Dealing with scraches

Old 02-25-16, 03:36 AM
Mhsurgeon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealing with scraches

Dear forum,
I have a 2014 lexus gx 460 with black color code:C/TR:217/LE00
What is the complete describtion of my color? And what is the best way to deal with scraches on the body of my car?
My best regards in advance for all
Old 02-25-16, 06:21 AM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase, you will love it. I also have a black one, which is the hardest color to keep looking good. But it can be done. Those scratches, or "swirls" you see are in the clear coat of your paint. The clearcoat gets scratched by running it through car washes that have dirt particles on the brushes, unclean washing cloths or sponges, dirty wash water etc. Every particle is an an abrasive. These scratches and swirls make the finish look dull.
Google "Two Bucket Car Wash" on Youtube, there are hundreds of good videos on how to properly wash and protect your finish. One of my favorites is a guy named Junkman 2000 or something like that. The videos also go into using a random orbit buffer and polishing, waxing and sealing your finish. I do it myself several times a year, but I have also paid reputable expert detailers to do it as well if I'm too busy.
There is a lot to learn on the subject, and all kinds of products and equipment you can buy, have fun!
Old 02-26-16, 06:06 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Good luck man. What you are describing is why I went the leasing route. Got tired of every little scratch or imperfection and trying to stay on top of correcting the paint. Takes way too much time for a daily driven car.

Are you in Iraq? Isn't there a LOT of sand there? There will be no way to keep your car looking good. Other than not driving it.
Old 02-26-16, 09:04 AM
Mhsurgeon
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Good luck man. What you are describing is why I went the leasing route. Got tired of every little scratch or imperfection and trying to stay on top of correcting the paint. Takes way too much time for a daily driven car.

Are you in Iraq? Isn't there a LOT of sand there? There will be no way to keep your car looking good. Other than not driving it.
Thanks dear, this is exactly the case (sand weather) in iraq.
But bro, we have no leasing service and i wanna drive a nice pwoerful suv 😀
Old 02-26-16, 10:38 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

You will probably need a paint correction or a polish/buff. Easiest if you can find a reputable auto detail guy to do it for you.

You could also buy an orbital buffer, polishing pads, polish and learn how to do it yourself. But if you're not careful, you'll cut through the paint.

Then you need to keep the car clean & waxed on a regular basis. Better yet, you could have the whole truck wrapped in clear film, but this might be expensive.
Old 02-26-16, 10:45 AM
Mhsurgeon
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanx

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
You will probably need a paint correction or a polish/buff. Easiest if you can find a reputable auto detail guy to do it for you.

You could also buy an orbital buffer, polishing pads, polish and learn how to do it yourself. But if you're not careful, you'll cut through the paint.

Then you need to keep the car clean & waxed on a regular basis. Better yet, you could have the whole truck wrapped in clear film, but this might be expensive.
Dear friend,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Does the clear film affect the paint?
Old 02-26-16, 11:09 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mhsurgeon
Dear friend,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Does the clear film affect the paint?
The clear film, if installed correctly and using a quality film, will keep the paint underneath perfect. At least that's the goal.

It's best to do it immediately after a paint correction so that the paint underneath is flawless.

Here are a couple of brands of film:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/

http://www.xpel.com/
Old 02-26-16, 02:13 PM
Mhsurgeon
Driver School Candidate

Default Enquiry

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
The clear film, if installed correctly and using a quality film, will keep the paint underneath perfect. At least that's the goal.

It's best to do it immediately after a paint correction so that the paint underneath is flawless.

Here are a couple of brands of film:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/

http://www.xpel.com/
Thanks a lot for the advice but one question is: doesn't this clear film affect my paint if i decided to remove it later,say 2 years later?
Old 02-26-16, 03:30 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Get the paint corrected and flawless before installing film. Otherwise you'll just trap the scratches/sand/dirt/swirls underneath the film.
Old 02-26-16, 05:40 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Mhsurgeon
Thanks a lot for the advice but one question is: doesn't this clear film affect my paint if i decided to remove it later,say 2 years later?
I have the same concern. With the extreme heat/sun in your location, a wrap my bond to the paint. I had a clear wrap put on my headlights and have read of removing it strips the clear coat off.

Of course this depends on the environment along with the quality of the wrap.

Old 02-26-16, 09:03 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

A vinyl graphic or color wrap is not the same as a clear film. Also service trucks don't get proper attention like a personal vehicle. The car should still be washed on a regular basis.

If you use a quality film such as 3M, etc. there should be no issues. Older clear films would yellow over time but, worst case they could be removed and replaced by a careful installer, typically with steam.

That said, if your GX is black and you leave it out in the Nefud, the whole truck might melt away out there