GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Proxenon Releases HID Lights for the GX, well almost

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-03, 12:47 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question question

I got a silly question. Actually, it’s the question from my wife when she saw me looking for HID products for the GX.

If someone installed HID had an accident and the other party complained that the aftermarket HID blinded him. What would you do?
Old 12-15-03, 01:06 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Re: question

Originally posted by super_cjc
I got a silly question. Actually, it’s the question from my wife when she saw me looking for HID products for the GX.

If someone installed HID had an accident and the other party complained that the aftermarket HID blinded him. What would you do?
You are assuming they would a) know that the vehicle had HID's, and b) that they would know that they were aftermarket. Nowadays they are so prevalent on all different models unless you belong to one of these boards or are zealots like us you wouldn't know.
Old 12-15-03, 04:52 PM
lexusnc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that it would be hard to tell that the GX had after market HID's. If you were driving a Yugo and someone identified that you had HID's maybe you would have a problem. From a legal point of view, could someone sue you for supposedly causing an accident with your HID's, sure but you can be sued for anything, anytime. Now if you were sued they would have to prove, to a preponderance of the evidence (this depends on your state) that the HID's caused the accident and that you knew or should have know that the HID's would cause an accident. Even if you admitted to having aftermarket, non DOT approved HID's in you car, it would have to be proved that they CAUSED to accident. Now I am familiar with civil litigation, though by no means am I a lawyer, and I know I am simplifying the matter, but I would much rather take my chances in the highly unlikely event mentioned above, and have the benefits of enhanced night driving safety with the HID's. There is simply no comparison to regular incandescent bulbs, HID's make driving at night safer, period. By the way, the same controversy surrounding HID's today surrounded sealed beam headlamps when they first came out, people said they were too bright and blinded on coming traffic....go figure.
Old 12-16-03, 10:49 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

I will buy her a nice Christmas gift and when the time is right I will let her know your inputs.

The only problem is the gift probably will cost more than the HID kit to get her says yes.

Why doesn't Lexus put HID in the GX?

Last edited by super_cjc; 12-16-03 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-23-03, 07:51 AM
D4SSWME
Driver

Default hid install?

Originally posted by lexusnc
I just got the shipping confirmation and tracking number from proxenon. I should have the HID's by middle of next week and I should have them installed within 2 hours of receipt. I'll post a follow-up then, hopefully with pics of the install and a before and after of the head lamps.
Hi,

any upates on the install?

funny thing is that i am also waiting on a hid kit from ProXenon as they have had my money since last year due to a return of a 9005 kit. I asked them to just use it for the upcoming H11.

H11s did arrive although I am still waiting to receive my kit.

argh! you would think that they would prioritize my order since I've been waiting for practically a year now.

please post pictures of your install as I'd like to compare it with the ones I have from another vendor.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-03, 12:41 PM
lexusnc
Driver

I got the kit in and installing it now....will let you know.

Last edited by lexusnc; 12-24-03 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-24-03, 04:14 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Default problem?

accoding to ProXenon, they had a problem with their H11s having the wrong bulb type socket.

let me know if your kit has this issue as I am still waiting on my order
Old 12-29-03, 11:04 AM
lexusnc
Driver

Here is the deal on the Proxenon H11 Bulbs I received. The base is slightly off, the lights do not twist and lock in place when inserted into the H11 socket, because the small nipple on the side of the bulb base which is designed to engage the locking notch on the socket is too large and does not allow the bulb to turn and lock in place. I was able to, using plyers, push down the nipple and get the lights to work, but this is not a good permanent solution. I have sent an email to proxenon detailing the problem and asking them to exchange the bulbs for ones with the correct base. I will let you know what happons, but I would not buy these yet until they fix this problem.
Old 12-29-03, 12:25 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Default Argh!

got the same response from ProXenon

just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting a different reply than you

in fact, I already have a hid kit running well in my GX, had an exchange with ProXenon and therefore had a credit which I was going to use for another GX hid kit but due to this issue with the base, I will just have them provide me a Hid Kit for the fogs instead.
Old 12-29-03, 01:02 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Thumbs up

D4SSWME,

Share some pictures, Please!!!

I am sure that many members would like to see how awesome your GX looks with HID.
Old 12-29-03, 01:54 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Default picture too big to attach

let me know if you want pictures sent to your email addresses as I can't attach the picture as I am getting a too larger file error
Old 12-29-03, 02:00 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Originally posted by lexusnc
I got the kit in and installing it now....will let you know.
Attached Thumbnails Proxenon Releases HID Lights for the GX, well almost-h11-hid-2.jpg  
Old 12-29-03, 02:17 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

another picture
Attached Thumbnails Proxenon Releases HID Lights for the GX, well almost-h11-hid-5.jpg  
Old 12-29-03, 02:46 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Sweet! I want one. I hope the folks @ ProXenon will fix their fiting problem soon.
Old 12-29-03, 03:15 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Yup!

I was very surprised to see that they were not the first one to have it though.

btw, what do you think of their service so far.

I am pretty disappointed so far with no return calls and reply back to emails and that is already after purchasing a number of units from them.

Argh!

Let's hope their busy working on the H11 base issue.

Quick Reply: Proxenon Releases HID Lights for the GX, well almost