GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Not a car guy, but I have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 05:10 PM
chuck1022
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not a car guy, but I have a question.

I drove a 2015 GX and it felt a little sluggish to me. Absolutely loved how smooth it was, how quiet...really loved it...just felt like it needed a little more oooooomph. That being said, the LS460 has the same motor right??? But it is more powerful in HP and torque. Does it have different internals or is that a computer programming thing. Just wondering
Old 07-26-16, 02:19 PM
Waymok
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck1022
I drove a 2015 GX and it felt a little sluggish to me. Absolutely loved how smooth it was, how quiet...really loved it...just felt like it needed a little more oooooomph. That being said, the LS460 has the same motor right??? But it is more powerful in HP and torque. Does it have different internals or is that a computer programming thing. Just wondering
Hey Chuck, even though the two engines are both 4.6L, the focus of the two engines are different. The GX is more for the torque and the towing capacity, while the LS is more sports oriented. Even the 8 speed transmission will make a huge difference of the acceleration and all. Like how the ES and the GS are different. Both at 3.5L, but GS has like 311HP this year and ES still only at 270ish hp.
Old 07-26-16, 05:00 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

GX is rated to use Premium Fuel, will run on Regular but retards the ignition timing
to protect from pre-ignition. Try a (full) tank of 91-93 and let her rip.
Old 07-26-16, 05:02 PM
dadc4s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck, part of this is the throttle tip in. The pedal travel is very long on the GX, a desirable trait in an off-road capable vehicle as it allows subtle and controlled variation in throttle. On the road, this adds to the sense that the car is slow, you have to really push that pedal to make her go! Go ahead, push the pedal and you will see you have all the power you need. You could also push the shifter into the sport mode which holds gears longer and makes the car feel faster while chugging down the premium fuel.
Old 07-26-16, 06:39 PM
chuck1022
Driver

Originally Posted by dadc4s
Chuck, part of this is the throttle tip in. The pedal travel is very long on the GX, a desirable trait in an off-road capable vehicle as it allows subtle and controlled variation in throttle. On the road, this adds to the sense that the car is slow, you have to really push that pedal to make her go! Go ahead, push the pedal and you will see you have all the power you need. You could also push the shifter into the sport mode which holds gears longer and makes the car feel faster while chugging down the premium fuel.
makes sense. I was just thinking if its the same motor.......why wouldnt the gx have the same hp....it is probably heavier. I will have to drive it again!!
Old 07-26-16, 06:46 PM
dadc4s
Driver School Candidate

makes sense. I was just thinking if its the same motor.......why wouldnt the gx have the same hp....it is probably heavier. I will have to drive it again!!
It is NOT the same motor. It has the same displacement but the GX makes 301 hp while making much more torque. It is designed for towing and other truck like things. It also has a 6 speed transmission while the LS has an 8 speed transmission. The GX also weight about 5000lbs, much heavier than the LS. Really apples and oranges. The GX goes 0-60 in 7.3 seconds. That’s plenty fast. It will cruise at 80mph all day. What more do you want from a truck?
Old 07-26-16, 10:51 PM
chuck1022
Driver

It is NOT the same motor. It has the same displacement but the GX makes 301 hp while making much more torque. It is designed for towing and other truck like things. It also has a 6 speed transmission while the LS has an 8 speed transmission. The GX also weight about 5000lbs, much heavier than the LS. Really apples and oranges. The GX goes 0-60 in 7.3 seconds. That’s plenty fast. It will cruise at 80mph all day. What more do you want from a truck?
I want it to drive like a car, perform like a truck when needed, never break down, and get prius-like mileage....did i miss anything?
Old 07-27-16, 04:45 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I want it to drive like a car, perform like a truck when needed, never break down, and get prius-like mileage....did i miss anything?
you want a RR minus the never break down issue.
Wait for next generation of lexus Suvs. Anticipating more power, better handling and fuel with bi turbo engines on the horizon
Old 07-27-16, 05:52 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Buy an Aud Q7 if you want more power. It will run off and leave a GX and get as good or better mileage (rated higher). Had the SUV been for me that is what I would have bought for about the same money. But my wife is not the speed junkie I am. And yes, the LS and GX engines are WAY different.
Old 07-27-16, 12:06 PM
jonathan00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aye bro if u ever looking to buy some wheels go visit this website called suicidemotorsports they beat anyone's price on wheels and if u ever have a question on ur car they will be more then happy to help you out!
Old 07-27-16, 02:30 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, as others mentioned already, LS has substantially more power.

