Old 01-26-16, 06:47 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
If you have any interest in a Jeep, I would recommend you take a look at this:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...we-sticky.html

Now, do you still want a Jeep?

This statement is so far out of date its sad. Boosted applications have entirely replaced displacement. The GT-R has been proving this statement wrong for well over 8 yrs now.
yeah, lexus now finally getting it. The auto companies are at the level of street racers from 10 years ago.
Old 01-26-16, 07:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
yeah, lexus now finally getting it. The auto companies are at the level of street racers from 10 years ago.
Well, a car company is expected to create a setup that is reliable for long term use. An individual modifying their car doesn't care if they blow it up lol
Old 01-27-16, 05:11 AM
jeepstang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This statement is so far out of date its sad. Boosted applications have entirely replaced displacement. The GT-R has been proving this statement wrong for well over 8 yrs now.
The four engines to which I referred were all naturally aspirated.
Old 01-27-16, 06:57 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Correct, and then you made the age old stupid comment "no replacement for displacement"....so
Old 01-27-16, 07:35 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I work at a lexus dealership and im pretty plugged in when it comes to whats coming down the pipe. as we all know lexus really doesn't say much about future cars, and I am at a complete and total loss on the next GS, if there even is one. rumor has it that it may be discontinued but that hasn't been confirmed, but there is just nothing, and I mean NOTHING out there about the 2017 GX. prob not a great sign...
Old 01-27-16, 08:50 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

So they're spending all this money on the GS/GS-F, but it's going to be discontinued????? WTGDF???
Old 01-27-16, 09:19 AM
managerx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I work at a lexus dealership and im pretty plugged in when it comes to whats coming down the pipe. as we all know lexus really doesn't say much about future cars, and I am at a complete and total loss on the next GS, if there even is one. rumor has it that it may be discontinued but that hasn't been confirmed, but there is just nothing, and I mean NOTHING out there about the 2017 GX. prob not a great sign...
You clearly are in a much better position than me to read the tea leaves; but it seems odd that they would discontinue a platform that is showing growth, unless they have something in mind to replace it. I know they have denied a stretched RX, but there are spy shots confirming that they are testing it out. So perhaps a RX-L or something, but I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it as is for another year or do a LX update.

In the past have the Prado updates coincided with the GX updates? Perhaps rumors of the Prado platform could foreshadow the GX's future.
Old 01-27-16, 10:08 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So they're spending all this money on the GS/GS-F, but it's going to be discontinued????? WTGDF???
I think there was a mistype. It was supposed to say GX.

The market for the GS is huge, they need something to compete with the BMW 5 series.
Old 01-27-16, 11:29 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by managerx
You clearly are in a much better position than me to read the tea leaves; but it seems odd that they would discontinue a platform that is showing growth, unless they have something in mind to replace it. I know they have denied a stretched RX, but there are spy shots confirming that they are testing it out. So perhaps a RX-L or something, but I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it as is for another year or do a LX update.

In the past have the Prado updates coincided with the GX updates? Perhaps rumors of the Prado platform could foreshadow the GX's future.
Don't read much into it.

GX is an inexpensive to produce, high-margin SUV. As long as it sells, and as long as they make the 4runner and the Prado, GX will continue on.

Refreshes to the Prado and the GX have coincided since GX was introduced.

Also, FWIW, dealers do not typically find anything out significantly ahead of the journalists.
Old 01-27-16, 04:49 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I guess the question is, when is the Prado due for a complete refresh?
Old 01-28-16, 04:32 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

If you have any interest in a Jeep, I would recommend you take a look at this:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...we-sticky.html

Now, do you still want a Jeep?

There are some damn good naturally aspirated engines that run with forced induction in power, torque and economy. There will always be people who nit pick one or the other, but there are good and not so good on both sides. The single best example is the GM LS and LT engines. Look at the performance and economy of the Stingray then show me an example of another sports car that beats it in balance of properties. Horsepower, torque and economy are all best in class and it's normally aspirated. I had a 505 hp Z06 that easily got 26 mpg cruising at 75 mph yet some folks got them into the 10's in the quarter mile bone stock.

Last edited by jjscsix; 01-28-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-28-16, 05:35 AM
jeepstang
Driver School Candidate

Correct, and then you made the age old stupid comment "no replacement for displacement"....so
Sometimes age old comments are accurate, as in this case. Plus, it's my opinion.

Chill, dude.
Old 01-28-16, 05:58 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I honestly really don't think they will discontinue the GX, and since the LC Prado mirrors/generic GX we should keep a close eye on it
Old 01-28-16, 09:29 AM
kamper11
Driver School Candidate

As a soon to be new GX owner - ordered and deposit - i too had this same question. While i can't and won't disclose any sources, i have it on good insider knowledge (toy corp/Lex corp) that the GX is being discontinued for a unibody 3 row v6 version - rumors of a TX platform have circulated for a few years, and whether or not its a tx or RX - the idea communicated it will basically be a 3 row RX. (Lexus version of a Highlander is what i expect to see announced midyear - but thats my opinion)

I hope the info is wrong or decisions not necessarily made - but regardless - i chose the gx as its on the truck chassis (i currently own a 13 4runner) - it has a v8 (and I do some towing at altitude) - and i know it will last and have a TCO lower than most other alternatives.

Also - i have a fairly "particular" wife - and she's owned a lexus and simply likes the size and drivability of the 4 runner / GX over say a tahoe... and won't even "allow" a grand cherokee, ford or chevy/gm to grace the garage...

so - regardless of all the options that could tick the boxes - i chose the GX... FWIW - local dealers can't seem to get em in fast enough in CO so deposit and on the list for a color scheme that is coming later in Feb - we hope.

Truly - not trying to sound like a troll as a first time poster - as I said - i'm buying one whether they do indeed decide to move to a new platform and do so with a smile.
Old 01-28-16, 10:06 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
They dropped the price $10K (or so I was told by my dealer before I purchased mine). I remember researching these circa 2012...the Luxury model was well over $70K, whereas I got mine in the low $60K.

Obviously that would hurt re-sale values, but would increase purchases of the new models.
That's right.
I did remember when the 2nd gen first came out, there were some talk where for maybe 5-10k more, you can get into an LX instead.
I wasn't in the market for one so I never followed through.

Quick Reply: Rumors or Spy Shots of the 2017 GX?