GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2018 gx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 03:14 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
$30k overpriced is about right on the LX and the Land Cruiser. The Land Cruiser would be compelling somewhere in the $50s, the Lexus at maybe $60k, but it's all old tech.
I wouldn't say it's $30k overpriced. I would prefer it removes some options and starts at 75k then loaded all the way to 90k or so. I'm sure Lexus can move 1000-2000 units per month at that price.

asking the LX to start at 60k is unrealistic. Did you check the Explorer? Many carry the sticker at 60k or more.
Old 02-18-17, 08:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I wouldn't say it's $30k overpriced. I would prefer it removes some options and starts at 75k then loaded all the way to 90k or so. I'm sure Lexus can move 1000-2000 units per month at that price.

asking the LX to start at 60k is unrealistic. Did you check the Explorer? Many carry the sticker at 60k or more.
If they stick to current pricing on the GX, add in LSS+ it`d be interesting what value the Luxury edition does for customers
Old 02-20-17, 07:10 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you changed your mind??

I do like the "new" LX but I have 2 problems preventing me from buying it. 1) $30k too expensive for me (starting @ $75k would be nice)
MSRP is $89,880, less $30k = $59,880.

$60,000 probably is unrealistic but somewhere in the 60s isn't IMO. QX80 starts in the lower 60s. Land Rover's pricetag on their new Discovery starts with a 4. The new Prado-based Armada starts in the mid 40s and the Prado is a direct competitor with the Land Cruiser.

I went to ford.com and optioned out an Explorer, pretty surprised you can option one up to $55k but I don't see how they go above 60k. Still, that's Ford's problem and I suspect they have to offer very deep discounts to move those units.

But yeah part of the price problem is that they don't really offer trim levels here (and zero options on LC). Overseas Toyota has to be a little competitive with Prado prices on the full-sized Landcruiser, so you can buy one very spartan if you choose.
Old 02-20-17, 01:32 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

MSRP is $89,880, less $30k = $59,880.

$60,000 probably is unrealistic but somewhere in the 60s isn't IMO. QX80 starts in the lower 60s. Land Rover's pricetag on their new Discovery starts with a 4. The new Prado-based Armada starts in the mid 40s and the Prado is a direct competitor with the Land Cruiser.

I went to ford.com and optioned out an Explorer, pretty surprised you can option one up to $55k but I don't see how they go above 60k. Still, that's Ford's problem and I suspect they have to offer very deep discounts to move those units.

But yeah part of the price problem is that they don't really offer trim levels here (and zero options on LC). Overseas Toyota has to be a little competitive with Prado prices on the full-sized Landcruiser, so you can buy one very spartan if you choose.
Read my post AGAIN. I said " $30k too expensive for me"...This does NOT mean it is overpriced. It means I am POOR and can't afford a $90k Lexus....but may be a $75k LX...
Old 02-21-17, 07:27 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The thing that gets me about complaints that Lexus uses old engines and platforms is that their decision to stick with the "old" is likely one of the reasons their cars are so reliable. If they were constantly upgrading and moving to new technology I highly doubt we'd get to enjoy the reliability that we do. Range Rovers are great and I'd absolutely have one instead of a GX if I didn't care about reliability (because I only buy used cars). Right now, however, reliability is an important factor for me so I'm happy to trade new engines and transmissions for higher reliability.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that many Lexus vehicles are based on cheaper models also plays into it. Cheaper cars don't push new technology at the rates higher end cars do. BMW didn't start with a lower tier SUV and add a few features on top to create the X5. Range Rover didn't do it either. The Q7, while sharing a platform with a VW (albeit a very expensive VW), also shares its platform with a Porsche, a Bentley and eventually a Lamborghini. Lexus does far more platform sharing with a lower-tier brand than the European luxury brands.

The final thing is resale value. Even if you believe the GX/LX are are priced too high new, the excellent depreciation still makes them better overall values in many cases. My last BMW, which I bought as a used CPO, lost nearly $10k in value in under two years. My GX, which I've had for a year, can be traded in (not sold) for about $2k less than I paid. I could sell my car for the same price I paid today if I wanted to.

The new Prado-based Armada starts in the mid 40s and the Prado is a direct competitor with the Land Cruiser.

