GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX-460 Door Actuator Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-21, 08:14 AM
BigLClub
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door Lock Actuator Motor

I found out this is a common problem with various Toyota products.
The rear door and both back door lock would not actuate when using the door switch or remote.
Researched and found you can buy re-manned/rebuilt actuators.

The cheapest I could find the actuators were ~ $30-35 with shipping. But after seeing the motor replacement vids:

You can follow GX-Bob's how to for removing the door panels. Then this video will give you a basic idea of replacing the motor.
It's actually easier on the newer design for the 460. Buuuut you have to use a set of smaller screwdrivers/picks to get the actuator apart.
I was never able to get the cover fully off. But open enough to swap out the motor/worm gear.
You can buy the motors for a very reasonable price: ($5/each)
Amazon Amazon
I have done this 3 times now and it works perfectly!

So I decided to investigate the motor failures.
The motor has little tabs that are bent down. I wasn't able to get them popped up and pull the motor apart.
So I used a dremel fiber cutting wheel and nicked the tabs enough to get the motor apart.
I did this twice and was able to clean up the motors and get them working again.
On the the 3rd time I tested the motor before with a battery charger and some test leads. The motor kinda worked in one direction. And not in the other. Which is exactly how the lock mal-functioned.
NOTE: THERE WAS NO MECHANICAL ISSUES(cables/gears/levers binding) with the doors-locks.

I took the motor apart and it was in the same condition:

Notice the carbon buildup.

More carbon.

Blew the majority of the carbon with compressed air. You can actually pull the stator assembly out and clean it further.

Took some 400g sandpaper and lightly cleaned up the commutator/brushes. Took about a couple of minutes to get the carbon off.

Reassembled and tested. Works great in both directions. Where the motor had no "jump" to it when actuated. Now the motor has some pull-torque to it. I still installed the new motor in the actuator. But I now have backups in case and a better understanding of motor failure.
This is for someone who is in a jam and needs to get the motor working again.
So either the motor needs to have some vent holes in it? Or Toyota needs to switch to a brushless motor ($$)

Cheers
MJ

Last edited by BigLClub; 05-31-21 at 11:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BigLClub:
Acrad (05-28-21), hzhao (05-28-21), tntcandy (11-26-23)
Old 07-13-21, 11:25 AM
gc9538
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door unlock opening windows

Just replaced the drivers side door lock actuator with a reconditioned unit purchased on eBay. While installing as I plugged in the harness to the actuator the windows and sunroof opened as if I were holding down the unlock button on the remote. Thought maybe it was just a reconnect thing. Finished the work with the door panel back on and now find the windows and sunroof open every time you unlock the doors. Tried disconnecting the battery to allow the system to reset but still doing the same thing.
Any ideas? Bad actuator or is there a system setting I can change? Thank you as always
Old 07-13-21, 02:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I'm inclined to say you got a bad actuator. I'd let that vendor know right away. If it is the one I am thinking of they can ship out fairly quickly.

Sounds like whatever microswitch inside that is used for the unlock is sticking and vehicle thinks you are holding the key in unlock to roll down windows and open sunroof.

Actuators Plus... they offer a lifetime warranty if you send your core back

Last edited by Acrad; 02-06-22 at 01:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
nuclearn8 (07-14-21), ROSCOGX470 (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21, 07:50 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
I'm inclined to say you got a bad actuator. I'd let that vendor know right away. If it is the one I am thinking of they can ship out fairly quickly.

Sounds like whatever microswitch inside that is used for the unlock is sticking and vehicle thinks you are holding the key in unlock to roll down windows and open sunroof.
Agree with Acrad, contact is sticking
Old 07-17-21, 08:58 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi gc9538 that is actually a mis-aligned key rod installation that can easily be corrected.
Your vehicle has LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) and a little known trick when set to default is that you can insert your key into the door and turn to Unlock (same as holding down the unlock button on your key FOB), and after a couple seconds all the windows will roll down.
Right now you do not have your key lock rod inserted into the actuator correctly. The vehicle thinks your have the key inserted into the door and turned to the Unlock position.

The problem relates to Drivers Door actuator - the circular gear in the bottom corner of the actuator with the cross notches in it. There is a rod with a cross end coming from your door key system that needs to align and fit into this gear on the actuator. Your old actuator is rotated exactly to the position of your rod and fits in perfectly, the new actuator needs to be adjusted in place. If you are able I would like to try a quick troubleshooting method to see if we can get this corrected. Usually during installation I have to remove the 3 torx screws on the latch. Holding the actuator in one hand I insert the key into the lock and rotate back and forth a few times. When it seats you will hear a click. Other times I have to remove the connecting rod to get it to align properly.
Here is a good instructional video detailing swapping a door lock actuator.

