GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sill plate dents

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 02:28 PM
carterww
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sill plate dents

I have a 2012 GX I bought new. The sill plates (Lexus logo) have been dented since shortly after I got it. Seems like a design flaw, as they dent very easily when stepped on. Just wondering if there is a service bulletin about it, or a fix in the design in later years. I priced new ones and they are 225.00 each. So I'm not crazy about replacing them knowing they will get damaged again so easily. I'm sure everyone that has a GX from 2010 forward has had the same problem. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-16, 04:43 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 884 Likes on 613 Posts

I have some dings as well

This comes up on Carid.com, but it is a universal fit
http://www.carid.com/2011-lexus-gx-door-sills/

Old 02-22-16, 06:54 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is a year old and I had the dents for most the of time iv'e owned the truck.

I did find these for the LC Prado but im not sure how I feel about it saying Prado on it.
Old 02-23-16, 07:50 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A design flaw that somebody was too rough on a piece of aluminum? I had one of mine dented by the dealer in which they replaced but in 51k mine have no dents so I don't see a design flaw, I see abuse. Next thing you know people will want new doors because they got a door ding, Japanese metal is too thin to stop door dings.

Just my .02
Old 02-23-16, 09:12 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no dents on mine.
those marks look like high heel dents
Old 02-23-16, 09:31 AM
carterww
10th Gear

Sill plates are designed to be stepped on when getting in and out of a sport utility that sits higher than a car. When these are barely touched, they dent! So you basically have to get in and out of your car carefully, to make sure you don't step on a still plate that is designed to be stepped on, to keep them nice!! Looks like others have had the same problem. Would have been better to use a more rigid metal plate or just keep them all plastic, so they could withstand the intended purpose. So yes I consider it a design flaw and was looking for solutions, not smart ... remarks. Always at least one in the crowd. I joined the forum yesterday for the purpose of finding some help. Thanks to those who did offer help. That's suppose to be the purpose of a forum like this. As I quickly offered help to someone with a rain sensor problem that I had experience with. I'm rescinding my membership though, as I prefer to deal with people that have respect for others. This does not appear to be the place for that.
Old 02-23-16, 10:37 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by carterww
Sill plates are designed to be stepped on when getting in and out of a sport utility that sits higher than a car. When these are barely touched, they dent! So you basically have to get in and out of your car carefully, to make sure you don't step on a still plate that is designed to be stepped on, to keep them nice!! Looks like others have had the same problem. Would have been better to use a more rigid metal plate or just keep them all plastic, so they could withstand the intended purpose. So yes I consider it a design flaw and was looking for solutions, not smart ... remarks. Always at least one in the crowd. I joined the forum yesterday for the purpose of finding some help. Thanks to those who did offer help. That's suppose to be the purpose of a forum like this. As I quickly offered help to someone with a rain sensor problem that I had experience with. I'm rescinding my membership though, as I prefer to deal with people that have respect for others. This does not appear to be the place for that.
so i have an infiniti g with sill plates. are those supposed to be stepped on? Not so. How would you
even step on it getting in and out of car. would be awkward. The running boards are what you step on. Sorry, you posted question and you got it. Cars need care. Not to be treated like a tank.
Old 02-23-16, 11:10 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought my GX CPO. Passenger side sill looked like it saw a golf shoe or two (scratched metal and plastic). Just the added benefit of buying used. I plan to get weather tech mats, so they'll cover most of the issue.
Old 02-23-16, 11:30 AM
carterww
10th Gear

My response was meant for Eppiegy not T4 fun. Sorry about that.
Old 02-24-16, 07:27 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My response was meant for Eppiegy not T4 fun. Sorry about that.
Sorry if I have offended you, wasn't the intent. I am a forum moderator on another vehicle forum and I agree, forums like these are meant to help others. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, was not my intent.

To be honest I can't see any reason to step on the sill plates when you have running boards, seems like an awkward second step to me, to be honest I don't even use the running boards. I use mine everyday and take co-workers out at least 4 days a week in my GX and in 51k I do not have one dent so that was the reason for my response. When I bought mine I upgraded to the lighted sill plates so I look at them often and would be pissed after how much I spent on them if they got dented.
Old 02-24-16, 03:54 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I learned a long time ago that these plates are not meant to be stepped on. As a result, mine look like new.
I do like the Prado plates (above). They look nice and heavy duty. If you put them on, keep the Lexus plates, so you could put them back on if you sold the vehicle.
Old 02-24-16, 05:33 PM
jonhul
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2016 GX with 3000 miles on it and a drivers side sill plate dinged up. I am very careful getting in and out of the vehicle and for the life of me can't figure out how the dings got there. My thought is the metal is way too thin for it to have dings.
Old 05-28-17, 10:34 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Can the aluminum insert be replaced individually or does the entire sill need to be replaced?

We just purchased a pre-owned 2015 GX and all the sills are dented.

Last edited by DallasDave; 05-28-17 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-23-19, 12:59 PM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GX- Prado/FJ150 Door Sill Plates Compatible?

Anyone know for sure if Prado door sill scuff plates fit our GX460s?

eg: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273738266468
Old 06-23-19, 02:43 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,060 Likes on 705 Posts

I have a 2012 GX I bought new. The sill plates (Lexus logo) have been dented since shortly after I got it. Seems like a design flaw, as they dent very easily when stepped on. Just wondering if there is a service bulletin about it, or a fix in the design in later years. I priced new ones and they are 225.00 each. So I'm not crazy about replacing them knowing they will get damaged again so easily. I'm sure everyone that has a GX from 2010 forward has had the same problem. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
The aluminum sill plate clearly does not have a rigid backing to support localized bending ... have never removed, but assume the backing is the plastic surround in terms of support ... with the aluminum plate secured using double-sticky foam tape.

If this bugs you that much, cut a piece of thin gauge steel sheet into (just under) the the same size ... and layer underneath the aluminum sill plate so as to distribute any localized force that would cause the aluminum to bend ... and do not use double-sticky foam tape between the aluminum and steel layers. The steel sheet would need to thin enough so as to not cosmetically lift the aluminum insert too much to where it would look like a kludge.

Alternatively, adding support (taking up any gap) between the plastic surround and the top of the rocker panel may accomplish the same, assuming the Lexus use of foam tape is not causing or contributing to the problem.

Last edited by ASE; 06-23-19 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Sill plate dents