GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Buying 2011 GX 460 w/ around 90k...anything I should be concerned about?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 10:03 PM
busybee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2011 GX 460 w/ around 90k...anything I should be concerned about?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a GX 460.. I found a nice 2011 white base model with around 90k miles on it. Is there anything I should be concerned about? I've been doing some research and read about the bypass valve but doesn't seem to affect a large group of owners. Other than that was there anything else?
I also saw a 2013 premium for a bit more $$$ with 60k, I would like to get you guy's opinion on that as well.

Thanks all! hope to be an owner and an active user in this forum soon!
Old 11-10-16, 06:41 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

If it was me I would probably go with the 2013 prem, especially since it has 30K less miles.. But since it costs more, that's a financial decision only you can make.
The following users liked this post:
Richie7 (09-06-19)
Old 11-10-16, 08:31 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

I have a 2011 base with 90k miles (had it since 38k) and no problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
GB2011GX (09-10-19), Richie7 (09-06-19)
Old 11-10-16, 11:12 PM
busybee
Driver School Candidate

Good to know guys! Thanks for the info!
Old 11-11-16, 08:26 AM
Quintin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 w/ 60k miles. Other than cold engine start hearing humming, which doesn't really bother me- these SUVs are built solid. Plus, Toyota's legendary engines and transmissions are never a bad thing---they keep going and going!
Richie7 (09-06-19)
Old 11-11-16, 08:55 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I hope not!

You should do a thorough test drive and ideally have your own mechanic do an inspection. But I would be more concerned with general wear & tear at 90k than mechanical issues. When I was shopping for mine, there was a huge difference in quality among cars of similar year and mileage, some practically like new at 60 and 70k and others completely rough and trashed at 50k.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
Old 11-11-16, 11:10 AM
Todd6571
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought my 2011 GX premium with 133K about a month ago. I drove it from Dallas, Texas to northern Minnesota. No issues other than needing to replace the original battery. My GX had been maintained at a Dallas area Lexus dealership, and the owner had kept all of the records. If the truck you're looking at has been maintained at a Lexus dealer, they will have the records and you'll have access to them, but not until you own the truck. Looks like there's a rather extensive recommended service at about the 120K mark, which mine has had.

I'm only one month in, but absolutely no regrets. At 90K, that truck is probably only about a quarter used up.
Richie7 (09-06-19)
Old 11-12-16, 11:34 PM
busybee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Todd6571
I just bought my 2011 GX premium with 133K about a month ago. I drove it from Dallas, Texas to northern Minnesota. No issues other than needing to replace the original battery. My GX had been maintained at a Dallas area Lexus dealership, and the owner had kept all of the records. If the truck you're looking at has been maintained at a Lexus dealer, they will have the records and you'll have access to them, but not until you own the truck. Looks like there's a rather extensive recommended service at about the 120K mark, which mine has had.

I'm only one month in, but absolutely no regrets. At 90K, that truck is probably only about a quarter used up.
Was the adjustable height/comfort system a concern for you? Never really had experience with them and don't know how long it would last.
Old 11-13-16, 03:14 AM
Todd6571
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To me it's no more worrisome than anything else on the truck, which of course is only 5 years old. The adjustable height and suspension comfort settings are seldom changed in most of these trucks once an owner finds their favorite settings. My wife's 2004 GX 470 has the same system, and we've never had a problem with it, though it should be pointed out that she's never used the adjustable height or suspension controls. I wanted the premium, and I'm glad that I went that route. I suspect a base model would be extremely nice as well. I chose a Lexus over other luxury brands because of it's reputation (and our experience) of low maintenance costs even after many miles and years of ownership, As long as it appears the vehicle has been well-maintained by it's previous owner. Only a month in, but so far it looks like I made a good choice.
Richie7 (09-06-19)
Old 11-13-16, 11:28 AM
busybee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Todd6571
To me it's no more worrisome than anything else on the truck, which of course is only 5 years old. The adjustable height and suspension comfort settings are seldom changed in most of these trucks once an owner finds their favorite settings. My wife's 2004 GX 470 has the same system, and we've never had a problem with it, though it should be pointed out that she's never used the adjustable height or suspension controls. I wanted the premium, and I'm glad that I went that route. I suspect a base model would be extremely nice as well. I chose a Lexus over other luxury brands because of it's reputation (and our experience) of low maintenance costs even after many miles and years of ownership, As long as it appears the vehicle has been well-maintained by it's previous owner. Only a month in, but so far it looks like I made a good choice.
Good to know man! Thanks for that info
Old 03-28-17, 07:31 PM
jasongx460
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by busybee
Good to know man! Thanks for that info
my 2011 @75k. I love it, there is no problem with my gx
GB2011GX (09-10-19)
Old 09-05-19, 02:57 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For whatever it's worth for any new buyers.... I bought a 2010 with air suspension and adjustable shocks with 100K last year (2018) in May. It has now (Sep 2019) 135K miles on it and is running as new. Great cars!! Only downside... low gas mileage!
Earlier this year (at ~120K miles) I preventively DIY replaced the shocks with non-adjustable OEM struts in the front and non-adjustable Bilsteins 4600 (for 4-runner) in the back, and also replaced the airbags with Arnotts (w/ lifetime warranty). Everything I replaced was in perfect working order, but I thought it was about time. Better do this on your (planned) terms, than having to over-pay whenever they crap out. Job was relatively easy.
Car drives as good as a new one (I test-drove at the dealer).
Just speak up if you need pointers if you want to do the same.
Richie7 (09-06-19)
Old 09-06-19, 03:25 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just purchased a '10 Premium with 63k on it and love it. I paid $22,500 + tax. But I knew the one owner family who wintered in CA and the dealer. I do not think I have ever enjoyed driving such a comfortable vehicle.
Acrad (09-09-19)
Old 09-06-19, 08:48 AM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I picked up our 12 with 80k on it absolutely love it. Was a 1 owner vehicle with all the documented service records.

FYI you can put the VIN in the lexus database and should be able to get the service records prior too owning it. I was able to.

In my research there was 2 areas for concern, the recall for the secondary air pumps and making sure it's not leaking coolant, (valley pan and below on the tranny pan are the areas to look at) you'll hear it refereed to as"cotton candy". Water pumps can tend to start going out around 90k was something I also saw. Nothing else to really look for other than basic driveability.

IMHO, don't worry about mileage and price. I 'd be more concerned about service records and condition. I'd take a well maintained GX with 100k on it versus one with no records and 60k.

As for the features between a premium vs base. Up to you. This is my wifes car and our other road trip vehicle. We have a case edition and other than the DVD really wouldn't have changed my mind. It won't see dirt ever, while the GX is capable offroad I built my jeep for my back woods adventures and beat up on that.
Old 09-09-19, 05:05 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

I own a 2011 base loaded with both option packages offered with 80k miles, no problems ever other than replacing the rear ABS wire that caused the dash to light up(and dealership quoting $2k) which only costed me $100. The trucks are super solid and reliable.

Quick Reply: Buying 2011 GX 460 w/ around 90k...anything I should be concerned about?