GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dealer car "wash"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 12:03 PM
fishnlab
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealer car "wash"?

Perhaps the wrong forum...but figured I'd ask here. Wife took our 2015 GX460 (purchased new Sep. 2015) to our local Lexus dealership today for a wash after driving through our seasonal bugs on the highway last weekend. When the car was brought back, the bugs were off the windshield, but the car was sent to the body shop for the bugs on the leading edge of the hood.
They came back with an estimate of $300 to SAND and REPAINT the front of the hood to remove the bugs. They were "kind" enough to offer her a clear bra for the hood (another $300) that would help with this in the future.
Does this seem crazy?!? I've never heard of this before for bug removal in 25 years of Honda, GMC, Buick, Ford x3, Chevrolet, Volvo x2, Toyota, Mercedes ownership.

Any off the shelf cleaners that forum members recommend for bug removal that will not damage the paint?
Old 09-26-16, 06:07 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

You can try Goo-Gone, Home Depot sells it. I have never tried it on paint but should be fine so you should do a surface test but should be safe to use.
Old 09-26-16, 07:13 PM
bigsley18
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy *****! Never go back to that dealership again. I'm shocked that a Lexus dealership would train an employee to be that dumb. I guess Sewell spoiled me.

I would try a clay bar. If nothing, you can try instant detailer spray with a few clean microfiber towels. Or, may want to contact a pro retailer who can polish it out if you're not comfortable with this type of work. I'd be very careful with Goo-Gone. Make sure to not leave it on the paint for too long if you do use it. It'll start to eat away at the clear coat. Post a picture of the affected area(s) if you can.

And maybe it's just me, because of how **** I can be, I would suggest you or anybody refuse the "complimentary" car wash. Every vehicle is run through an automated car wash. The vertical noddles or rotating mop that touch and wash your car are contaminated with all sorts of debris. So when the noodles/mop are going back and forth or spinning, they're actually scratching and marring up your paint. That's why I always avoid and why I always suggest to others to avoid automated car washes. I hope your GX isn't black.

Last edited by bigsley18; 09-26-16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 06:44 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsley18
Holy *****! Never go back to that dealership again. I'm shocked that a Lexus dealership would train an employee to be that dumb. I guess Sewell spoiled me.

I would try a clay bar. If nothing, you can try instant detailer spray with a few clean microfiber towels. Or, may want to contact a pro retailer who can polish it out if you're not comfortable with this type of work. I'd be very careful with Goo-Gone. Make sure to not leave it on the paint for too long if you do use it. It'll start to eat away at the clear coat. Post a picture of the affected area(s) if you can.

And maybe it's just me, because of how **** I can be, I would suggest you or anybody refuse the "complimentary" car wash. Every vehicle is run through an automated car wash. The vertical noddles or rotating mop that touch and wash your car are contaminated with all sorts of debris. So when the noodles/mop are going back and forth or spinning, they're actually scratching and marring up your paint. That's why I always avoid and why I always suggest to others to avoid automated car washes. I hope your GX isn't black.
^ It's not just you, I never let the dealer wash any of my cars. Not only do I tell them, and even though there is a note on the RO I put a sign on my dashboard in bold letters stating; "PLEASE DO NOT WASH CAR"..

I started using the sign about 5 years ago when my MB dealer washed our ML even though I told them not to. My SA told me, sorry sometimes the guys just automatically wash them without reading the RO.
Old 09-27-16, 09:36 AM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How difficult is it to remove the bugs on the edges of the hood? Are there any chips on the hoods? Why do they have to repaint it unless there are chips on the hood? Bugs don't cause chips on the hood. I woud hand wash it with 2 buckets technique and wax/ buff it off. Save $300.

As far as clear bra, what does it include for $300? Full length of the hood and fenders or partial? Does it cover the front bumper too?
Old 09-27-16, 10:54 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

bug and tar still stick to clear bra and its a pain to get off (i have xpel).

never ever have dealer wash it!
Old 09-27-16, 01:23 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
You can try Goo-Gone, Home Depot sells it. I have never tried it on paint but should be fine so you should do a surface test but should be safe to use.
Don't use Goo Gone on your paint, it will damage your paint. I never let the dealer wash my vehicles. I use a bug sponge and soap and
water to remove bugs. You can use a bug and tar remover, but should wash and wax after using it.
Old 10-02-16, 06:15 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Afta

Look for a product called AFTA. I had a friend that used to prep the car at the dealerships. Porsche, Lamborghini, ect... he got me a little of this stuff and is magic with the Tar and bugs. Great on any paint. But for official purpose it. *USE ARE YOUR OWN RISK*
Old 10-02-16, 07:25 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Agree w/Craig

Originally Posted by Craig B
Don't use Goo Gone on your paint, it will damage your paint. I never let the dealer wash my vehicles. I use a bug sponge and soap and
water to remove bugs. You can use a bug and tar remover, but should wash and wax after using it.
I agree with Craig 100%. Do not use Goo Gone on your paint. It's a solvent and designed to remove paint - such as graffiti!
There are many good Bug and Tar removers available at your local Auto Parts store, or on Amazon.
Old 10-03-16, 01:47 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

If you never waxed, and the bugs have been sitting on the paint in the Texas sun for years, it could very well etch into the paint.

Still seems a little ridiculous on such a new car.

One benefit of buying pre-owned is that you don't have to worry about the paint.
Old 10-03-16, 03:40 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Elbow grease. #smh
Old 10-05-16, 12:32 PM
Rhinetom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy for sure! North park Lexus, San Antonio lost one of my front wipers in their car wash and they drove to my home 15 miles away and installed 2 brand new Lexus wiper blades for me for free.
Old 10-05-16, 04:09 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will swear by this: use FOAMING glass cleaner in a spray can. Spray it on, let it foam and use a "non-Scratch" sponge to wipe it off. This works great! I've used rubbing compound to try and get bug guts off the paint and this works 10x better.