At the 11:35 time mark the installer is having trouble connecting that rod so he has to pull the rod out and shows how to realign it.

You actually don't even need to remove the door panel again to fix it. Just follow the steps in the video at the 11.35 time and you can correct the alignment of the circular gear on the actuator. Just remove the lock cylinder/rod insert a flat head screwdriver through the hole into the actuator gear and turn to straighten, then re-insert the lock cylinder/rod.

Regards,
Actuators Plus

The following 5 users liked this post by vr4/sc400:
Acrad (07-17-21), bbqsoup (07-21-21), DBLex1 (07-19-21), gc9538 (07-19-21), SteveInCal (07-19-21)
Old 07-19-21, 05:58 PM
gc9538
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you and yes it was the key rod was not aligned properly. Took the rubber stopper out up higher on the latch end of the door which exposed the screw that binds the lock and pin on the outside. Simply pulling it out and reinstalling it properly solved the problem. Love this forum and all the help offered by other Lexus Owners.
The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (07-19-21)
Old 07-25-23, 03:55 PM
WiscoShiby
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusion

I replaced the driver side door actuator. Everything seems to work fine. The door locks when I put it in drive and unlocks fine when I put it in park. But if I lock the door manually - with the key fob, door handle or power lock switch, the door will not open. This is making my brain hurt. The locking mechanism works if the car decides to lock the door….but when I do it the door doesn’t open. I can’t manually key into it either. I have to pop the top of the door panel off and reach inside and open it that way. If the lock didn’t work at all I’d assume it’s just a bad actuator but now I have no idea. Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-23, 04:22 PM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WiscoShiby
I replaced the driver side door actuator. Everything seems to work fine. The door locks when I put it in drive and unlocks fine when I put it in park. But if I lock the door manually - with the key fob, door handle or power lock switch, the door will not open. This is making my brain hurt. The locking mechanism works if the car decides to lock the door….but when I do it the door doesn’t open. I can’t manually key into it either. I have to pop the top of the door panel off and reach inside and open it that way. If the lock didn’t work at all I’d assume it’s just a bad actuator but now I have no idea. Any thoughts?
do you have any photos of the install?

sounds like the mechanical metal wire connector isn’t hooked up correctly. Share photos if you can….
Old 07-25-23, 05:17 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by emg2919
do you have any photos of the install?

sounds like the mechanical metal wire connector isn’t hooked up correctly. Share photos if you can….
yep. Something got messed up in the process. Would make sure it’s all wired up correctly.
Old 11-25-23, 02:40 PM
creektrail
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, my driver door locked intermittently and now quit altogether. 2018 gx460. replaced the actuator today and nothing changed. I thought the actuator was an easy fix so I didn't pay close attention to all the symptoms. The only way you can lock the driver door is by manually locking from the inside or locking unlocking with the key. Pushing the electric lock button from either front door does not lock or unlock the door. Any Ideas. I'm now stumped. All other doors lock and unlock with lock buttons or the key fob.
Old 11-25-23, 04:03 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by creektrail
So, my driver door locked intermittently and now quit altogether. 2018 gx460. replaced the actuator today and nothing changed. I thought the actuator was an easy fix so I didn't pay close attention to all the symptoms. The only way you can lock the driver door is by manually locking from the inside or locking unlocking with the key. Pushing the electric lock button from either front door does not lock or unlock the door. Any Ideas. I'm now stumped. All other doors lock and unlock with lock buttons or the key fob.
this would usually fix the problem. Any pics of your install / replacement?
Old 11-25-23, 05:00 PM
John00
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 275 Posts

sounds like the actuator is not working. understand this does not mean that the actuator is bad. you could have a wire harness issue.
Old 11-25-23, 07:31 PM
creektrail
4th Gear

I followed the instructions on the youtube video to the T Ordered the actuator from ebay took out the key lock plugged everything back in. Is there any way to test the actuator? The original that I took out. It was pretty depressing changing everything out and having the same issue.
Old 11-25-23, 07:34 PM
creektrail
4th Gear

No, but I followed the video with the older guy in it. Step by step. made sure everything was plugged in.
Old 11-25-23, 07:45 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,561 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Do you have a code reader like OBD Link or Techstream to check for codes throughout vehicle?