GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 03:49 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

The Polaroid Cube WiFi doesn't seem practical for a dash cam application. I would suggest mounting the small camera on the back of the rear view mirror, but the power supply for the camera is on the back so that won't work. It has a magnet on the bottom so you could put a piece of metal on top of the mirror, but again that won't work.

You could add metal to the bottom of the mirror and put a magnet on top of the camera to mount it under the mirror.

I read some reviews on this camera and the picture quality doesn't sound impressive. Several comments like "cute" and "adorable" were mentioned along with it is marketed towards kids.

11GX460, if you are looking for an impractical cute and adorable kiddy camera for your GX, I say go for it.
Old 09-06-15, 07:15 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I still have not seen a practicall good way to hardwire these devices into the gx due to complexity of electronics. I have the driver support package, so it gets more complicated.
Old 09-07-15, 03:01 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T4Fun
I still have not seen a practicall good way to hardwire these devices into the gx due to complexity of electronics. I have the driver support package, so it gets more complicated.
Wiring to one of the two fuse boxes eliminates the concern of the complex system. You have the two options posted on this forum. What is the problem

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ox-wiring.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html
Old 09-08-15, 08:56 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
My V1 and Blackvue 2 channel cameras work fine with the driver support packages.
Old 10-30-15, 04:16 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I ordered this, I will run both cameras for comparison. I really want a wifi camera for the convenience (GPS is a plus).
Lane departure and forward collision option maybe a nuisance that I will turn off.

http://us.transcend-info.com/product...t_DP220_EN.pdf
Old 05-17-16, 11:43 AM
KC0217
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackvue DR650GW-2CH or 1CH on 2015 model

Has anyone use it and how to install them to hide all the wiring?

Thanks
Old 05-18-16, 05:57 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Old 03-25-17, 07:33 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Where to mount dashcam?

Where is everyone mounting their dashcam? I've been playing around with the idea of putting it behind the left of the mirror, but the auto dimming square is there. I feel putting it on the right is too far to access or to check on while in the driver seat. Front windshield has film on it, so I don't want to attach the mount to test all the areas due to the possibility of ruining the tint.

Dashcam is a Viofo A119s (wedge shaped camera similar to the StreetGuardian)
Old 03-25-17, 07:43 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I have mine behind the mirror on the right side. I put it there because it doesn't block my view when driving. As for accessing the camera, I can still do it from the drivers seat. I am not going to sit there and review a days worth of video but if I needed to swap out a memory card or something, I can still do it.
Old 03-25-17, 10:04 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Where is everyone mounting their dashcam? I've been playing around with the idea of putting it behind the left of the mirror, but the auto dimming square is there. I feel putting it on the right is too far to access or to check on while in the driver seat. Front windshield has film on it, so I don't want to attach the mount to test all the areas due to the possibility of ruining the tint.

Dashcam is a Viofo A119s (wedge shaped camera similar to the StreetGuardian)
Let me know how you ran the wire. I have the same camera and want to mount it too. The liner at roof is so tight that I don't think I can squeeze the cable in there and run down the A pillar.
Old 03-25-17, 10:55 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
I have mine behind the mirror on the right side. I put it there because it doesn't block my view when driving. As for accessing the camera, I can still do it from the drivers seat. I am not going to sit there and review a days worth of video but if I needed to swap out a memory card or something, I can still do it.
Do you have yours sitting around the black dot area on the windshield or is it a bit lower? I would like to have a visual on my camera during startup to make sure that it is recording/working properly. With your current setup, would you have to move the mirror every time you needed to access the dashcam?
Old 03-25-17, 11:03 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Let me know how you ran the wire. I have the same camera and want to mount it too. The liner at roof is so tight that I don't think I can squeeze the cable in there and run down the A pillar.
I haven't installed the hardwire kit yet. I have it sitting in my center console with my add a fuse. The last time I checked, the headliner seemed to be flimsy enough on my vehicle where it folded a bit to allow the wire to fit behind it. I was able to push the cable up into the headliner. I don't see that being too much of an issue... The issue I foresee is running it to the fuse box via the A-Pillar. I'm not too sure on how to remove the A-pillar. I'll try to hardwire it tomorrow. Most likely, I'll use a credit card to shoehorn the cable in since I don't have trim removal tools.
Old 03-26-17, 05:28 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's how I mounted my dashcam. I hope that helps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-and-dent.html
Old 03-26-17, 10:00 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Wiring to the main fuse box.

The transformer went bad so I bought a direct wire one and put it behind the overhead console.

Old 03-26-17, 06:18 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Do you have yours sitting around the black dot area on the windshield or is it a bit lower? I would like to have a visual on my camera during startup to make sure that it is recording/working properly. With your current setup, would you have to move the mirror every time you needed to access the dashcam?
I have a vinyl strip that goes from the top of the windshield to the bottom of the black dot area to act as a visor and to cover the black dots. With that said, my camera is mounted on the black dot area but the actual camera part sits below it.

My dashcam has a parking mode where the camera is recording 24/7 as long as the battery isn't below a predetermined voltage. It is constantly recording but only saves impacts and motion detection. Upon startup, the camera tells me the number of events that occurred during parking mode so that's how I know it is working. It then gives me a few seconds to choose if I want to review the events and if I don't do anything, it shows the feeds from the front and rear cam for a couple more seconds, to make sure it is aimed correctly and then the screen turns off since you don't need it on while driving. During that time, I just turn my head so I can peek behind the mirror at the camera. The way I have my camera setup is that it isn't in my line of sight while driving but it isn't too hard to access front the drivers seat.

I recommend before hard wiring it in, to just use the lighter adapter and find the best place to put the camera. I moved mine around several times before deciding my placement. Anywhere on the drivers side of the mirror made it easy to access but felt like it was in my way. I thought about putting it all the way on the passenger side since I could see it easier but I couldn't reach over to use it. Behind the mirror on the passenger side was my compromise. IT was close enough that I could access it from the drivers seat, it was hidden behind the mirror so it was out of my line of sight and if I wanted view the screen I would just turn my head to view around the mirror.

Quick Reply: Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations