GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Alignment questions & concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 10:08 PM
BigRick82
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
FYI, the GX460 is a solid rear axle. You can't align a solid rear axle. Only the front can be aligned. If you have a printout, it should tell you the optimal spec and the current spec.
That's not true. You still have to make sure the axle is straight itself... You wouldn't want to be driving down the road sideways.. I hate seeing the side of a car from the back going down the road lol. Either the rear is not straight or frame damage. I hate this on 18 wheeler trailers too!
Old 12-05-16, 10:18 PM
BigRick82
Rookie

Wow, loosening the sub frame seems extremely excessive. Especially considering there isn't that much play in it. I've removed the sub frame on the front of my G35 a few times and never had issues with getting the car aligned afterwards, even with a lot of suspension mods. This seems a bit unlikely unless you saw them actually loosening it and hammering it (the engine sits on it, it doesn't just move that easily).

I'm curious what types of air pressure the guys that are having alignment issues run? I run about 38PSI at all 4 corners and have no alignment issues. I've had my GX nearly a foot in the air once, bottomed out several times off roading and even bumped rocks with the wheels. When I drive on the freeway, it has no noticeable pull and even tire wear at the 12k mark.

Do the people with excessive pulling have air suspension? I use to do alignments and found air suspension was always much more difficult to get to track straight vs spring suspension.
Yes the subframe is loosened and does move easily with engine on it. Exactly how it's done. The subframe is made to be aligned. On a side note just got our GX back from service and complained about this. Told me they could charge me to align it and I told them no thank you I gave them enough money when I had to by some new tires last service cause the alignment was bad. That the subframe needed to be aligned. I didn't think they would do anything but low and behold she's driving straight afterwards. Guess that's why they kept it an extra day. I love my Lexus dealer though (Westside Lexus), they always take good care of me. They'll drive 45 minutes to my house, drop off a loaner and bring my car back later, or the next day for regular service. All free Gotta love that free maintenance. I've never seen a service department so busy. Always 20+ cars dropping off at the same time as me.
Old 12-08-16, 02:53 PM
sblanker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so now I'm confused. Either the rear can be aligned or it can't. If it can't, then the tire place ripped me off by charging $49.00 and doing nothing.
Old 12-08-16, 03:23 PM
BigRick82
Rookie

They're doing a basic 4 wheel alignment. Getting the subframe aligned usually is done at a frame shop. It's an expensive machine with lot of lasers to accurately check the alignment of the wheels to the frame of the vehicle. Its more tedious and takes longer to be done but your alignment will never be better. With a basic 4 wheel alignment you can only move so many suspension components to a certain degree. Those are attached to the subframe, so if you align that first, it gives you more room to correctly align the suspension.
The following users liked this post:
Wooslexus (01-09-17)
Old 12-12-16, 10:06 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRick82
That's not true. You still have to make sure the axle is straight itself... You wouldn't want to be driving down the road sideways.. I hate seeing the side of a car from the back going down the road lol. Either the rear is not straight or frame damage. I hate this on 18 wheeler trailers too!
I'm curious, do you know where the alignment points are for the rear axle? You seem to be putting a lot of information out that seems awful incorrect. Have you done a lot of alignments in your day?
Old 12-12-16, 10:12 AM
BigRick82
Rookie

I'm curious, do you know where the alignment points are for the rear axle? You seem to be putting a lot of information out that seems awful incorrect. Have you done a lot of alignments in your day?
Maybe... I do hold a world record in drag racing and that's on stock suspension, that might count a little. But ehhh, each to their own.
Old 12-12-16, 09:09 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

So currently there is no definite solution to this problem? I took it in for a diagnoses/fix as the vehicle tends to pull to the right and the steering wasn't centered. I got the vehicle back saying that it was out of spec, but was supposedly fixed and now within the proper alignment specs. I should have asked for a before and after print out because the vehicle still does not seem to be tracking straight at all. It still pulls to the right no matter where I drive (local roads or 4-6 lane highways). I'm planning on having them look at it again during the 5k service.

For some more reference:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-to-right.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...fts-right.html

Last edited by ObsidianBl; 12-12-16 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-12-16, 09:43 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

One more post and I'm done for the night.

I remember reading about alignment or drivability issues on the 5th gen 4runners back around when they were released. Can someone who is familiar with the alignment process take a look and see if this is also applicable to our vehicles? Specific attention to setting the casters to the maximum positive.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...tml#post778797
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...tml#post818058
Old 12-15-16, 11:36 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRick82
Maybe... I do hold a world record in drag racing and that's on stock suspension, that might count a little. But ehhh, each to their own.
Curious how a world record and the alignment on your GX460 correlate and what the world record has to do with the alignment points for the rear axle? I'm not trying to argue with a world record holder, just trying to learn so that when I put my GX on the rack to do an alignment, I know where the rear axle points are. Thanks for your help BigRick82
The following users liked this post:
BigRick82 (12-15-16)
Old 12-15-16, 12:48 PM
BigRick82
Rookie

On the Solid Rear Axle you cannot adjust anything other than making sure the rear end is square and centered. If it is not then offset bushings would have to be used.
Old 12-19-16, 07:31 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont think you can align a solid axle, but I can report the same issue issue with the steering. Tracks well after service/tire rotation and goes back shortly after which can gets irritating, most especially with a car that easily agitated by cross winds. But you cannot beat how tough it is offroad... i guess its a simple tradeoff as this car takes beating like no other on the open dunes.
Old 12-31-16, 04:46 PM
Brlewis81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a '17 GX last night, drove it this morning and immediately noticed it pulling to the right. I have to hold the steering wheel to the left of center to make the truck track straight. Going into the dealer on Monday to see about correcting it, after reading this thread I'm not confident.
Old 01-01-17, 08:32 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brlewis81
Just picked up a '17 GX last night, drove it this morning and immediately noticed it pulling to the right. I have to hold the steering wheel to the left of center to make the truck track straight. Going into the dealer on Monday to see about correcting it, after reading this thread I'm not confident.
Let us know what your dealer is able to do. I took mine in and they checked it over, said the alignment was within spec. They also said this was a common complaint on GXs (and LXs) and were hesitant to try changing the alignment outside of the factory spec - as it made other customer vehicles issue worse. I will have them check it again during the 5K service.
Old 01-01-17, 09:27 AM
TXS3
Driver School Candidate

another owner stated of "cross" rotation of the tires...does that meant the cross with the back then go for an alignment?
I had mine done by the dealer, now it still pulls to the right.
also, a rec. of 38 psi on all tires?
Old 05-10-17, 03:36 PM
abudiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I check mine GX460 and it is Lower! See attachment

My Gx460 also pull to the right, when alignment adjusted more to the left to compensate the right pulling it cause the tire to feather and make a lot of road noise.
After long research for Frame and Suspension damage shop for Lexus I stumble on this shop below.
Check for car height we found this car lean to right because of weak spring its a TSB by Lexus

For NY City GX460 owner want to get alignment, check SAI and IA also car height please go this place. Its real Lexus certified frame and alignment beside Lexus Dealer to get second opinion.
Owner is Marty and he knows about Lexus hand down
Alignment Pro is Joe

https://www.yelp.com/biz/laser-frame...r-new-rochelle

I will get the TSB fix tomorrow appointment

See picture my GX460 Right Spring is lower
Attached Thumbnails Alignment questions & concerns-gx460-right-lower-2.jpg  

Last edited by abudiman; 05-10-17 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Alignment questions & concerns