GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Question for current owners.... Should I do it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 06:24 AM
landdmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for current owners.... Should I do it??

So, first of all let me admit that I am not looking at the GX for the towing at all. I am, as I think many others are, just a mom who runs around town with my kids... I have driven a ton of CUV's...Volvo XC90, Pilot, GMC Acadia and Yukon, Dodge Durango and an MDX. Nothing has overly impressed me and I keep coming back to the GX. I love the height and drive and comfort. I only have 2 kids, so while I don't need the 3rd row, and will most always keep it down, it is nice when the kids have a friend or we want to haul the grandparents. The biggest thing that concerns me is the back door, how annoying is it really?? I currently drive an Odyssey, and realize I will be giving up tons of cargo space, but that power liftgate is really nice. Do you find that the manual side swinging door is superobnoxious or is it livable?? I really love most everything else about this car, and have driven it twice. Each time I left the dealership after staring at that door. Opinions????
Old 07-28-16, 07:23 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought I'd hate it when I bought it but I've gotten used to it and have no problem with it. The only thing I think I miss with a normal tailgate is when it's raining you don't have a cover to load your groceries and whatever else you need to put back there. Other than that it's no biggie. I have a really clean 2012 for sale if your looking.
Old 07-28-16, 07:26 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Get what you like!

The excuse to buy mine was for our first child, but really I've just always wanted one because of the comfort, the quality and the look. And the added safety and confidence that a high, 4x4 5,500 lb vehicle offers. Like you I will never tow anything, and will rarely put anybody in the 3rd row. But the ability to carry 2 more and the extra space behind the 2nd row is nice to have from time to time. I often have 3 or 4 people in the front and two large dogs in the back.

I actually like the rear swing door. Most of the criticism of the rear swing door is that you need a lot of space to open it all the way. But usually you only have to open it a couple feet to access your cargo. And then the rear glass opens up too. However if you park on the street everyday in tight spaces, and have to open the door all the way to unload your plywood sheets or whatever, then it might be a problem. My wife has a power liftgate on hers (MDX), which is definitely nice, but it has its drawbacks. We both park in the garage at home and there's not a lot of clearance behind our cars. I can actually open my door and unload groceries or the dog inside the closed garage while she has to have the garage door open for me to open her tailgate.
Old 07-28-16, 02:58 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I thought I'd hate it when I bought it but I've gotten used to it and have no problem with it. The only thing I think I miss with a normal tailgate is when it's raining you don't have a cover to load your groceries and whatever else you need to put back there. Other than that it's no biggie. I have a really clean 2012 for sale if your looking.
Same here, I thought I would hate it, but it's not a big deal unless it rains.

Hey Eppieguy what are your plans? Newer GX or something else?
Old 07-28-16, 05:43 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

It does not bother us a bit.
Old 07-28-16, 06:44 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by tecman
Same here, I thought I would hate it, but it's not a big deal unless it rains.

Hey Eppieguy what are your plans? Newer GX or something else?
Well, since you asked, I've ordered a 2017 Audi Q7,

Prestige Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assist Package
Ink Blue Mettalic
Nougat Brown Inferior

Scheduked to be built 10/24, delivered approx 11/30.

ok, flame on, I can take it.

I love my current GX and if it weren't for some work related issues taking place in about 4 years I wouldn't even be considering selling it but it. I was ready to order a 2017 GX and had it all spec'd out and then I drove a Q7 and I changed my mind. Lexus is so far behind the curve when it comes to technology and it really showed after I drove the Q. I'm hoping that I won't have all the problems I've heard about here and on other forums but time will tell. I've joined the Audi forum and they are reporting very few issues so far and they are being addressed by the dealers with no issues.

