GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

would u trade the GX in for the new audi q7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 10:30 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default would u trade the GX in for the new audi q7?

seems lexus behind the curve again.
check out the new audi. impressive. Not BOF, but has more towing capacity. Has adjustable air
height, almost same power, more pickup, better handling, and incredible ergonomics and look the google maps!

Never mind reliability issues. Seems audi improving there.

Old 01-20-16, 12:38 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

no doubt the q7 is way ahead of the gx in terms of technology and features. i test drove a used one last summer and it was great. if reliability is off the table, i would definitely consider a new q7. however, the comfort of knowing i've got a vehicle that's designed to drive in extreme conditions and an engine that won't quit even when it hits 300,000 miles (even though i will probably never hit that) is what keeps me in the gx's driver seat.
Old 01-20-16, 12:56 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many choices for a cross-over. I cannot understand why a person will get this Q7.
I haven't seen new Q7 in person. But from the pictures and videos, the exterior is ugly proportioned with a crying face, even a Highlander looks better now.
The interior is quite old feeling also. To me, the LCD trend of the meters is tacky and cheap.
I drove last gen Q7 a few times, nothing is good except the inside room, and I think that the old Q7 exterior looks better than the new one.
Old 01-20-16, 05:54 PM
Venture
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a GX 460 to replace my 470, and did look at the Q7. They weren't in stock yet, but I got lucky and a regional Audi rep was at the dealership with his Q7 when I was there. It was impressive, and if I had made a decision on the spot, I would have bought when they arrived the next week. After the initial "wow" factor wore off, though, practicality won out. We spend lots of time in a remote area skiing, with unpaved roads, steep hills, and deep snow. I knew the GX could handle that with ease, from several years of experience. I wasn't so sure about the Q7.
Old 01-21-16, 09:52 AM
CAWjr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

When I bought my 2008 Acura MDX, I picked it for the technology and bells & whistles. That piece of **** gave me more problems than a luxury car ever should have. Half of the cool tech was the stuff that broke.

No, I will not be lured in again by the cool & hip add-ons. I went for reliability this time.
Old 01-21-16, 10:23 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

So we're comparing a 2017 model to the 2010 technology Lexus GX? Hmm...makes sense I guess.

Old 01-21-16, 10:49 AM
managerx
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up my '16 GX in December, so I had the opportunity to shop some of the newer competition. I didn't get a chance to see the new Q7 - at the time the dealer was just getting them in for test drives. I read some fist impressions from folks who had driven them - and it looks like a nice package; however, if I went with a Q7 I would want the diesel and that won't be out for a while. So I wrote it off - that and the fact that most people I know who have had Audi's have had miserable experiences with them and outside of warranty they can be murderous!

I went w/the GX because I have never had any issues with any of my previous Lexus or Toyota products. The new RX couldn't fit my dog in the trunk, let alone baby gear and "stuff". And it really reminded me of my old '98 4Runner, which I loved and way back, my parents old '88 Land Cruiser.

Would I have liked better MPG and some more modern tweaks; sure. But I am quite happy w/the GX as is.
Old 01-21-16, 02:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Q7 if you want a 21st century vehicle with 21st century disposability. Its miles ahead of the GX in every way. However once the warranty runs out, the GX will be ahead of the curve (minus the 2ndary air pump defect)
Old 01-21-16, 04:37 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CAWjr
When I bought my 2008 Acura MDX, I picked it for the technology and bells & whistles. That piece of **** gave me more problems than a luxury car ever should have. Half of the cool tech was the stuff that broke.

No, I will not be lured in again by the cool & hip add-ons. I went for reliability this time.
Right!

