GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 06:53 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall

Looks like Toyota has expanded the airbag recall to cover the 2010-2011 GX depending on location. As of right now it only includes GX models in "Zone A", which is mostly the south and southeast, islands, and also California.

This is only the first phase and it will apparently expand to other regions later.

http://www.toyota.com/recall/takata#...kataSafetyInfo

It's odd that they have Wisconsin and Michigan as low humidity states. Perhaps the rest of the state is low humidity but those along the shores of Lake Michigan likely experience significantly higher humidity than those inland.
Old 05-24-16, 07:09 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Dayum, brah.

"The subject vehicles are equipped with front passenger airbag inflators produced by Takata. According to Takata, the propellant in these inflators may degrade after prolonged exposure to high absolute humidity and fluctuating high temperatures. Degraded propellant can cause inflator rupture during airbag deployment. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, striking the vehicle occupants, and result in serious injury or death.Remedy
Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this condition and will provide additional information as it becomes available. The remedy, when available, will consist of the replacement of the airbag inflator or the airbag assembly, depending on the vehicle model."

Here's a link to the FAQ:
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...2gg2hlofaq.pdf

Supposedly it's only the front passenger airbag. So it should be a simple swap. At first I was a little irritated they were going to have to tear the whole car apart and replace all the airbags.

Now if they'd only recall the secondary air pumps. :P
Old 05-24-16, 08:33 AM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

huge thumbs up for posting this - will be looking for my recall notice soon. scary to think i'm somewhat playing russian roulette every time i get behind the wheel.
Old 05-24-16, 08:48 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by daman7676

huge thumbs up for posting this - will be looking for my recall notice soon. scary to think i'm somewhat playing russian roulette every time i get behind the wheel.
Only your passenger is playing roulette.
Old 05-24-16, 08:49 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...llion-vehicles

Largest recall in US auto safety history.
Old 05-27-16, 05:45 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

To check if any of your vehicles are affected, see the link below.

http://www.safercar.gov/checkforrecalls
Old 05-27-16, 09:15 AM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Only your passenger is playing roulette.
My bad - now who wants to ride shotgun?
Old 06-13-16, 09:33 PM
BA777
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GX460 Airbag Recall

I am disappointed by this. Can't believe Lexus is still installing the Takata airbag inflator into MY2016 GX and 4Runner... What were they thinking.

Luckily it affects the front passenger airbag only. See Toyota press room below for the details.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...rticle_id=5621
Old 06-13-16, 09:49 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's another thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ag-recall.html

It's because they likely don't have another option and they aren't the only manufacturer doing it. None of the 2016 (or 2015 models for that matter) pose any danger at this point. The inflators only fail after a certain amount of time, which varies by climate, so they've decided that it's better for them as a company to continue to sell the vehicles with the intention of later recalling them when they can be fixed. Otherwise, they'd likely end up with a stop sale while they figure out if they can switch to a compatible supplier without redesigning anything, especially this late in the generation.

It's unfortunate but it's what happens when you have a supplier like Takata with such a large chunk of the market. Their issue spreads across nearly the entire industry. Just as ridiculous as new cars being sold with the inflators is the fact that some people who have already had their airbags replaced under the recall will need to have their cars recalled again in the future.

CNN Report on other manufacturers (Toyota, Chrysler, VW, Mitsubishi): http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/01/news...call-new-cars/

Last edited by bd5400; 06-13-16 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-14-16, 05:14 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i wonder about earlier models.
Old 06-14-16, 09:54 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All businesses are alike nowadays.

We all live under the globalized form of business which just like any other car companies out there, Toyota/Lexus seldom make their own spare parts anymore. They would rather pay other companies to make parts for them, to reduce costs. Over the years, you could just tell the quality of a finished product is becoming worse. Apple for example, since Steve Jobs died, all they do now is recycle their products - improvements do not count as innovation!

A good example is the brake related issue a few years back with Toyota/Lexus when they have to pay millions to settle death related accidents, not to mention the fines given to the Federal Government. Another example I personally am aware of to this day was how much more serene my 1986 Toyota Celica/Corolla when compared to my 2010 Prius. I must have spent $2k-plus in insulation and tire replacement costs when I tried to reduce road noise, In the end, I just got really irritated and traded the Prius with a "Nissan Leaf" after an extensive test drive on rough surfaces. It is when I realized I got suckered by Toyota to buy a low quality product because of how quiet the leaf when driven in any road surface- not to mention the fact you could barely distinguish the brake mechanism noise and all the electric/hybrid related annoyances you hear when driving one.

Don't get me wrong, I still have my late models Lexus truck and car but I am just irritated with how all businesses cut corners to maximize profits and sometimes totally disregarding safety and comfort of drivers and passengers - not to mention the fact you have to pay almost double for a vehicle to achieve the comfort you are looking for in today's globalized economy.
Old 07-12-16, 05:51 PM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Just received my Lexus - Takata Front Passenger Airbag Inflator Recall letter today, 12-July-2016. The NHTSA Recall No. is 16V-340 and applies to 2010-2011 Lexus GX460 models among many others. The letter is a notice only at this stage and states that "Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this problem" and they'll send out another notice when the "remedy" is available. Until then the letter states "Until the remedy becomes available, we recommend that you do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat."
Old 07-12-16, 05:52 PM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Just received my Lexus - Takata Front Passenger Airbag Inflator Recall letter today, 12-July-2016. The NHTSA Recall No. is 16V-340 and applies to 2010-2011 Lexus GX460 models among many others. The letter is a notice only at this stage and states that "Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this problem" and they'll send out another notice when the "remedy" is available. Until then the letter states "Until the remedy becomes available, we recommend that you do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat."
Old 07-13-16, 06:55 PM
Webberster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got that same "Preliminary" recall notice for our 2010 ES350. SERIOUSLY, no occupants in the front passenger seat??? And for the next umteen months until the part is available! So I'm faced with the choice of asking my wife to ride in the backseat (over like a lead balloon) or putting her at risk. I'm wondering what others on the forum have decided to do.

Reading some of the NHTSA info they say the airbag igniters in the worst zones (our's) start going bad only after 6-9 years. Since our's just hit the front end of this window at 6 years I'm guessing the chances of an adverse effect should we have a crash are really, really low. I feel for those driving much older cars with Takatas. One young woman driving an old Acura here in Houston had a very minor accident but died from shrapnel through her jugular. It's enough to make you really uneasy.
Old 07-13-16, 09:29 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheMick
Wow!!! Are they ****ing kidding??

When my letter comes I'm dropping it off at the dealer and demanding a loaner until they replace the airbag.

Quick Reply: 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall