GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

60,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 06:33 PM
raky
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60,000 mile service

Hey guys, I am coming up on needing to do my 60,000 mile service within the next month. I just priced it online thru Sterling McCall Lexus here in Houston and it is showing up as $930 (I have a coupon for 15% off thru using Costco which should bring the cost down to just under $800 before tax).

That said, I am looking thru the services and I am not sure if some of the items are necessary - my initial thought was just to do an oil change, engine/cabin filter change, brake fluid change, and transmission flush.

The 60,000 mile service includes all of the above except the transmission flush plus: replacing active height control fluid (I have the premium model but didn't know this was something that needed to be done), air condition fluid replacement, and inspecting a bunch of other stuff.

What are you guys paying for this service and are the suggested items (from the Sterling McCall website necessary)? I figured I could get away with doing what I planned to do for around $500 if I replaced both engine and cabin filters myself.
Old 07-19-16, 08:00 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

This is what is factory recommended at 60k:

Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20)
Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required
Replace active height control system fluid (if equipped)
Replace brake fluid
Replace air conditioner filter
Replace engine air filter
Replace smart key battery (1)
Lubricate drive shaft, re-torque nuts and bolts

Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transfer case
Inspect transmission fluid
Measure thickness and runout of brake rotors
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Reset maintenance reminder light
Road test vehicle
Most of it is inspections.

Filters and key fob batteries are all pretty cheap.
Tire rotation is cheap/free.
Dealer charges about $90 to do an oil change.

So beyond those things, you're paying about $600, $700 for them to replace your height control fluid and brake fluid, and allegedly lube your drive shaft and retorque nuts and bolts.
Old 07-19-16, 06:52 PM
raky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
This is what is factory recommended at 60k:

Most of it is inspections.

Filters and key fob batteries are all pretty cheap.
Tire rotation is cheap/free.
Dealer charges about $90 to do an oil change.

So beyond those things, you're paying about $600, $700 for them to replace your height control fluid and brake fluid, and allegedly lube your drive shaft and retorque nuts and bolts.
Thanks, I think I am leaning towards my initial plan of just doing a transmission fluid exchange, oil change, replacing filters (myself), height control fluid, and brake fluid exchange. I would rather pay for fluid replacements rather than visual inspections. I figure if I replace a different fluid every oil change I should be good.
Old 07-20-16, 08:22 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by raky
Thanks, I think I am leaning towards my initial plan of just doing a transmission fluid exchange, oil change, replacing filters (myself), height control fluid, and brake fluid exchange. I would rather pay for fluid replacements rather than visual inspections. I figure if I replace a different fluid every oil change I should be good.
At what mileage do we need to replace differential fluid? I think it should be done more frequently than transmission oil change. I would appreciate input on this.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-20-16, 06:43 PM
raky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sfuad
At what mileage do we need to replace differential fluid? I think it should be done more frequently than transmission oil change. I would appreciate input on this.

Thanks in advance
Not sure but my plan is to do it at 67k miles. My thought between that and the transmission flush is that I want to get the fluids swapped out while under power train warranty so that I can live with it a while. I figure this way if any issues come up I can still get it covered under warranty or if my warranty is expired I may be able to get goodwill from Lexus because they will have maintenance records.
Old 07-21-16, 02:06 PM
raky
Driver School Candidate

As an FYI to those watching this thread, I called another shop here that specializes in Lexus (Clear Choice Lexus - owned and staffed by former Lexus employees). They are quoting $639 for the 60,000 mile service. They said the active height control fluid is part of a sealed system and doesn't need to be changed. Can anyone validate?

They said that as part of the service they change both the front and rear differential oil, oil change, brake fluid change, tire rotation, both cabin and engine filters, replace wiper blades, and inspection. They also said to not do a transmission flush, rather do a transmission fluid exchange at 100,000 miles which touches 4 quarts of fluid. They do the differential oil replacement which the Lexus dealership does not include in their 60k mile service.

Any advice before I make my decision on what to service? I plan on using this independent shop. I don't need the wipers done as I just swapped mine out, they also have a coupon available, so my out the door cost would be just at $600.

Last edited by raky; 07-22-16 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 12:47 PM
pghrob68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but since I have the information firsthand thought I would share it.
Yesterday I was quoted $592 for the 60K mile service at the same Sterling McCall Lexus dealership as the OP.
Old 10-29-18, 01:41 PM
CreamyGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this-

Im about due for my 60k service. Lexus dealer told me I needed new brakes. I somewhat believe them since they are squeaking when cold.

I plan on taking it to a toyota dealer that has accepted me in the past. Do you think if I purchase the new rear brakes- they will cover the brake fluid flush as a part of the replacement service?

Is fluid change standard on new brake jobs?
Old 10-29-18, 03:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,560 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I'm gonna say not likely at all on the flush as part of their brake service and generally not standard on brake jobs most dealers perform. IMO: They would want to charge for this as an additional service.

Originally Posted by CreamyGX
Bumping this-

Im about due for my 60k service. Lexus dealer told me I needed new brakes. I somewhat believe them since they are squeaking when cold.

I plan on taking it to a toyota dealer that has accepted me in the past. Do you think if I purchase the new rear brakes- they will cover the brake fluid flush as a part of the replacement service?

Old 10-29-18, 05:50 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CreamyGX
Bumping this-

In my expirience, brake fluid change/flush isn't standard on brake pad replacement. Pads lasting 60k is pretty good. My rears lasted 3 years/30k miles and my fronts will be due before too long and i'm at 37k miles going into my 4th year of ownership ( we bought it new in 2015).
Old 10-31-18, 07:24 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

There are still 50% of brake pads left on my 2014 GX460 with 50k miles.
The original bridge stone tires lasted 36k miles.
Old 10-31-18, 10:19 AM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What's a typical price for an oil change? I know that V8 takes more oil than my previous 6 cylinder and with full synthetic my guess it isn't cheap.

Most dealers charge $120 for full synthetic on a V6.

Thanks
Old 10-31-18, 10:42 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

My local Lexus dealer advertised $140 for GX oil change with synthetic oil.
Toyota dealer does it for $70.
Old 10-31-18, 10:56 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
My local Lexus dealer advertised $140 for GX oil change with synthetic oil.
Toyota dealer does it for $70.
about the same from my dealer so I do it myself.

I'm at 38k and still on OEM brakes but new tires since 31k miles.
Old 11-01-18, 05:44 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going to have to look more into Clear Choice as an option for some services. I have received flyers in the mail from them over the years but honestly have never even looked at them and just tossed them out.

Quick Reply: 60,000 mile service