GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

I feel like these are seriously underrated and underappreciated trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 12:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts
Default I feel like these are seriously underrated and underappreciated trucks...

We are in the market for one of these, a used one. I get that these GXs haven't gotten rave reveiws--but seriously, am I the only one who wants a proper TRUCK, something that drives like a truck, that feels tough and indestructible? Something that will tow my boat NO PROBLEM for years on end? Something that I know I'll never get stuck in blizzards driving up to NY during the winter to see family? Surely most people know that these rigs will last for 20 years no problem? All that plus all the Lexus trimmings? What's not to love, here?

We have an IS350 we are paying down before we buy one of these, and I personally can't wait. Currently we also have a 2003 Yukon that we will also put toward the trade. I'm hoping (and assuming) that it will drive like a proper truck, like my Yukon does. I want all the Lexus refinement but I personally don't care for the crossover feel. I want a truck I can jump a curb with and it not feel broken after. I guess I'm part of a dying breed, but crossovers do NOTHING for me. I get the GX is old school but that's 80% of the reason I want one. Since my LS drives like new at 13 years old, I expect nothing less from a proper, body-on-frame, Toyota truck!
Old 02-22-17, 09:45 AM
dadc4s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn’t agree more. Love my GX for exactly those reasons. Its a beast, perfect for snow, and potholes and bad roads but very refined and comfortable. I have taken it on some long highway trips, it does a great job carrying people and gear in comfort. There are very few vehicles like it and I believe that partly accounts for the popularity of luxury versions of pickup trucks these days. You can spend 55K on a Platinum F-150 but the GX is a much better choice unless you need the pickup bed.
The following users liked this post:
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-22-17, 09:58 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

They don't get great reviews because of not being the most cutting edge in the technology department, the non-sporty truck like ride quality due to body on frame construction, and the fuel economy compared to others in it's field.

I was looking at GX's for the past couple of years and once the RX was paid off it took about 60 days for me to grab the 2017 I have now. Someday reviewers will look back and say the GX was underappreciated for it's time and lament the demise of body on frame construction because people don't want to spill their latte if the hit a rough patch in road. As far as the technology goes I like the old and reliable tech. Did you see the JD Power survey that just came out? Year over year technology is climbing the ladder in the complaint department. From user interfaces to 'features' not working right.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-22-17, 10:40 AM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I spent months researching Toyota's. My wife has a bad back, I had to find a vehicle with good seats. I have a 2012 Tundra, toughest truck I've ever owned. I was looking at all the Toyota SUV's, I like the Sequoia but it's bigger than I need. None of the others got me excited enough to buy. I didn't even know they made this model until I was leaving a shopping center and sat behind one. I noticed it's size and googled it when I got home. The more I read, the more I wanted one. The weather was bad and I got the flu, so 2 weeks later I bought one.
It is everything I could want in a vehicle. Excellent ride (amazing for a truck) towing capacity, I just sold my motorhome, and plan on buying a smaller camping trailer. It has decent power and it should be as tough as my Tundra. When I put it up on my lift, I was impressed with the suspension. it's as beefy as any off road vehicle you can buy.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-22-17, 11:01 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I looked into this refresh about two or so years ago but decided not to take it. Maybe I'm getting old but I wish I had gotten it sooner. While I don't have the "truck" usage, I really enjoy this SUV. It's quiet, stable and makes you feel safe. I never knew I (we) would like this SUV this much. My GS's interior and techs are significantly better than the GX's but surprisingly that doesn't bother me now. It used to the reason why I turned it down last time. Outside GX looks nice but not really a noticeable plus compared to other guys. What I really like is when I'm inside and drive it. Some complain about the gas mileage. My GS F Sports averages around 18-19 on mixed driving. My GX averages about 17-18 which I think is very acceptable (for Lexus family) for the V8. Some F Sports owners also claim they are down in 15-16 zone. Couple of things that I think would be great additions are the bolster and leg support for the seats. Those are what I miss when I'm not driving the GS. Other than that I agree, it is a great SUV in its segment (just like most if not all other Lexus models ) )
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 07:25 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

It's a very underrated, old-school approach to SUVs. The buyers who actually buy it (vs the journalists who review it) actually want a large, heavy and tall SUV. Otherwise they'd buy the RX or a Highlander or any number of products from the competition.

IMO the GX could really use a real redesign or at least a very substantial refresh with new powertrain, but it should remain what it is and what it has been since the 470. At a minimum, it needs a new engine and transmission, likely some sort of turbo V6 and a 8 or 10 speed, stop-start, a refreshed interior with a completely new dash and a new infotainment system, preferably with android auto and carplay. Lexus Safety System + is supposed to be standard in the coming years. A pano roof would follow the industry trend as well, perhaps a larger gas tank too. If they could redesign with all of these features then I don't see why it wouldn't again be a #1 choice in the comparisons.

