GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking into purchasing a used one

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 07:31 AM
struka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into purchasing a used one

Hey everyone, I am in the process of looking at used GXs and from what I see that a 2011 is right at $ 30k with 80k miles on it.

What are your thoughts on such mileage?
The one I found has a good CarFax report with the AIR valve replaced couple months ago.
When I contacted my friend that works in Lexus he ran the VIN the water pump has not been replaced yet so I expect that to happen. Is that about $ 500 at the dealer?

Any input towards a high mileage car like this?

Link to the actual car:
http://www.jimkennedyautos.com/2011-...5/Details.aspx
Old 04-05-16, 08:17 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by struka
Hey everyone, I am in the process of looking at used GXs and from what I see that a 2011 is right at $ 30k with 80k miles on it.

What are your thoughts on such mileage?
The one I found has a good CarFax report with the AIR valve replaced couple months ago.
When I contacted my friend that works in Lexus he ran the VIN the water pump has not been replaced yet so I expect that to happen. Is that about $ 500 at the dealer?

Any input towards a high mileage car like this?

Link to the actual car:
http://www.jimkennedyautos.com/2011-...5/Details.aspx
If your talkig about the belt timing belt service at 90K at the dealer its more.$30k for a 5 year old car is impressive
Old 04-05-16, 08:19 AM
struka
Driver School Candidate

I thought these had timing chains? I will look into this.

I agree, 30k for a 5 year old car with 80k miles is impressive but it seems that's what they go for.
Heck, I have a 2010 Bmw 328 with 90k miles on it and they are going for only $ 10k.
Old 04-05-16, 08:26 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by struka
I thought these had timing chains? I will look into this.

I agree, 30k for a 5 year old car with 80k miles is impressive but it seems that's what they go for.
Heck, I have a 2010 Bmw 328 with 90k miles on it and they are going for only $ 10k.
Your right timing belt was last gen. This gen is chain
Old 04-05-16, 04:20 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you could find an 11 with half those miles and CPO'd for in and around $34-36K.
Old 04-05-16, 04:29 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do better

In Jan I got a CPO 2012 base with climate package, wood/leather steering wheel & shifter, perforated semi aniline leather and aftermarket parking sensors for $38k. It had 30k miles on it and everything was mint condition
Old 04-05-16, 05:02 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you can do better as well, especially for a non-premium, if you're willing to look around and possibly wait. For example, here's a one owner, clean carfax, premium model with similar mileage for $28k: http://www.koonsofwoodbridge.com/201...4/Details.aspx

For comparison's sake, my 2011 was the same price as the one you posted but it's a premium with 20k fewer miles. The one you're looking at has been on the dealer's lot for a bit over a month now, with no price reductions, so they may be willing to negotiate.
Old 04-06-16, 08:57 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I recently purchased a 2011 Premium with 71k miles.

I think that 55k-80k mileage range on 2010s and 2011s is the sweet spot for value. If you get a 2012 or 2013, most places are asking $39,000, $40,000 or more.
Old 04-12-16, 02:16 AM
thequickad
Rookie

I highly recommend against buying a used GX460. The quality seems to be very poor now days, within less than 65K miles, I had already 3 major issues each costing over $2K in repair bills (fortunately these were all covered under Lexus factory warranty):

1. 2ndary air pump filter issue (check this out as this is really a stupid design, a disaster waiting to happen due to a cheap foam filter).
2. Front bumper had to be replaced due to issues with the clips holding the bumper
3. Water pump and center differential leaking (both covered under Lexus 70K power train warranty).

So the GX460 is not the old GX470 in terms of long term reliability.

I decided to trade-in my 69K miles GX460 to the dealer before something else goes wrong. Also, under 70K miles the dealer can re-certify it as CPO and I got a better trade-in value.
Old 04-12-16, 05:52 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thequickad
I highly recommend against buying a used GX460. The quality seems to be very poor now days, within less than 65K miles, I had already 3 major issues each costing over $2K in repair bills (fortunately these were all covered under Lexus factory warranty):

1. 2ndary air pump filter issue (check this out as this is really a stupid design, a disaster waiting to happen due to a cheap foam filter).
2. Front bumper had to be replaced due to issues with the clips holding the bumper
3. Water pump and center differential leaking (both covered under Lexus 70K power train warranty).

