GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Need Advice on a GX Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 10:38 AM
kazter011
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Advice on a GX Purchase

Hey guys. I have been researching a Lexus GX for the longest time and I want to thank you for your contributions on Club Lexus as it has been my main source of information.
As the title states, I am interested in purchasing a Lexus GX but I have a few quick questions. The vehicle I am looking for is a 2014 Luxury with Driver Support Package, an option I super desire!. The mileage on the SUV is 50,882 and it is from a Non-Lexus dealer so no L-Certified. My understanding is that I still have the power-train warranty till 70,000 miles, should I be concerned or worried?

Last edited by kazter011; 02-19-17 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 11:59 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned or worried at all with that year and mileage. Have you by chance pulled up the history to see if anything has been done to it?
Old 02-18-17, 02:40 PM
kazter011
Rookie

Originally Posted by tecman
I wouldn't be concerned or worried at all with that year and mileage. Have you by chance pulled up the history to see if anything has been done to it?
Great suggestion. I checked the Carfax report and it seems like it was in an accident last year, doesn't give me much detail besides saying "damage reported, damage to right front". The car looks immaculate in the pictures though. Are there any other tools I should use for history check?
Old 02-18-17, 03:17 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

You need the VIN then go to Lexus drivers website to check for servicell history.
Old 02-18-17, 03:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

^^

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history
Old 02-18-17, 03:31 PM
kazter011
Rookie

Thanks! Just checked, nothing major just regular maintenance. I'm curious to know what kind of damage was done when the accident happened, but I'll let the dealer call me. I don't want to seem too eager and I'm super upset about them offering me 3k less on my car for Trade in.
Old 02-18-17, 04:20 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I am not a fan of trading in a car. Yes you will lose money. If you can keep the car and sell it on AutoTrader or CarGurus and get more for it, go with that route. It maybe a bit frustrating and time consuming, but 1-3K maybe worth while. What is your current car? Would it be difficult to sell by owner for 3k more than offered for the trade in value?

Another perk of keeping the current car is driving it if you want to do any mods to the GX. I didn't really drive mine for weeks when I bought it.

Use the damage to the GX and the poor trade in value as a bargaining tool. Good luck

Last edited by tecman; 02-18-17 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 07:39 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

I believe every panel parts on the Lexus has the VIN attached to it. So, look for the VIN sticker on front right panel to see if it got hit there, also the front bumper as well. Test drive it and make sure it tracks straight since you don't want a damaged frame vehicle. Good luck.
Old 02-18-17, 08:13 PM
kazter011
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I believe every panel parts on the Lexus has the VIN attached to it. So, look for the VIN sticker on front right panel to see if it got hit there, also the front bumper as well. Test drive it and make sure it tracks straight since you don't want a damaged frame vehicle. Good luck.
thank you, another great advice. I should've probably mentioned the car is 9 hours away and if I drive all the way there and find the frame to be damaged... 😡
Lol
Old 02-19-17, 02:17 AM
kazter011
Rookie

I am not a fan of trading in a car. Yes you will lose money. If you can keep the car and sell it on AutoTrader or CarGurus and get more for it, go with that route. It maybe a bit frustrating and time consuming, but 1-3K maybe worth while. What is your current car? Would it be difficult to sell by owner for 3k more than offered for the trade in value?

Another perk of keeping the current car is driving it if you want to do any mods to the GX. I didn't really drive mine for weeks when I bought it.

Use the damage to the GX and the poor trade in value as a bargaining tool. Good luck
My current car is a 2010 Honda Civic, I've had it for 4 years and I cannot tell you how reliable it is. Originally I was looking to purchase a Range Rover but I remembered the "good" old days when I was fixing something on my Camaro every weekend. The Toyota and Honda reliability is by far the best feature on any car out there.
The reason I'm so hellbent on trading it in because it's quick and saves me money tax.
Old 02-19-17, 08:59 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by kazter011
My current car is a 2010 Honda Civic, I've had it for 4 years and I cannot tell you how reliable it is. Originally I was looking to purchase a Range Rover but I remembered the "good" old days when I was fixing something on my Camaro every weekend. The Toyota and Honda reliability is by far the best feature on any car out there.
The reason I'm so hellbent on trading it in because it's quick and saves me money tax.
civic is a simple car so parts and labor are usually less expensive. Moving into the GX and you will be SHOCKED when things go wrong. Things will go wrong and parts need to be replaced. The Lexus is still relatively reliable but I don't think it will be as reliable as the civic.

look for something locally...9 hours drive is no freaking way just to buy a garden variety Lexus, may be an LFA, NSX, or the rare supra.
Old 02-19-17, 09:21 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Can you register and check different VINs with this? Say if you're looking at a bunch of CPO cars you want to check their history?

Ed
Old 02-19-17, 01:13 PM
kazter011
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
civic is a simple car so parts and labor are usually less expensive. Moving into the GX and you will be SHOCKED when things go wrong. Things will go wrong and parts need to be replaced. The Lexus is still relatively reliable but I don't think it will be as reliable as the civic.

look for something locally...9 hours drive is no freaking way just to buy a garden variety Lexus, may be an LFA, NSX, or the rare supra.
Thanks for your input, I have my heart set on a GX and I'm getting a GX. I'm not sure how me looking for a deal translated into me being cheap 😉. Thing is, I'm graduating in May and I have already signed an offer "contingent upon graduation", not that I don't have a steady good income now but this job will make it rain 🤑. Additionally I have an associate in Automotive Maintenance Technology, before I pursued a business degree so most repairs will be done by yours truly .
Old 02-20-17, 07:19 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

You really have to inspect and drive the car yourself to gain any knowledge. 9 hours is a big distance to shop a car like this. IMO if you're willing to travel very far to find certain options, etc., travel a little farther for one without any accident history.

I shopped and test drove a few GXs before I bought mine. One had less mileage, same year and clean carfax but drove like a dog. You don't know this until you drive it unfortunately.

What is the price you are looking at on that vehicle? What's the spread on that one and a new one with DSP (with expected discounts)? If DSP is a must, it might be a lot easier and worth the extra bucks to order a new one.
Old 02-20-17, 07:25 AM
kazter011
Rookie

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
You really have to inspect and drive the car yourself to gain any knowledge. 9 hours is a big distance to shop a car like this. IMO if you're willing to travel very far to find certain options, etc., travel a little farther for one without any accident history.

I shopped and test drove a few GXs before I bought mine. One had less mileage, same year and clean carfax but drove like a dog. You don't know this until you drive it unfortunately.

What is the price you are looking at on that vehicle? What's the spread on that one and a new one with DSP (with expected discounts)? If DSP is a must, it might be a lot easier and worth the extra bucks to order a new one.
Hey Craig. The price is 37.5k, my goal is to negotiate to 35k but I highly doubt it'll happen. I think I'll just play it cool, let the salesman call me and I'll tell him I found a lot of "dirt" on this SUV such as an accident and how it had to be towed to the dealership a few times per the service history. I won't jump on this unless the deal is absolutely amazing.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on a GX Purchase