GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 05:35 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I read this last week about the Takata recall.. This is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable..

Takata airbag recall could take until 2023 to complete.
by Chris Isidore @CNNMoneyDecember 9, 2016: 5:06 PM ET

Federal safety regulators said it could take until 2023 before all the vehicles with recalled Takata airbags to be fixed, a full 15 years after the first car was recalled.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration took steps Friday to speed up the recall of Takata airbags at danger of exploding. But the agency overseeing the recall says the limited availability of replacement parts means the final repairs are still seven years away.

When the airbags explode, they send shrapnel into the face of drivers and occupants of the car. The agency says there have been at least 11 deaths and 180 injuries in the United States tied to the problem. It took until 2014 before the widespread nature of the problem was known.

The last cars to have safe airbags installed will be those that have already been been fixed once. Some of the airbags inflators were replaced in the early years of the recall, before the cause of the explosions or a permanent fix was known. Because the airbags become more dangerous with age, it was determined that it was safer to replace older airbags even if the new equipment would ultimately need to be replaced again.

Senior NHTSA officials said Friday that the agency is shooting to eventually fix100% of the airbags that pose a risk of exploding. Most recalls are completed by only about 70% of affected car owners, even though the repair is done at no cost to the owner.

Related: Takata settles case of woman who died 2 years after her death

The steps taken by NHTSA Friday sets new deadlines for when replacement inflators must be available to address the airbags at the greatest risk of exploding, according to the agency.

"The amended order will speed up the availability of replacement air bags," said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.

Related: Stop driving these Hondas right now, says regulator

There are 29 million cars on U.S. roadswhich have already been recalled due to with faulty airbags, and only about a quarter of those airbags have been fixed so far. Part of the problem is that many car owners don't realize their car is included in the recall. There are 34 car brands affected by the recall. Car owners can check the agency's Web site to see if their vehicle is included.

But there are 13 million more U.S. cars that will need to be recalled in the future once parts are available, bringing the total number of cars needing repairs to 42 million in the United States alone, by far a record. And there are many different inflator models that will need to be produced to give automakers the replacement parts they need. This is both the largest and most complex recall in U.S. history, according to the agency.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/09/auto...bag/index.html

Last edited by JT4; 12-15-16 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 11:13 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Had quick chat with my service guy, he's telling me they are now not expecting air bags until February 2017 (I was originally told end of December 2016). He also mentioned once they started coming in, they'd be in the single digits, meaning only a few at a time, not tens or hundreds. It's going to take forever to get the airbag replaced - starting to lose my patience.
Old 12-19-16, 08:49 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by daman7676
Had quick chat with my service guy, he's telling me they are now not expecting air bags until February 2017 (I was originally told end of December 2016). He also mentioned once they started coming in, they'd be in the single digits, meaning only a few at a time, not tens or hundreds. It's going to take forever to get the airbag replaced - starting to lose my patience.
Last month, word was at my dealer that we might be getting airbags in December/January. But it's already December now and I don't have any hope for January. I doubt the dealer really knows anything until the airbags show up. But at least February is something.

A few at a time is ok if they are coming in daily. But if they only get a half a dozen a month, it could be literally years before we get our airbags replaced.
Old 12-23-16, 03:03 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Is there a current list posted on the net that lists all models/years of affected vehicles?

I found these links online, but wonder if there is a more current list.

Lexus, Ferrari, and Acrua look to be lagging. FERRARI really?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...one-handy-list

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...call/index.htm

Last edited by chuckNX; 12-23-16 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-23-16, 04:09 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The latest article on that matter with the list of cars is dated back a week ago (12/16/16) on NY Daily News page.
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/new...icle-1.2602999
Old 12-24-16, 07:11 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like they are trying to run out the clock in hopes many of these vehicles are no longer in use. Although many new vehicles still have the very same bags, incredibly.
Old 12-24-16, 08:13 AM
lennyr89
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it known if all models of the GX say 2010-2017 are affected by Takata or did Lexus use multiple manufactures and not all airbags are affected? Having a 2016 in the northeast, I would assume that I have at least a decade before the airbags have deteriorated significantly.
Old 12-24-16, 08:31 AM
PapaLeo
Rookie

The only sure way to check if your Lexus is affected by a recall (any recall I have to mention) is to check Toyota website http://www.toyota.com/recall
Old 12-24-16, 08:33 AM
lennyr89
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The website isn't updated from my understanding as the airbags in the 2016-2017 models are not recalled yet, just potentially recalled in the future.
Old 12-24-16, 08:47 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400
You don't need to have a deal to get the airbag replaced before accepting. The airbag on a new vehicle isn't dangerous because there hasn't been enough time for the inflators to degrade. That's why they're allowed to sell the cars with the inflators to begin with. They are required to replace them later, no deal necessary, and by the time they degrade parts should be more accessible.
Are they actually replacing the airbags and all components, or just the actuators?
Old 12-24-16, 08:51 AM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Check out this link. Depends on the car model year and state that you live, the have future recall information.
http://www.toyota.com/recall/takata#...kataSafetyInfo

For 17 GX in California it says the following

A Takata Airbag Inflator Safety recall for your vehicle will be issued in approximately January 2019. You will be notified when the recall has been issued. Please update your owner information for Toyota/Scion or Lexus so that we have your current contact information.
Old 12-24-16, 09:01 AM
PapaLeo
Rookie

More information and Q/A directly from manufacturer.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...2gg2hlofaq.pdf
Old 01-30-17, 07:52 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Default When are replacement airbags coming? *Both real info & speculation welcome*

Like thousands of others, my 2011 GX has been waiting on an airbag for many months now.

At first, Lexus reps and dealer were very unwilling to even give an estimate on when replacement airbags were due to arrive, suggesting it might be near the end of the year (2016). Then, all of a sudden a few months ago, the dealer offered speculation of "November December" which was updated to "January or February" last time I renewed my loaner paperwork. The first time there was a glimmer of hope but that hope quickly faded when I realized it was just typical dealer BS. The recall notices went out in July, so it's been a half a year. The feeling I get is that nothing is even on the horizon at this point, which means that we're very well looking at a full year here. After a year, at some point I'll wonder if we'll ever get a replacement, since it would be pretty obvious that it's not a priority for Lexus.

Does anyone have any inside scoop on what's going on? Hell, has anyone gotten a new airbag? Is there anyone who has an airbag that's on its way or being installed?

Edit: It's now October of 2017 and I finally got the call to replace my airbag on 10/20/2017.

Last edited by Craigyyy; 10-02-17 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kbyer (03-05-17)
Old 01-30-17, 09:49 AM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was thinking about this exact thing this morning. I have a 2010 and have been told the same time frames you mentioned above. I wanted to do a poll and see if anyone has actually had there's replaced.

I called Lexus last week (the main customer service line) and spoke to a representative. She said they're advising customers that it's now Q1 of this year but even that is not guaranteed. So, like you said, it could be a full year before we see something. I'm really starting to get frustrated - it's making us have to re-think road trips since we can't take the GX.
Old 01-31-17, 06:06 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
After a year, at some point I'll wonder if we'll ever get a replacement, since it would be pretty obvious that it's not a priority for Lexus.
Lexus does not manufacture airbags. Their ability to replace our airbags has absolutely nothing to do with their priorities. Lexus isn't the only brand dealing with this either and many others are waiting as well, including BMW.

Quick Reply: 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall