GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

USB port not working at all

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 03:53 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USB port not working at all

So today I hit 36000 miles and while I was playing music via my iPod through the USB port, the usb stopped working and the music resumed itself thru Bluetooth. I was driving and didn't mess with it. After restarting the truck the usb started working again for about 10 minutes and then it crashed when I was trying to switch songs via the menu. Now the USB tab is gone on the display and the phone won't even charge via the port.

I stopped and started the GX. I rebooted the phone. Still no luck. Any advice?
Old 04-13-16, 05:34 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Two things come to mind. A bad cable or you may have something in the USB port. Try a new cable and use pressurized air to blow out the vulnerable GX port as it is facing up. Does the phone work on other devices?

I have had the same problem and it was a bad cable.
Old 04-13-16, 06:17 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

I've tried two cables and two different phones. The phones charge fine in the house and also via the cig lighter. I'm going to look for my can of air now.

I called roadside before and they were like "dunno how to troubleshoot that call the dealer"
Old 04-13-16, 06:19 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

Can of air did nothing. Aux port works fine.

I also tried a 3rd iPhone

Last edited by scriptkitt; 04-13-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 06:47 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You called roadside assistance because the USB plug stopped working?
Old 04-14-16, 06:54 AM
scriptkitt
Rookie

I read somewhere else about someone pressing the SOS button (which I'm not subscribed to) for something ridiculous so I wanted to see what would happen if I called.

The phone tree actually had an option for "I'm having problems with enform" and the woman I spoke to acted like she troubleshoots stuff like this all the time with the newer app suite so she didn't act surprised. She wasn't like "girl, stop wasting my time with your first world problems!" She just wasn't familiar with the older enform/radios
Old 04-14-16, 01:48 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Does the power outlet right there work? If not, check the fuse. I don't know what fuse the usb works through, but if it shares a fuse with the power outlet that would be a good place to check.
Old 04-14-16, 03:23 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

The power outlet and the aux port are working. I talked to the tech guy at the dealer and he said to bring it in. I have a date next week with them
Old 04-16-16, 10:46 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by scriptkitt
The power outlet and the aux port are working. I talked to the tech guy at the dealer and he said to bring it in. I have a date next week with them
If you can, please update us on what happens!
Old 04-17-16, 02:51 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

Something else weird happened

I drove 3 hrs to visit friends yesterday. I just went to start the truck to drive home and my battery was dead dead dead. Not even a whisper of response. I did not leave any lights or accessories on in the GX

My friend plugged in his battery charger and it reported my battery at 7%. So basically in 22 hours it drained down that low.

We are now wondering if the USB death was simply a symptom of a battery or electrical issue? Perhaps the USB gets powered off the battery and the still working cig lighter gets power from the alternator?

When I was trying to solve this mystery in my garage earlier in the week my battery had trouble starting after only 20 minutes of the truck being in accessories mode.
Old 04-17-16, 03:52 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

You have a 2012, have you ever changed the battery? My experience is a new battery every 4 years is needed or a safe precaution. The GX does seem to go into an electrical safe mode...

When I was doing some DIY wiring I thought I blew a fuse and didn't know which one. I pulled all of them and unknowingly misplaced one. The next morning I headed out to work and noticed an AC failure on my navigation screen (I don't recall the specific wording) .
I drove in traffic and went a pretty good distance with no other problems. On the way home things started shutting down, the navigation screen then the radio along with dash lights. I pulled off the highway to park and the power steering went out just as I pulled into a gas station and the truck died. I was within 5 miles of my parents so I had my father jump me off after I rearranged the fuses
Old 04-17-16, 05:54 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

Jeez! Glad you were near your family!

I just bought my 2012 in January so maybe this is the original battery. I'll check that out. Wednesday is my dealer appt for the USB port. I'll keep you posted
Old 04-17-16, 08:05 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

If it's a Panasonic battery, it's the original.
Old 04-19-16, 09:33 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The dealer replaced my OEM battery under warranty after it wouldn't start (dead battery) after sitting for 2 weeks, no questions asked.
Old 04-21-16, 08:48 AM
scriptkitt
Rookie

i have good news!

the dealer is replacing the OEM battery even tho its not technically part of the CPO warranty. they said the battery should last 5 years.

as for the USB port.... there is a short in the junction box. they have to order that part and they'll fix that as well.

Quick Reply: USB port not working at all