I drove my dad's Merc SL550 the other day, similar power and weight to an LS, and it felt like a sportscar compared to the GX.
Old 07-27-16, 06:24 PM
dadc4s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Buy an Aud Q7 if you want more power. It will run off and leave a GX and get as good or better mileage (rated higher). Had the SUV been for me that is what I would have bought for about the same money. But my wife is not the speed junkie I am. And yes, the LS and GX engines are WAY different.
The Q7 is faster because it is lighter. It is NOT a truck. It is a unibody and it can’t tow very much, or match the GX off road. The GX is a very rare and perhaps endangered species, a real body on frame SUV with all the weight, strength and durability that delivers. Its a 5000lbs leather-lined anvil for the road. As a result, it’s more clumsy, somewhat slower (thought not slow) and less nimble than the cross-over vehicles sold by others. The only real competitors are the GM Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade trio or the Lincoln Navigator. Those of us who love the GX love it for what it is and I am already mourning what I feel is its imminent sacrifice on the altar of fuel efficiency and “packaging”.
Old 07-27-16, 07:29 PM
jjscsix
Racer

The Q7 is faster because it is lighter. It is NOT a truck. It is a unibody and it can’t tow very much, or match the GX off road. The GX is a very rare and perhaps endangered species, a real body on frame SUV with all the weight, strength and durability that delivers. Its a 5000lbs leather-lined anvil for the road. As a result, it’s more clumsy, somewhat slower (thought not slow) and less nimble than the cross-over vehicles sold by others. The only real competitors are the GM Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade trio or the Lincoln Navigator. Those of us who love the GX love it for what it is and I am already mourning what I feel is its imminent sacrifice on the altar of fuel efficiency and “packaging”.
i agree with every thing you say...almost. The GX is slow by many of our standards. And I get that the Q7 is not truck based, but the truth is that most GX buyers could care less about whether it's truck based or not, and most probably have no idea that it is truck based. By far, most GX drivers are women who drive them around town.
Old 07-27-16, 09:15 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
i agree with every thing you say...almost. The GX is slow by many of our standards. And I get that the Q7 is not truck based, but the truth is that most GX buyers could care less about whether it's truck based or not, and most probably have no idea that it is truck based. By far, most GX drivers are women who drive them around town.
I disagree that the GX is slow... 301 horsepower is a lot, and it will cruise in triple digits without breaking a sweat.

Also, while most buyers have no idea what body-on-frame means, they appreciate the higher ride height and seating position and the feeling of a heavier, more solid vehicle. Otherwise all of the women would have purchased an RX or a crossover from another brand.
Old 07-28-16, 06:01 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
I disagree that the GX is slow... 301 horsepower is a lot, and it will cruise in triple digits without breaking a sweat.

Also, while most buyers have no idea what body-on-frame means, they appreciate the higher ride height and seating position and the feeling of a heavier, more solid vehicle. Otherwise all of the women would have purchased an RX or a crossover from another brand.
Fast/slow is all relative, and if you think it is not slow then I applaud you for your ability to be happy with it. I'm 63 years old and have owned 63 (I think) four wheel vehicles. I've drag raced cars, road raced motorcycles, and owned "Cigarette" boats with twin 500 hp engines. So yes, I have a different perspective on fast/slow than many folks. It's all good.

And I agree with your last statement completely. Those are the reasons why my wife loves her GX.

Last edited by jjscsix; 07-28-16 at 06:35 AM.