GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 02:01 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Few questions

Lexus website is so worthless that I have to ask a few basic questions to avoid going to a dealer.

What grade of fuel is required?

Base sound system..... Does it have HD radio? Hard drive memory? DVD surround? How is overall sound and bass response? If anyone can compare base to ML I'd appreciate it. BTW, we currently have a 2014 GS350 with ML and previously had a 2010 GS with it. Mixed feelings.

How is ride/body control of base suspension & air suspension? While the vehicle would be primarily for my wife, I like a well controlled but not harsh ride. Not mushy. The step up in price to Luxury is steep because they all have ML stereo. At that price range I'd have a hard time buying the GX as so much of the vehicle is such old tech.

At a $57k list and $5,000 discount I can make a case for buying it. At $64,000 and similar discount there are better alternatives such as an X5.

Thanks for any input on the vehicle.

EDIT. I have looked at other websites and have gotten answers to some of my questions. But I'd still like subjective input. Buying a GX cannot be done on objective, quantifiable criteria in my opinion. I don't think the GX will win very many head-to-head comparisons. I am huge car guy and have been for 50 years. What I see in the GX is that it might be the best compromise for my wife and I at the right price point.

If money were no object it's not what I would buy. But wanting to be at $50,000 or so (less would be good) it may be a great choice for what we want. Low $50,000s I'm okay with. My signature and Avatar gives you some insight. BTW, I'm 63 years old, and yes, the Ducati in my Avatar is one of my toys!

EDIT 2. Anyone have the F Sport wheels? Are they wider than the 7.5s?

Last edited by jjscsix; 01-24-16 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 09:12 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i see you own an A7. any issues with it? i am interested in the RS7.

any, the gx takes premium fuel. i always use 93 octane.
The ride of the luxury is the best with the air suspension.
The luxury gives you other features too besides the ML stereo, which is incredible.
I say just go for the luxury version, you wont regret it.
Old 01-24-16, 10:34 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I always always use 93 on all of my cars. Cleanest burning fuel you can get and best gas mileage on out cars.
Old 01-25-16, 04:51 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i see you own an A7. any issues with it? i am interested in the RS7.

any, the gx takes premium fuel. i always use 93 octane.
The ride of the luxury is the best with the air suspension.
The luxury gives you other features too besides the ML stereo, which is incredible.
I say just go for the luxury version, you wont regret it.
I love the A7. Long story but I bought a 2015 and kept it ten months/8500 miles then traded it for a 2016 which I have just over 5000 miles on now. Zero problems and the best driving car I have ever had.

As I said above, I really don't see buying a $64,000 GX. At that priced there are better options. But at 57,000 (less discounts) it makes a better case. I just need to drive one to make sure I like it. The only features the Luxury version has that would mean anything to me are the ML and air ride. But if the base stereo and suspension work for me compared to the orher vehicles I am considering, then the GX looks like a serious contender.

I did see that it requires Premium. But per isfdude's comments, running premium in a vehicle not requiring it gets you nothing, and in fact probably has a negative impact on performance and economy. This is not my opinion, it's a well known fact based upon science. Thre is plenty of information available supporting that.

But I see the GX "requires" it so I would certainly run it. The GX gets bad gas mileage by today's standards for a vehicle of its size and power. I was hoping that by running regular I'd feel better about the poor mileage. But it would not be a deal breaker if the vehicle is priced right.
Old 01-25-16, 04:54 AM
jjscsix
Racer

BTW T4fun, is that a Hellcat in your Avatar?