Are you referring to the Patrol? The Prado is...the GX.
Old 03-12-17, 06:39 PM
lexusimon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so itchy to get a GX...
Old 03-12-17, 07:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusimon
so itchy to get a GX...
New or used? What is causing your itch
Old 03-12-17, 07:28 PM
lexusimon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
New or used? What is causing your itch
you know what's causing it...
my not-so-luxury german suv has so many glitches and gives me a lot of headaches. I'm in the process of fixing the problems and trading up to a new GX
Old 03-12-17, 09:01 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope a resigned GX is coming within the next two years.
Old 03-12-17, 10:37 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm skeptical if Lexus will continue to build the GX as we know it. I see it becoming some sort of car based SUV. More like a larger Lexus RX.

The new draconian EPA CAFE rules pretty much make it impossible for automakers to make heavy duty, body on frame SUVs like this much longer because of the fuel economy numbers. Here's to hoping some changes are made and people can decide themselves what they want to buy.
Old 03-13-17, 09:51 AM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Lexus will continue to build it as is. GX was never built for U.S. It was a conversion of LC Prado for the rest of the world. The demand is still there outside U.S. and it's cheap to dress it up a little for here.
Old 03-13-17, 11:21 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

$60,000 probably is unrealistic but somewhere in the 60s isn't IMO. QX80 starts in the lower 60s. Land Rover's pricetag on their new Discovery starts with a 4...
It's not that they don't know about your strategy. It's they don't want to IMO. I looked into RX and was surprised how some package/options can get you in the 60s where the base start in low 40s. There's a big gap from GX to LX and I think Lexus knows and wants to keep it that way because they want to target and keep certain groups of buyers. Same to GS vs. LS.
Old 03-13-17, 12:28 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
I believe Lexus will continue to build it as is. GX was never built for U.S. It was a conversion of LC Prado for the rest of the world. The demand is still there outside U.S. and it's cheap to dress it up a little for here.

Lexus definitely WANTS to continue to import the GX as is, Lexus does very well with their SUVs, dealers are actually upset that they aren't given more inventory.

The problem is, the EPA has regulations in the US about what the average fuel economy of a car fleet can have (CAFE) and the GX and LX drag down the average to the point where they would have to start paying "gas guzzler" taxes if the new standards go into place.

By 2025, a car company across their fleet has to average 54.5mpgs. A new GX average is like 17mpg.

I'm hoping this gets changed because everybody is going to have to drive a Prius to hit that number.
The following users liked this post:
davidc1 (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 12:38 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400

Are you referring to the Patrol? The Prado is...the GX.
YES! Guess I had the prado on my mind... Either that or someone sabotaged my posts.

Originally Posted by lexusimon
you know what's causing it...
my not-so-luxury german suv has so many glitches and gives me a lot of headaches. I'm in the process of fixing the problems and trading up to a new GX
A couple of years in a BMW had me yearning for a Toyota.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
It's not that they don't know about your strategy. It's they don't want to IMO. I looked into RX and was surprised how some package/options can get you in the 60s where the base start in low 40s. There's a big gap from GX to LX and I think Lexus knows and wants to keep it that way because they want to target and keep certain groups of buyers. Same to GS vs. LS.
Yep! They absolutely want to squeeze as much money out of it as they can. They did reduce prices on the GX I believe with the 2014 facelift, but if they can charge more money and sell the same amount of vehicles, why not? A few years ago the GX was really a no-brainer vs the competition, but now that we have some new options, the GX is becoming less appealing with each passing year and no redesign. But it still sells well, so Toyota has no reason to update.
Old 03-13-17, 12:45 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Lexus definitely WANTS to continue to import the GX as is, Lexus does very well with their SUVs, dealers are actually upset that they aren't given more inventory.

The problem is, the EPA has regulations in the US about what the average fuel economy of a car fleet can have (CAFE) and the GX and LX drag down the average to the point where they would have to start paying "gas guzzler" taxes if the new standards go into place.

By 2025, a car company across their fleet has to average 54.5mpgs. A new GX average is like 17mpg.

I'm hoping this gets changed because everybody is going to have to drive a Prius to hit that number.
Yes, it's a problem for all manufacturers. But I thought there were different CAFE figures for trucks such as GX, Tahoes, Yukons, Expeditions, etc.. Either way, as long as GM/Ford still sells their truck based SUVs, I hope Toyota does the same.

Quick Reply: 2018 gx?