GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

"Clunking" issue fixed by the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-03, 03:41 AM
bear1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Clunking" issue

Yesterday, while I was at the dealership getting an oil change on my GX, I asked the service manager if Lexus had a fix for the "clunking" noise and sensation a lot of us have experienced after we have stopped the car. While the service advisor did not have an immediate answer, he did come back in a few minutes to tell me they had ordered me a new drive shaft to address the issue. I don't know if anyone has had this problem addressed by the installation of a new drive shaft or whether it was sucessful in correcting the problem. After I get the new drive shaft installed and a few miles under my belt with it, I'll post something to let you know if the problem was corrected.
Old 11-24-03, 07:12 AM
177mph
Pole Position

This is great. Please report back with any future updates! We all want to find the answer to this. Thanks!
Old 11-24-03, 06:42 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

I also had a drive shaft replacement to correct this issue. While I do occasionally feel a very slight clunk, it is NOTICEABLY less than it was before and it doesn't happen as frequently.
Old 11-26-03, 05:35 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Default Darn!

Well, I just got my 9700B build GX and was hoping we were clunk free, but my wife called last night and described it perfectly. I hadn't told her about it because I was hoping it wouldn't materialize, but she described it exactly as everyone here has, word for word, and she knew nothing about it. She said she felt 2 bumps and her heart started racing because she was sure someone had just hit her new truck from behind.

I guess I'll email my service manager and see if they could fix it when we go in for the 1,000 mile check up.

Any more info on how you guys are doing after the new drive shaft would be helpful.
Old 11-29-03, 06:43 AM
LexFather

How about putting "issue fixed" in the thread so people can see how they can get helped.

Old 12-03-03, 11:22 PM
MJMeucci
Driver

We had our driveshaft replaced as well however it was not for te rear clunk, and it did not fix the clunk either. Our driveshaft was replaced becasue of the vibration. Our clunk is still going strong.
Old 12-04-03, 07:45 AM
Cessna172
Driver

My clunk is going strong too.

This after two trips and two repair attempts by two different dealers, with two different solutions. And actually it is worse now than before the second repair attempt.

At first it would only clunk after stopped and releasing brake. Now it clunks once while stopping and once after brakes are released to go again.
Old 12-04-03, 07:05 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

so this clunk is when u feel like u got rear ended at the back at a stop light? if this is it, i need my lexus dealer to get a new drive shaft.. How long does it take for them to order and get it in and also installation time? i knew it was something around the drive shaft area. i didn't bring my gx to the dealer yet because they usually can't fix any warranty problems.
Old 12-04-03, 08:36 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Hey guys...

Do you mind stating if you got the new spline design of the old one. The reports I've been reading state that the newly designed splined drive shaft is to help minimize the axle windup that you guys are experiencing.

This "windup" is common on solid axle rearwheel drive vehicles.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...dQH.6@.eeca1cf!make=Toyota&model=4Runner&ed_makeindex=.eeca1cf

Thanks..
Old 12-05-03, 02:40 AM
bear1
Driver School Candidate

I go in this morning to attempt to fix the problem on my GX. I just found they will be replacing the propeller shaft. We'll see if it corrects the problem.
Old 12-05-03, 12:11 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by tetra7
Hey guys...

Do you mind stating if you got the new spline design of the old one. The reports I've been reading state that the newly designed splined drive shaft is to help minimize the axle windup that you guys are experiencing.

This "windup" is common on solid axle rearwheel drive vehicles.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...dQH.6@.eeca1cf!make=Toyota&model=4Runner&ed_makeindex=.eeca1cf

Thanks..
Funny, that is exactly how the service manager described my new driveshaft replacement. He said they replaced it with a new one and he stated the splines have been designed to not hang up like before.

I have now driven the vehicle about 10 miles and everything is seems to be OK. Going out on a trip this weekend so I should have another 600 miles of testing in.
Old 12-05-03, 12:40 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by looknow12
Funny, that is exactly how the service manager described my new driveshaft replacement. He said they replaced it with a new one and he stated the splines have been designed to not hang up like before.

I have now driven the vehicle about 10 miles and everything is seems to be OK. Going out on a trip this weekend so I should have another 600 miles of testing in.
That's interesting, because my dealership is in the process of ordering me new front & rear drive shafts and I asked him about it and he knows nothing about a new design. He said the part# is the same and his District Mgr. has said nothing about there being a new design. He also said that usually if there is a redesign of a part Lexus will issue a TSB and he said none exist as of right now.

If there actually IS a new re-designed part it would be very helpful if you could get a part#

Or maybe give me the number of your service manager so I can find out there is a new re-designed part available.
Old 12-08-03, 07:54 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the way I understood it from the service manager. In fact I specifically asked several times. Just the same though, I am asking the service writer to check into it. I'll get back to you with the part number and TSB (hopefully if applicable)
Old 12-09-03, 07:12 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks looknow12 & cessna172

Looknow12
Kindly post your observation of the new drive shaft after your 600 mile trip. Hope this solves the problem so I can go ahead and have mine fixed too.
Old 12-10-03, 09:14 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Well I just got off the phone with my service advisor. He says that there is NO new part # that has been released from Lexus. On top of that Lexus refused my request for a new drive shaft. They told my advisor to try to re-work the shafts again. They also told him the reason that they refused the new shafts is because they say all the GX's have this problem and there is nothing to do about it.

I am SO *****ING PISSED at Lexus right now. I will NEVER buy anything from them again. I am also going to write to the corporate headquarters and contact a lemon law attorney.

*****in piece of ***** Lexus.

Quick Reply: "Clunking" issue fixed by the dealer