-19-04, 10:16 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Steevr

Steevr

Steevr the 4300k kit is the same color as the sun as far as color temperature, that color produces the most light output or lumens of all HID bulbs. That is why most OEM HID systems use that bulb. The only issue I had with that color temperature is that it tends to turn yellow when it warms up. The 6000k bulbs puts out 20 percent less lumens but has a nice blue white glow when it warms up, giving a better HID look that alot of people want. Any HID system is better than the OEM halogens as far as lumen output is concerned so you are a winner with either color. I know when I had my BMW alot of the guys over at E46fanatics.com were switching out their 4300k bulbs for the 6000k bulbs because they looked to yellow white after warming up, after a while they tend to look almost halogen yellow.

I honestly had 4300k, 5000k, and 6000k before and I like this one the best due to the fact that we have projector lenses in our trucks, so any lumens lost from color is minimal because the beam is more focused than on a reflector pattern. Cut off is perfect around the edges, very sharp.

By the way the new Hid bulbs are longer from the base of the reflector than the factory bulbs so that is why you see more road illumination on the ground than on the factory picture, which is really good. There was always a dead black space between the bumper and where the factory beam picked up, now the HIDS reveal that spot without using the fog lights to light it up. My beam cuts off right at the trunk line of most sedans.

Last edited by Tony; 03-19-04 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-19-04, 03:51 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default I forgot to tell you guys

After hooking up your battery you have to "normalize your sunroof and windows" as quoted in the Lexus owners manual pages 42 and 103 or else your windows and sunroof won't work. I almost freaked out when I could not roll down my windows today and was going to take it to the dealership when I looked through the owners manual and it said that it was normal to loose windows and sunroof control after the battery was disconnected. Man I thought I screwed up or something.
Old 03-19-04, 04:27 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Vet nice, those before and after pics look like you put new batteries in a flashlight, sweet.

So the regular driving lights or the low beams are HID but what about the high beams, is it a 2 in 1 bulb cause I thought I read someone saying they where gonna go get new high beam bulbs also.

How long do the bulbs last and what do replacement bulbs cost
Old 03-19-04, 04:34 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Edge2

Edge good quality bulbs like the ones from phillips will out last the life of your car. The high beams are seperate you have to buy another HID kit to convert those. I don't use my high beams that often and when I do they seem bright enough to justify not buying another kit to replace them. The process of installation is the same as for the low beams. I might buy some white halogens to match the low beam HIDS.

New bulbs are usually 150 to 200 bucks a set.

Last edited by Tony; 03-19-04 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 04:54 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Default What High Beam Bulb is good?

Tony, what high beam bulb do you recommand?

Do you have some brand names in your mind?

By the way, your pictures are impressive!!

David
-------------
04' GX470
Old 03-19-04, 05:08 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default I think the high beams are 9005

I think the high beams are 9005 bulbs but Im not sure. I forgot to look last night when I was installing them. If they are Xenondepot has the same phillips kit for that also.

I tend to stick with Phillips brand because they are usally the OEM suppliers to all HID lights in luxury cars including Lexus.

Last edited by Tony; 03-19-04 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide