GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Information about GX

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 07:14 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information about GX

I know nothing about the GX I have an RX and have owned it for the past 12 years. I have a down payment on a new Volvo XC90, but, after reading about some problems, I am really doubting my decision. My husband went to the Lexus dealership this morning and came home with information about the LX, but, come to find out, it only has rear cross traffic alert on the 2016 and I don't want to pay that price right now. I will be able to research more on the GX tomorrow, but, thought I would come here and ask if there are differences in GX year between 2014-2016? I would appreciate any input you may have. I am looking for blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert and I would like remote start. Thank you everyone

Last edited by gptgirl; 01-26-16 at 07:15 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-27-16, 05:48 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Just curious as to why you are shopping new versus used. Depending upon equipment they are not far apart in price.

Can't answer your question as I am only looking at new ones and don't own one at this time.
Old 01-27-16, 06:44 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Just curious as to why you are shopping new versus used. Depending upon equipment they are not far apart in price.
I agree with you on that. When you combine the finance cost and any incentives when buying new, the price new vs used can be pretty close.

But there aren't many differences between '14-'16. I think out of the three you mentioned, the '16 uses the Enform protocol for the remote start whereas the equivalent for the '14 and '15 is RES+
Old 01-27-16, 10:53 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

BSM w/RCTA was new to the GX in 2014
BSM without RCTA was new to the RX in 2013, RCTA added for 2016
pinoyeav6 is correct about the RS feature
Old 01-28-16, 07:18 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
BSM w/RCTA was new to the GX in 2014
BSM without RCTA was new to the RX in 2013, RCTA added for 2016
pinoyeav6 is correct about the RS feature
Thanks for the information. That was helpful. We were interested in the LX. We did not want to buy brand new, so, we looked at 2015. When I heard it didn't have RCTA, it was a deal breaker for me. Now, to read the GX has had it since 2014, makes me shake my head. I am just trying to see the justification of a 30k price increase from a GX to a LX.
Old 01-29-16, 10:49 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

More HP, more room behind the 3rd row, more common to find U/T with extra cameras (option on both but much more likely on LX), "20 wheels vs "18's, power 2nd row Front/Rear movement, different tailgate configuration.
Old 02-01-16, 10:13 AM
NLu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gptgirl
I am just trying to see the justification of a 30k price increase from a GX to a LX.
I had a 2012 GX, and replaced with a 2015 LX.
To be completely honest, the differences are not huge.

However, the LX is better (IMHO) than the GX in the following:
- Power (evident all the time, but especially when towing)
- Ride comfort (the LX is significantly smoother)
- 3rd row room (LX is actually liveable for a short time, and there is still space behind the 3rd row for strollers, etc... GX 3rd row is a joke
- Interior width (LX is noticably wider than GX, especially evident in the 2nd row)

Finally, something that accounts for the majority of the price difference, but is not really evident in everyday driving, is the platform difference.

LX/Land cruiser platform is the most durable off-road platform in the world.
GX shares platform with 4Runner, and it is a smaller frame. Still very durable and capable, but it's not a Land Cruiser/LX...
Old 02-01-16, 12:15 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It all depends on what you're going to do with it. You're coming from an RX (essentially a station wagon). Both the GX and LX are full time 4WD trucks. If you're just hauling Sally to soccer games, those make zero sense. The 3rd row in the GX is laughable, it's just there so they can say they offer it.

The GX is larger than the RX (obviously). My wife won't even attempt to drive my GX because she thinks it is too big. Needless to say, you will need to test drive them before plunking down money to buy one.

Might want to wait till the end of the month or the "Golden Opportunity Sales event" in March. Unless you're buying used, then it doesn't really matter.

GX shares more of its platform with the Toyota Prado.
Old 02-01-16, 12:44 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NLu
I had a 2012 GX, and replaced with a 2015 LX.
To be completely honest, the differences are not huge.

However, the LX is better (IMHO) than the GX in the following:
- Power (evident all the time, but especially when towing)
- Ride comfort (the LX is significantly smoother)
- 3rd row room (LX is actually liveable for a short time, and there is still space behind the 3rd row for strollers, etc... GX 3rd row is a joke
- Interior width (LX is noticably wider than GX, especially evident in the 2nd row)

Finally, something that accounts for the majority of the price difference, but is not really evident in everyday driving, is the platform difference.

