GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Crunching/Scraping sound from front passengers side on right turns/bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 10:18 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crunching/Scraping sound from front passengers side on right turns/bumps

So every time I hit a slight bump whilst making a right turn, I hear a scraping sound coming from my front wheel well area. If I go a bit faster, its louder.

Any thoughts on this one? And, no I haven't changed my tires or had any suspension mods lately. Everything BAU.

2013 GX 36k miles.

Last edited by frank69m; 10-21-16 at 10:19 PM. Reason: put more info.
Old 11-04-16, 05:46 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone? no one like this?

I actually noticed it occurs when you do harder breaking and you are making or about to make a right turn....it's kinda a scraping sound.
Old 11-05-16, 10:22 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

There can be a number of reasons and in order to properly diagnose it you would need to put it on a lift or stands.

If it only happens while braking, it may be one of your pads, one of them may be worn down too much or one side of the piston may be seized. First thing I would do is visually check the rotor on the side to make sure it is evenly worn on all areas.

If everything looks ok you really need to lift the truck and try to check out all components involved, try to manually turn the wheel while someone gently applies the brake. Try to wiggle the wheel and check for loose components.
Old 12-07-16, 12:11 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Frank,
I had exactly the same problem on my GX. I do quite a bit of off-roading and it was really driving me nuts. I tried getting out of the vehicle, pushing down on the body (to see if the noise was in the suspension, etc), but that didn't work. But, if/when I braked, or when I went over big bumps, it would crunch/squeak. My vehicle was just about to 50k miles, and my warranty was about to end, so I took it by a dealership to have the 'noise' looked at. A great mechanic went for a ride with me, and listened to the crunch, and he quickly said, "I know what that noise is!" It's the rubber bumpers/stops that the front hood rest on (above your headlights). He twisted each of the rubber bumpers/stops UP about 1 turn, and that took care of it!
By the way, he said that he has seen that problem on a number of GX's, LX's, Tundras, and Tacomas. He said that those bumpers/stops should be adjusted by the preparing dealer before the vehicle is delivered new. However, it is something that is often skipped, or done wrong by the people who prep the vehicles. So, try turning those bumpers/stops out/up about a turn or so, and see what happens. Hopefully, the 'fix' will be just as quick and easy for you.
Old 12-07-16, 02:26 PM
sashi
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed this when I purchased my 2014 gx. it drove me crazy because I would constant hear a tapping sound coming from the passenger side whenever I was driving.
at first I thought the crossbars I installed myself was the reason but when I took them off, I would hear the same sound. I even took it to the lexus service dept and they took it out for like 10 miles but they didnt hear a sound(I'll explain why later).
Finally after about a month, I realized the sounds were coming from the passenger headrest rocking back & forth. I confirmed it when I heard the noise, I held the passenger headrest still with my right hand & the noise stopped. the reason the lexus techs didnt notice was because 1 of them was sitting on the passenger seat probably with his head against the headrest. to solve this, whenever the noise happened, I would either put the headrest all the way in & push it as far back as possible. hopefully this is the cause of your noise as was mine....
Old 12-09-16, 04:51 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Any update on this Frank?