GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rumors or Spy Shots of the 2017 GX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 04:38 PM
rac10000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumors or Spy Shots of the 2017 GX?

I'm considering a 2016 GX 460 Luxury to replace my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ... has anyone heard any rumors or seen any spy shots of the 2017 GX? I thought a full redesign might be in store.
Old 01-24-16, 09:25 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no one knows. They may even be discontinuing it. the GX is a dinosaur. Look at the audi q7 for all new tech features.
Old 01-25-16, 08:29 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

There is nothing so far.

Recent Land Cruiser/LX spy shots didn't come out until right before you could order one.

Based on last time, it would be a staggered release from the Land Cruiser/LX by two years, or 2018. Also, if the refresh in 2014 was true mid-cycle, for an 8 year product cycle, the new truck would be due in 2018.

Sales for 4runner and GX are very high, unlikely Toyota will rush a new model out if they don't have to.
Old 01-25-16, 08:49 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
There is nothing so far.

Recent Land Cruiser/LX spy shots didn't come out until right before you could order one.

Based on last time, it would be a staggered release from the Land Cruiser/LX by two years, or 2018. Also, if the refresh in 2014 was true mid-cycle, for an 8 year product cycle, the new truck would be due in 2018.

Sales for 4runner and GX are very high, unlikely Toyota will rush a new model out if they don't have to.
Where is your information coming from regarding sales? I'd be interested in seeing that.
Old 01-25-16, 09:30 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Where is your information coming from regarding sales? I'd be interested in seeing that.
Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_GX

And the fact that there are tons of them on the road
Old 01-25-16, 10:18 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyot...es+release.htm

the only reason suv sales high - low gas prices - when it rebounds, toyota will rethink the issue as it did 2 years ago
Old 01-25-16, 10:19 AM
managerx
Driver School Candidate

I search long and hard for any concrete rumors before buying my '16 in December, I couldn't find anything. That being said, I am comfortable with the knowledge that there could be an all new for '17 or the car could be discontinued.

For what it's worth I test drove a Grand Cherokee Summit with the 5.7L V8; I was quite surprised how nice it was, but it was too small for my needs. I am very happy with the GX choice - so much so that the more I drive it the better I feel about the purchase.
Old 01-25-16, 11:26 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by managerx
I search long and hard for any concrete rumors before buying my '16 in December, I couldn't find anything. That being said, I am comfortable with the knowledge that there could be an all new for '17 or the car could be discontinued.

For what it's worth I test drove a Grand Cherokee Summit with the 5.7L V8; I was quite surprised how nice it was, but it was too small for my needs. I am very happy with the GX choice - so much so that the more I drive it the better I feel about the purchase.
That is actually one of my options. When I buy a new vehicle (which is a lot) I'm usually all over the place as to what I'm considering. I'm a huge car nut and do tons of homework. On my radar now are as follows....

GX 470
BMW X5
Audi Q5
Audi Q7
Acura MDX
Grand Cherokee
Lincoln MKX
Nissan Murano

I can tell you that a couple of the above are long shots, and I can guess that a couple are more of a curiousity than a real consideration. But stranger things have happened for me. I don't have a lot of willpower! But I'm trying, especially as I'm getting close to retirement
Old 01-25-16, 11:28 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Thanks. I should think to look there more often.
Old 01-25-16, 03:34 PM
Dudley33
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked long and hard at the 2016 GX versus the 2016 LX. The new tech on the LX caused me to buy the LX. I would wait to see what Lexus does with the GX, redesign, unibody, discontinue, etc. If you can't wait, I'd look at the Toyota Sequoia or Toyota Highlander premium models with the new technology-- due to reliability issues, I would never buy an Audi or Jeep---- be sure to read Consumer Reports rankings on past models
Old 01-25-16, 04:49 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, can't believe sales practically doubled (12k to 23k ) from 2013 to 2014.

and they're mostly white color.
Old 01-26-16, 03:08 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Dudley33
I looked long and hard at the 2016 GX versus the 2016 LX. The new tech on the LX caused me to buy the LX. I would wait to see what Lexus does with the GX, redesign, unibody, discontinue, etc. If you can't wait, I'd look at the Toyota Sequoia or Toyota Highlander premium models with the new technology-- due to reliability issues, I would never buy an Audi or Jeep---- be sure to read Consumer Reports rankings on past models
I agree that the GX has some outdated "technology", but am curious as to what the Sequoia and Highlander has that you consider significant updated technology. Are you talking from a driving standpoint (such as drivetrain/chassis, suspension) or from an infotainment standpoint?
Old 01-26-16, 03:47 AM
jeepstang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
am curious as to what the Sequoia and Highlander has that you consider significant updated technology. Are you talking from a driving standpoint (such as drivetrain/chassis, suspension)?
I drove a Sequoia (rental car) with the 5.7L V-8 and I really wish that engine came in the GX. The 5.7 made the Sequoia fun the drive. The 4.6 in the GX (IMO) is merely adequate.

There's no replacement for displacement.

Kinda like going from my 06 4.6L Mustang to my 12 5.0L Mustang.
Old 01-26-16, 04:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by managerx

If you have any interest in a Jeep, I would recommend you take a look at this:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...we-sticky.html

Now, do you still want a Jeep?

Originally Posted by jeepstang
I drove a Sequoia (rental car) with the 5.7L V-8 and I really wish that engine came in the GX. The 5.7 made the Sequoia fun the drive. The 4.6 in the GX (IMO) is merely adequate.

There's no replacement for displacement.

Kinda like going from my 06 4.6L Mustang to my 12 5.0L Mustang.
This statement is so far out of date its sad. Boosted applications have entirely replaced displacement. The GT-R has been proving this statement wrong for well over 8 yrs now.
Old 01-26-16, 06:35 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wow, can't believe sales practically doubled (12k to 23k ) from 2013 to 2014.

and they're mostly white color.
They dropped the price $10K (or so I was told by my dealer before I purchased mine). I remember researching these circa 2012...the Luxury model was well over $70K, whereas I got mine in the low $60K.

Obviously that would hurt re-sale values, but would increase purchases of the new models.

Quick Reply: Rumors or Spy Shots of the 2017 GX?