GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2018 gx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 06:10 PM
GX4602011
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

As long as there is a Prado there wouldn't be much investing cost to continue the GX along. Same as for the LX with there being a Land Cruiser. The Prado (and Landcruiser V-8 gasoline & diesel) is very popular in Australia being available with 4.0L V-6 and 3.0L diesel and seems to be in demand there and likely other areas where truly 4wd capable vehicles are required.

As a recent owner (wife, mostly) of a CPO GX the one thing I wish it did not have were those back seats as I'd rather have the extra storage space.
Old 02-11-17, 12:25 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexus007
Has anybody heard if Lexus will redesign the 2018 GX? I thought the first generation 2004-2009 was long, this gen seems to be even longer (2010-2017).
The GX470 started with model year 2003 and sales started in 2002. At this point, the GX 460 has only had an additional year compared to the GX 470.
Old 02-12-17, 09:15 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Its interesting though that towing capacity of the GX is 1500lbs more only compared to a V6 unibody highlander. But if you compare the V6 highlander to its corp cousin the RX, the RX with the same engine does a measly 3500. I guess the RXL or whatever its called will tow closer to his corp cousin
Old 02-14-17, 05:53 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do hope Lexus turns the next GX into a CUV. Look at the GLS, Q7, and the up and coming X7. Lexus needs a CUV in that segment. It would be foolish for Lexus to hand that market to the Germans. We would dump our GL 450 and GLE in no time if Lexus doesn't make the new GX ugly.
Old 02-15-17, 07:29 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexus007
I personally think there is more overlapping between the GX and the LX, than the GX and the RX-L. People buy the GX because it's affordable than the LX and not much less capable. People buy the GX because the want that towing capacity. Comparing the GX to the RX-L (upcoming 3-row) is comparing apples and oranges. Therefore I don't think even with the RX-L, that means it's the end for the GX.

As someone said here, if Lexus get the GX infortainment system and engines up to speed, I think the new GX will be a hot seller. I personally want to get a used GX, but their price holds so well and it doesn't make sense. We are waiting for what Lexus is doing with the next generation GX. The LX is out of our price range.

My view is, if Lexus can invest in the LX with sales of only 500 per month (US), I can't see why they wouldn't do simple investment in the GX where they can sell 1700-2500 each month.
So much this.

Why people assume a 3-row RX precludes a GX is beyond me. So what, Lexus would have three different 3-row SUVs? Big deal. Toyota offers four different three-row options in the US alone, something like half a dozen options worldwide.

And exactly, the Landcruiser and LX only sell a handful of units per day but it's a high-margin vehicle so they keep it around. The GX is also a high-margin moneymaker, worth hundreds and hundreds of millions per year in sales by itself. There is no doubt in my mind that GX will continue to be in the lineup.

Only thing that worries me is that GX won't actually get any new redesign in 2018, 2019, 2020 and instead will get yet another facelift (like the LX, Sequoia, Tundra, etc). Toyota has shown lately that they really don't make anything new anymore, at least truck wise, and the competition is leaving them in the dust. I really admire Toyota quality and reliability, but if Lexus is going to keep rolling out the SOS it's hard to justify buying a new one over a Rover, Q7, or GLS, or simply just keeping what I've got.
Old 02-15-17, 08:22 AM
daxia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also think/hope Toyota will keep GX along the new RX-L. GX will get update after 2018 Padro which has high volume worldwide. Tested drive the Q7 recently to see why it gets high marks on various reviews. My impression: it looks like a minivan, drives like a minivan and is noisier than GX. Styling taste is personal, but LR4 is the best of SUVs in my book.
Old 02-15-17, 07:35 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by daxia
Styling taste is personal, but LR4 is the best of SUVs in my book.
The LR4 has been replaced with the Discovery (again).
Old 02-15-17, 07:46 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by daxia
Tested drive the Q7 recently to see why it gets high marks on various reviews. My impression: it looks like a minivan, drives like a minivan and is noisier than GX. Styling taste is personal, but LR4 is the best of SUVs in my book.
Same feeling about the Q7 here. I always like how Audi look and it was expected that I test drove the Q7 when I was looking for a new SUV. I wasn't quite impressed especially with the prices for the added features. I also had a GL for a week to try out but couldn't find anything especial for the price tag except the badge.
And yes styling taste is certainly personal. My neighbor has an LR4. We always wonder why such vehicle exists. I love the Range Rover though.
Old 02-16-17, 10:11 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Q7 simply has a gorgeous interior and pretty much all of the modern amenities. That said, it gets pretty expensive optioned up, and it rides a little low for my tastes.

IMO the new Disco is not particularly attractive but perhaps it'll look better in person. I'd probably go with the Range Rover Sport. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Defender whenever that arrives.

I find the GLS to be the most appealing in the luxury SUV segment but then you're looking at a minimum of about $80k, more like $90 or $100.

With Ford's new 2018 Expedition there should be a new Navigator coming too. BMW X7 is also around the corner and should be a nice option.