I decided to trade-in my 69K miles GX460 to the dealer before something else goes wrong. Also, under 70K miles the dealer can re-certify it as CPO and I got a better trade-in value.
With all due respect there is not an extensive enough history of issues with the GX 460 for it to be on anyone's "Do Not Buy" list. The secondary air intake pump is certainly a problem, and it covers more than just the GX 460, but you can take some very simple steps to help reduce your chance of having an issue. Removing the foam filter and using an external filter takes all of 15 minutes and can be done by nearly anyone. That eliminates the filter problem and only leaves the seemingly more rare gasket issue with the valves.

Water pump failures are incredibly common in used cars. So much so that many people consider them wear items and will replace them at the same time as a timing belt if it hasn't already died. While most would like to see 90k+ out of them, I wouldn't panic about having to replace one at any point over 60K. My coworker just replaced his, on a VW CC, with only 30K miles on the odometer. That is a problem.

It's unfortunate that you had a bumper and center differential issue but let's get a little perspective here. Look at the competitors to the GX 460. In the world of LR4s, GLs, X5s, and Q7s, I'll be betting on the GX 460. The MDX can certainly be thrown in the mix, and will likely be much more reliable than the others mentioned above, but I personally would never choose one over a GX.
Old 04-12-16, 08:17 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bd5400
With all due respect there is not an extensive enough history of issues with the GX 460 for it to be on anyone's "Do Not Buy" list. The secondary air intake pump is certainly a problem, and it covers more than just the GX 460, but you can take some very simple steps to help reduce your chance of having an issue. Removing the foam filter and using an external filter takes all of 15 minutes and can be done by nearly anyone. That eliminates the filter problem and only leaves the seemingly more rare gasket issue with the valves.

Water pump failures are incredibly common in used cars. So much so that many people consider them wear items and will replace them at the same time as a timing belt if it hasn't already died. While most would like to see 90k+ out of them, I wouldn't panic about having to replace one at any point over 60K. My coworker just replaced his, on a VW CC, with only 30K miles on the odometer. That is a problem.

It's unfortunate that you had a bumper and center differential issue but let's get a little perspective here. Look at the competitors to the GX 460. In the world of LR4s, GLs, X5s, and Q7s, I'll be betting on the GX 460. The MDX can certainly be thrown in the mix, and will likely be much more reliable than the others mentioned above, but I personally would never choose one over a GX.
Its very hard to make a case against the GX460 for reliability. The thing is a beast, an old beast, but thats what you get for making a reliable machine. Cross the MDX unless you like FCA build quality and transmission failures.

The only thing that one can really deduct points for the GX are lack of tech and long in the tooth interior.
Old 04-12-16, 02:12 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thequickad

I own 2 Land Rover products.

Ever see "Silence of the Lambs"?

"You don't know what pain is!!!"
Old 04-12-16, 02:20 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rld14
I own 2 Land Rover products.

Ever see "Silence of the Lambs"?

"You don't know what pain is!!!"
Is Dealership Service Center a setting for the Terrain Response System.....

Thank you, I`ll be here all week folks
Old 04-12-16, 02:22 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Is Dealership Service Center a setting for the Terrain Response System.....

Thank you, I`ll be here all week folks
Can't the GX automatically navigate you to your preferred dealer? Or did I imagine that?
Old 04-12-16, 08:39 PM
thequickad
Rookie

you guys are drinking the GX Kool-Aid. Just because you want the GX460 to be reliable, it does not mean it is. Yes some forum member came out with an ingenious fix for the 2ndary air pump filter issue. But Lexus still missed the boat. Just read the topics on the GX460 forum and you see many issues posted by the other members.

So GX is more reliable than Range Rover, o.k. so what, when you buy a Lexus you expect legendary Toyota reliability. It is supposed to be more reliable than Range Rover, why is that even a yardstick? If you buy a used GX460, better make sure you get it CPO so you have some warranty coverage. It is just not as reliable as it should be for a 4runner upgrade. Not fun when the 2ndary air pump problem occurred while I was driving on the 5 FWY. I am glad I sold mine.

Quick Reply: Looking into purchasing a used one