GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cell Phone Mount for Waze?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 01:01 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Cell Phone Mount for Waze?

Hey guys, going on a road trip soon and I'd like to mount my phone so I can use waze. Wondering what everybody uses and likes. Seems like there's a million choices out there but figured I'd see what works best in the GX.

Was looking at windshield mounts, but the windshield is fairly far away. Let me know what you've got.

Thanks everybody!!
Old 05-16-16, 07:13 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Keno which mounts on the vent. It annoys me and falls off all the time.
Old 05-16-16, 07:31 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I use this for my cell phones and I love it. It does not vibrate, very sturdy, and fits all of my phones, even with the case on. I've had many holders in the past, but this is the best one (for me) so far for my android phones (Galaxy S3, LG G3, and current Galaxy S7, all with Seidio cases on). I can use them and have it charging through the bottom opening at the same time. Good luck and enjoy your summer road trip(s).

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Universal Suction Car Mount Kit for Samsung Galaxy Phones (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Universal Suction Car Mount Kit for Samsung Galaxy Phones (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 05-17-16, 01:28 AM
Kitana
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased this one and it works ok. I would like to find something better though. My phone does not fit in it very well while it's in it's case and it is a pain to take it out. I love my waze app.
Amazon.com: CelGo Universal Cell Phone Car Mount Holder for all smartphones, mobile phones, iPhone 6 / 6+ - plus Android Phones - Samsung Galaxy 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 - Galaxy Note 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 - All Phones - Highest Quality Made in the USA: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: CelGo Universal Cell Phone Car Mount Holder for all smartphones, mobile phones, iPhone 6 / 6+ - plus Android Phones - Samsung Galaxy 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 - Galaxy Note 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 - All Phones - Highest Quality Made in the USA: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 05-17-16, 08:01 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Thanks everybody. Seems like there are a lot of mixed reviews on these things, and about a million to choose from.

Where do y'all mount them in your GX?
Old 05-17-16, 09:05 AM
Kitana
Driver

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Thanks everybody. Seems like there are a lot of mixed reviews on these things, and about a million to choose from.

Where do y'all mount them in your GX?
Mine goes on the windshield and reaches to the side of the nav screen. I can adjust it anywhere needed. It has fallen down a couple times but you really have to mess with it for it to fall. If it fit my phone case it would be almost perfect.
Old 05-18-16, 01:26 PM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RAM Mount

I used the RAM x-grip mount for my iPhone 6+. Most costly than most, but very high quality. Worth every penny.
Old 05-18-16, 07:33 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I only use this for Waze. It is easy to pull the magnet vent clip out of the console when needed. I have the metal plate in my phone cover that I use anyway. Just slide the phone off the magnet when needed. I do fear breaking a vent clip though.

I use Waze when I think I need to for speed traps. Today I passed a speed trap was not using it LOL luckily I was at a lower speed. 80 mph in a 65 zone. Not a big deal here in Georgia

Old 05-19-16, 08:48 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Thanks again guys, and thanks Tecman for the pics!

I ordered a vent-clip style mount, should be here soon. Will post pictures.

I also won't be using it on a daily basis, just on a bunch of road trips to various interviews this summer. I've used waze before on a few trips to spot the popo (it works!!) but figured I'd mount it up this time and do it right
Old 05-20-16, 10:53 AM
khiroshima
Rookie

I've been really happy with this one:

Amazon.com: G-Cord® 2-in-1 Car Mount Holder and Air Vent Mount for iPhone and other Mobile Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: G-Cord® 2-in-1 Car Mount Holder and Air Vent Mount for iPhone and other Mobile Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

I mounted it to the cover that goes over the radio controls, works perfectly for a 6s and a 6 plus, will try to remember to take a picture as well-- KH
Attached Thumbnails Cell Phone Mount for Waze?-002.jpg  

Last edited by khiroshima; 05-24-16 at 02:26 PM. Reason: 052416 added pic, sorry it's a little dark, but you get the idea
Old 05-21-16, 10:37 AM
kaiso
Driver School Candidate

Default What I use

Old 05-21-16, 04:33 PM
Norman53
10th Gear

Default Cell Phone Mount

Pro Clip USA

Not the cheapest, well made vehicle & phone specific. Ur phone stays where u put it!!!
Old 05-23-16, 07:34 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

This is what I got. $13. It does the trick.

So far, so good. Drawbacks are that it's fairly difficult to remove your phone without moving the mount, and the vents on the GX are slightly in-set so you don't get a flush fit on the mount if you keep it to one side or the other (so in my case, it cants outward a little bit). Doesn't seem to shake, stays in place firmly.

http://www.amazon.com/Car-Mount-Univ.../dp/B01865LEM8

Here's the charger I bought, phone-specific but the maxboost charger fits inside the cubby nicely, can even close the lid for a clean look.

http://www.amazon.com/Charge-Charger.../dp/B012BSTIEW
Attached Thumbnails Cell Phone Mount for Waze?-gx-phone-mount.jpg  
Old 05-24-16, 02:28 PM
khiroshima
Rookie

Originally Posted by khiroshima
I've been really happy with this one:
As I look at the picture, the angle is kinda rough, the holder does not sit on the shifter as it appears to, in my poor picture KH
Old 05-24-16, 02:33 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by khiroshima
As I look at the picture, the angle is kinda rough, the holder does not sit on the shifter as it appears to, in my poor picture KH
It stays in place well? I would not have thought of that spot as a mounting position.

It's a little low for line of sight, but that wouldn't take up any space on the windshield, and wouldn't block any vents. Looks like a nice setup.

Quick Reply: Cell Phone Mount for Waze?