The F150 mentioned above is a pretty good example of this, still a body-on-frame vehicle but substantially modernized with all the bells and whistles and a better ride and fuel economy to boot. When the time comes for me to spend $60k on another vehicle, GX will have to really shine to convince me to not get a Raptor. But for now I love my GX, and wish I could drive it everyday.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 08:07 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Like the OP, my previous DD was an 03 GMC Yukon (still have it as a spare vehicle). When shopping for a new full-sized SUV, I actually was intent on a new Tahoe or Yukon. After driving both and being very disappointed in their ride quality (noticeable vibration issues, which seem affect 2015+ models), I turned my attention to Lexus. Having a 2015 IS350, I was already impressed with Lexus quality. I test drove an RX and while it was nice vehicle it just wasn't what I was looking for. After a test drive in the GX, I was sold.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 09:54 AM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

I was about to pulled the trigger on an RX until I saw the GX and did the research on it. Once I drove the GX for a day, I sat in an RX at the dealership for about 15 minutes, decided to not waste the time on a test drive. They are nice cars. There is no comparison to the GX.
As far as a Raptor, the price difference between a Raptor and a Tundra will buy long travel suspension, wheels and tires. At that point, the Tundra will run with a Raptor and still be doing it 250k miles later, the Raptor won't. Don't get me wrong, I like Raptors, but I've never seen one do what my Tundra will do without a problem. Go to Moab and you will find out what vehicles are safe alone and which ones travel in groups. Jeeps are always in groups, Toyotas and Land Rovers you'll see alone. You see Raptors in high traffic areas, never alone out on trails.

BTW, not everyone wants a computer on wheels. It doesn't work when you are out in the middle of nowhere anyway.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 10:54 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by blutopless
As far as a Raptor, the price difference between a Raptor and a Tundra will buy long travel suspension, wheels and tires. At that point, the Tundra will run with a Raptor and still be doing it 250k miles later, the Raptor won't. Don't get me wrong, I like Raptors, but I've never seen one do what my Tundra will do without a problem. Go to Moab and you will find out what vehicles are safe alone and which ones travel in groups. Jeeps are always in groups, Toyotas and Land Rovers you'll see alone. You see Raptors in high traffic areas, never alone out on trails.

BTW, not everyone wants a computer on wheels. It doesn't work when you are out in the middle of nowhere anyway.
The appeal of the Raptor and stuff like TRD Pro models is that it's a factory package, full warranty, already engineered and sorted. The guy who buys a new truck to immediately mod it is a completely different buyer. Also, the Tundra is really getting decrepit these days, going on 12 years old with no redesign in sight. The rest of the market has truly left it in the dust.

There is definitely a good argument for simplicity and reliability which might work well for Toyota but I don't believe it works well for Lexus.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 11:06 AM
blutopless
Driver School Candidate

The only thing my Tundra doesn't have that my GX does is navigation, leather and a moonroof . I will probably never take my GX where I have taken the Tundra, but I could if I installed the same mods. If you've never looked under your GX at the suspension, you should. It's impressive. The front is built exactly like the Tundra, the Rear is close. I was surprised to see a full 4 link live axle with the ride it has. Tubular anti-roll bars that are huge. It's not just for boulevard cruising.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 02:52 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread topic. To answer your question, yes, I think the GX is seriously underrated by the automotive press but not by the public given the strong sales numbers this now 7 year old truck gets. The JD Power ratings felt like confirmation of my decision to buy a new GX over the other luxury crossovers it competes with. I love it. It's a beast. I have no use for the "truck" features but I don't care. The driving position, weight and feel make it unique against all its competitors. I don't fault anyone for buying an MDX or an XC90. They are great cars, handle better than the GX, have nicer tech and get better mileage. But to trash the GX like the reviews do is absurd. The GX is a man among boys in it's class.

Last edited by clerkp; 02-23-17 at 02:56 PM.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 05:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by clerkp
Great thread topic. To answer your question, yes, I think the GX is seriously underrated by the automotive press but not by the public given the strong sales numbers this now 7 year old truck gets. The JD Power ratings felt like confirmation of my decision to buy a new GX over the other luxury crossovers it competes with. I love it. It's a beast. I have no use for the "truck" features but I don't care. The driving position, weight and feel make it unique against all its competitors. I don't fault anyone for buying an MDX or an XC90. They are great cars, handle better than the GX, have nicer tech and get better mileage. But to trash the GX like the reviews do is absurd. The GX is a man among boys in it's class.
Love that quote
Is the GX really in the same class with the MDX and XC90 though? I think it's in an off-road and towing class of its own along with the LX.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 06:32 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Love that quote
Is the GX really in the same class with the MDX and XC90 though? I think it's in an off-road and towing class of its own along with the LX.
Well my soccer mom wife (actually baseball) cross shopped it with and MDX and xc90 among other 3 row cuvs.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-23-17, 11:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

it sells well enough especially now with the whole SUV boom. However without the majority of the market really not sharing the same underrate underappreciated thing, the GX is more so a niche vehicle which does its job well.
AJT123 (02-25-17)
Old 02-24-17, 07:22 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I intend to pickup another GX in second half of 2018. I hope the truck stays the same. I like that it's dead simple and dead reliable.
AJT123 (02-25-17)

Quick Reply: I feel like these are seriously underrated and underappreciated trucks...