LX/Land cruiser platform is the most durable off-road platform in the world.
GX shares platform with 4Runner, and it is a smaller frame. Still very durable and capable, but it's not a Land Cruiser/LX...
well you need to go test the 2016 LX, because it sucks on power and the transmission is horrible.
I didnt feel any noticeable difference in ride quality. If anything you can feel it weight much more than the gx.

The gx will never compare to the lx offroad, but on road the GX shines over the LX. the size inside is not that much different to command a 30 grand difference. If you want that much more space, go for the toyota sequoia or gm suburban

Actually the GX is based on the LC prado overseas, not the 4runner, however, the frames I believe are same size and all except probably a few punched out holes here and there.

Last edited by T4Fun; 02-05-16 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-02-16, 05:41 PM
cc4sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gptgirl
...if there are differences in GX year between 2014-2016? I would appreciate any input you may have. I am looking for blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert and I would like remote start. Thank you everyone
I just bought a 2014 CPO in December 2015. Loving it so far. There is very little difference in 2014 to 2016...just know that the resale value is abnormally high, meaning if you're looking for a used one, be prepared to pay probably more than you were expecting. I ended up flying from LA to the Bay area to buy, then drove it back.

You should educate yourself as much as you can about remote start. I thought I wanted this as well but when I found out your start will remotely start, but will shut off as soon as you open the car door, that killed it for me.

Mine does have the BSM (blind spot monitor), rear cross traffic alert, park assist, etc. I wasn't sure how much I would like each of those but have come to love and rely on them. They are awesome, can't imagine not having those in my car now.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-16, 07:53 PM
NLu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cc4sc
just know that the resale value is abnormally high, meaning if you're looking for a used one, be prepared to pay probably more than you were expecting.

Good luck!
GX and LX have some of the highest resale values of any vehicle, period...
The depreciation of a brand new GX is still going to be high, but if you're able to buy one that's a couple years used, continuing depreciation is very low.
Old 02-24-16, 04:09 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

GPT: The Lexus GX is essentially a luxury Toyota 4-Runner, with a larger (V-8) engine. It has many of the same off-road capabilities as the 4-Runner. If you are never going to go off-road, then you should be looking at the RX or the top Highlanders. But, if you need a vehicle with very capable four wheel drive abilities, and Lexus, luxury features, then the GX is well worth looking at and considering. If you just want to drive it around town or on the highway though, consider a RX or Highlander.
Old 02-24-16, 06:27 PM
jhd331
Driver School Candidate

So here is my two cents in regards to the LX versus the GX.

I looked at both in December and ended up purchasing a brand new 2016 GX460.

The LX while luxurious and larger it really was not with the 30K price difference. The GX is almost just as large with realistically the same features if equipped correctly. Granted, the LX wheels are much nicer than the GX, you can always get the F Sport wheels on the GX and make it look a lot nicer.

I would not jump at spending the 30K additional for the LX.... And for what it's worth.. If i can get a new vehicle where i can know the everything about it and save money while doing it... it's kind of a no brainer.
Old 02-26-16, 07:16 AM
J295
Driver School Candidate

Just read Trader Score comments and concur.
We just purchased a GX premium new, and for us it was pretty clear from all angles that new was the way to go.
Pricing between CPO used and new (new being what you can land on through negotiations) are fairly narrow and your ability to get exactly what you want is compromised to the luck of the draw on what you can find for CPO. I'd rather put all the miles on myself when I'm paying this amount of money for vehicle.
Best regards.
Old 02-26-16, 08:32 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
GPT: The Lexus GX is essentially a luxury Toyota 4-Runner, with a larger (V-8) engine. It has many of the same off-road capabilities as the 4-Runner. If you are never going to go off-road, then you should be looking at the RX or the top Highlanders. But, if you need a vehicle with very capable four wheel drive abilities, and Lexus, luxury features, then the GX is well worth looking at and considering. If you just want to drive it around town or on the highway though, consider a RX or Highlander.
its not a 4runner. they are separate vehicles.
its based off the prado land cruiser, not sold here in US.

Quick Reply: Information about GX