Again, nothing negative to say about my GX, it's been a great vehicle and I'll be sad to see it go but it's time.
Old 07-29-16, 05:28 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Prestige Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assist Package
Ink Blue Mettalic
Nougat Brown Inferior

I love my current GX and if it weren't for some work related issues taking place in about 4 years I wouldn't even be considering selling it but it. I was ready to order a 2017 GX and had it all spec'd out and then I drove a Q7 and I changed my mind. Lexus is so far behind the curve when it comes to technology and it really showed after I drove the Q. I'm hoping that I won't have all the problems I've heard about here and on other forums but time will tell. I've joined the Audi forum and they are reporting very few issues so far and they are being addressed by the dealers with no issues.

Again, nothing negative to say about my GX, it's been a great vehicle and I'll be sad to see it go but it's time.
Congrats. I had a 2015 A7 then traded it for a 2016 (long story). The 2016 now has over 13,000 miles on it. No problems with either one of them and I really like it. A close friend is on his second S8 and not a single problem with either of them also. The engine in the Q7 is identical to the one in my A7 and it is a great engine.
Old 07-29-16, 06:26 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Congrats. I had a 2015 A7 then traded it for a 2016 (long story). The 2016 now has over 13,000 miles on it. No problems with either one of them and I really like it. A close friend is on his second S8 and not a single problem with either of them also. The engine in the Q7 is identical to the one in my A7 and it is a great engine.
Thank You, I'm excited but the wait is killing me, I ordered it on 07/07 and build is pushed out to October, it's going to be a long wait!
Old 07-29-16, 08:54 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Prestige Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assist Package
Ink Blue Mettalic
Nougat Brown Inferior

No flames, only envy! Congrats. The radio/climate control screen is becoming a deal breaker for me, I'm seriously happy I leased this thing because I really can't decide if I want to keep it over the infotainment system. Anyways, the Audi is beautiful, enjoy!
Old 07-29-16, 10:42 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

For us one of the selling point of the GX was the cargo hatch opening sideways. We love it especially when you unload cargo in the garage where the van's hatch actually hits the bottom of the garage door. Cargo space is indeed limited but you can always add a roof carrier or hitch tray.
Old 07-29-16, 07:23 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

There are so many options out there to replace your odyssey. If I was in your position and from what you have described, I would definitively pick the 2017 MDX or 2017 Q7,

I am looking for a SUV that could replace my Sienna as well. But I'm also looking towards more for Off-Roading with towing in mind. So the choices are GX460, Landrover LR4, or a 4Runner. None of the SUV's you mentioned are capable of heavy towing or have enough ground clearance for off roading. But they are a perfect street use vehicle.

But you can't beat Lexus quality and reliability. The new Q7 might though...
Old 07-30-16, 12:58 AM
Fadi
10th Gear

The main reason I bought the GX was because of the Crawl Control option, in UAE such option is only available in GX and LX. I don't mind the back door, however the 3rd seat is very tight.
Old 08-02-16, 09:22 PM
NoBoDawg
Driver School Candidate

Prestige Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assist Package
Ink Blue Mettalic
Nougat Brown Inferior

Wow! My mind is blown....you want to get rid of your incredibly reliable & capable Lexus for a (gulp) unproven Audi crossover?!? WTH??? To each his own I guess but to me the old q7 looks far better than the new redesign. The new one looks like an awkward tall wagon. Whatever you do get the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it for awhile. While Audi has leaped up a bit in reliability, the Brand in general is a maintenance nightmare. Good luck!
Old 08-03-16, 04:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Where is the OP
Congrats Eppieguy and I understand why you decided to move on. I am looking forward to the 2018 GX and always planed on keeping my GX for many years. Hopefully Lexus will offer a GX with better technology along with more power.
Old 08-03-16, 05:51 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by tecman
Where is the OP
Congrats Eppieguy and I understand why you decided to move on. I am looking forward to the 2018 GX and always planed on keeping my GX for many years. Hopefully Lexus will offer a GX with better technology along with more power.
Thanks, the wait is driving me nuts since I sold my GX yesterday. I sold it to a member here through my for sale posting in the members classifieds. Maybe he will post up pictures, he sent me a picture of it home with a bow on it for his wife, pretty cool but i was sad to see it in somebody else's driveway. Oh well, the wait continues.

Quick Reply: Question for current owners.... Should I do it??