Last edited by Craigyyy; 02-16-17 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 11:34 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
So much this.

Why people assume a 3-row RX precludes a GX is beyond me. So what, Lexus would have three different 3-row SUVs? Big deal. Toyota offers four different three-row options in the US alone, something like half a dozen options worldwide.

And exactly, the Landcruiser and LX only sell a handful of units per day but it's a high-margin vehicle so they keep it around. The GX is also a high-margin moneymaker, worth hundreds and hundreds of millions per year in sales by itself. There is no doubt in my mind that GX will continue to be in the lineup.

Only thing that worries me is that GX won't actually get any new redesign in 2018, 2019, 2020 and instead will get yet another facelift (like the LX, Sequoia, Tundra, etc). Toyota has shown lately that they really don't make anything new anymore, at least truck wise, and the competition is leaving them in the dust. I really admire Toyota quality and reliability, but if Lexus is going to keep rolling out the SOS it's hard to justify buying a new one over a Rover, Q7, or GLS, or simply just keeping what I've got.
..like you I will NOT buy another GX if it carries the same engine/chasis.

I do like the "new" LX but I have 2 problems preventing me from buying it. 1) $30k too expensive for me (starting @ $75k would be nice) and 2) Old powertrain. It needs new engine(s), transmission, and new chasis to compete..
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 02:44 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

I do like the "new" LX but I have 2 problems preventing me from buying it. 1) $30k too expensive for me (starting @ $75k would be nice) and 2) Old powertrain. It needs new engine(s), transmission, and new chasis to compete..
I wouldn't rule anything out completely, but Lexus and Toyota are really making it hard to sell me another one. I really like my GX but if I was spending that money new, it's very hard to choose something that's approaching a decade old.

$30k overpriced is about right on the LX and the Land Cruiser. The Land Cruiser would be compelling somewhere in the $50s, the Lexus at maybe $60k, but it's all old tech. They did upgrade to an 8spd but the 5.7L is very, very long in the tooth. Style wise though the LX is very attractive but they really needed a proper redesign if they're going to hope to justify that huge pricetag.
Old 02-17-17, 01:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

Have you seen on the responses from the LX subsection, people are running for the hills when you mention anything but what it has in it right now. Concerns, fears, mild PMS all coupled in one if you mention Turbos or 10 speed lol

You can see why Lexus loves holding on to the "old tech"
Old 02-17-17, 01:18 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The old tech has allowed the GX to become a more affordable option in its class. I believe the MSRP has actually fallen and with discounts available, it can be had in the low to mid 50s. That puts it in a class with the MDX rather than in a class with the Q7 and XC90 (among others). If they upgrade the GX with a new powertrain and better efficiency, I'm guessing it competes better with the luxury 'utes rather than the premium 'utes (acura, infiniti) its currently being priced against. At 60k, the GX probably doesn't compete with the current offerings from BMW, Audi and Volvo but at 53-55k, I think it fits a nice niche.
Old 02-17-17, 01:58 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by clerkp
The old tech has allowed the GX to become a more affordable option in its class. I believe the MSRP has actually fallen and with discounts available, it can be had in the low to mid 50s. That puts it in a class with the MDX rather than in a class with the Q7 and XC90 (among others). If they upgrade the GX with a new powertrain and better efficiency, I'm guessing it competes better with the luxury 'utes rather than the premium 'utes (acura, infiniti) its currently being priced against. At 60k, the GX probably doesn't compete with the current offerings from BMW, Audi and Volvo but at 53-55k, I think it fits a nice niche.
They did reduce the MSRP a few years back, but they are all priced similarly. Off top of my head, Q7 and new Disco both start at $49,900 or something like that. I believe X5 is low $50s. Of course you can option them up substantially from there.

Discounts are available at other brands as well, but of course that varies brand to brand. Fully optioned GX might be better equipped, I am not sure, but I believe fully optioned in a GX puts you at $70k as well just like the competition when well optioned. I want to say biggest discounts I typically hear on GX are about $5,000 to $6,000.
Old 02-17-17, 02:39 PM
clerkp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
They did reduce the MSRP a few years back, but they are all priced similarly. Off top of my head, Q7 and new Disco both start at $49,900 or something like that. I believe X5 is low $50s. Of course you can option them up substantially from there.

Discounts are available at other brands as well, but of course that varies brand to brand. Fully optioned GX might be better equipped, I am not sure, but I believe fully optioned in a GX puts you at $70k as well just like the competition when well optioned. I want to say biggest discounts I typically hear on GX are about $5,000 to $6,000.
I was able to get a 2017 premium for $53,000. You cannot touch an XC90 or Q7 for that price with comparable options. XC90 is 58 to 60k to get in the door unless you want the non-3 row base version. Didn't cross shop with the X5 because of the lack of 3 rows. You are correct that stepping up to the Luxury model gets you in the 60s but that was out of my price range.

Quick Reply: 2018 gx?