I happily traded our Q7 for the GX and couldn't be more satisfied. We had the TDi, and it was fun to drive and got screaming good MPG's for a 5000 lb wagon, but it spent way too much time at the dealer getting fixed, and every damn malfunction shuts the car down into limp mode and leaves you stranded. And for the size/length of the Q7, you'd think it would give you more usable interior space. Negative. The 3rd row/cargo area is a joke.
Old 01-21-16, 06:28 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So we're comparing a 2017 model to the 2010 technology Lexus GX? Hmm...makes sense I guess.

yes and no.
lexus could have easily redid the instrument cluster and added more bells and whistles to compete with other models. Just look what they did to the new LX.

i have a feeling these are the last days for the gx, unless lexus updates the model. They WILL have to scrap one of the suvs, and it wont be the RX or NX.

i just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were. Actually Audi has got much better per consumer reports in reliability and actually is on par with toyota, and ahead of subura. They came in 4th. Lexus
was number #1.

Seems most go to lexus to be trouble free. I would favor that as well. Only problem is, there is no
other decent midsize suv BOF out there. So the GX was the only choice.
Old 01-22-16, 12:37 PM
bodagetta
Driver School Candidate

would u trade the GX in for the new audi q7?
Regardless of features or technology, I wouldn't trade a 2001Pontiac Aztek for a car that looks like the Q7. I'm not even a Lexus fanboy or brand loyal at all (we currently own a Lexus, a Toyota, a Chevy, and a Nissan -- though after getting the GX, we very well may end up brand loyal to Lexus going forward) but the Q7 in that first post looks like the inbred child of a minivan and a station wagon to me at least.

If I were in the market for a crossover with cutting-edge features and technology, my choice would hands-down be the Mercedes GLE Coupe

Last edited by bodagetta; 01-22-16 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 06:39 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
yes and no.
lexus could have easily redid the instrument cluster and added more bells and whistles to compete with other models. Just look what they did to the new LX.

i have a feeling these are the last days for the gx, unless lexus updates the model. They WILL have to scrap one of the suvs, and it wont be the RX or NX.
But we're still on Gen 2...which was released in 2010. Yeah they refreshed the front end in 2014, but until Gen 3 comes out, they're not redoing the interior/technology.

The GX seems to always be the last to get on board with the rest of the lineup. Wasn't it the final model to get the spindle grille?
Old 01-24-16, 09:28 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by jtrue28
But we're still on Gen 2...which was released in 2010. Yeah they refreshed the front end in 2014, but until Gen 3 comes out, they're not redoing the interior/technology.

The GX seems to always be the last to get on board with the rest of the lineup. Wasn't it the final model to get the spindle grille?
the LX was behind even the GX until this year with all new features, but it now seems several models and perhaps even the whole line up of lexus vehicles is behind the curve. Audi seems to be light years ahead of lexus, but i am not sure i could ever buy one due to reliability issues.
Old 01-27-16, 10:57 AM
akumar1
Driver School Candidate

I am picking up a 2016 premium in 2 days. When my search began, it was not even on my short list( body on frame, low power output, old tech etc etc etc). I buy rather lease as put in a lot of miles I started looking at mildly used X5(2014 and after), ML( 2013 and after), Q7( 2012 and after) etc. I also looked at same cars with miles in 60000 range to see how these cars have aged. Used the my local CarMax. I was not happy with any of them. For reasons unknown, I sat in a LS460 and the car looked great and I asked my wife to guess how many miles was on that car, seeing wear and tear?
Her guess 35-40k. The car was a 2010 and had done 110000 miles. To confirm similar quality in GX , we test drove a 2012; it had not aged at all.

The resale value led us to buy new.
So yeah, the tech is great but I, like many bought my first body on frame, old tech, non DI powered V8, cramped and poorly equipped GX for the reasons above and I am in love.
Old 01-27-16, 03:53 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akumar1
I am picking up a 2016 premium in 2 days. When my search began, it was not even on my short list( body on frame, low power output, old tech etc etc etc). I buy rather lease as put in a lot of miles I started looking at mildly used X5(2014 and after), ML( 2013 and after), Q7( 2012 and after) etc. I also looked at same cars with miles in 60000 range to see how these cars have aged. Used the my local CarMax. I was not happy with any of them. For reasons unknown, I sat in a LS460 and the car looked great and I asked my wife to guess how many miles was on that car, seeing wear and tear?
Her guess 35-40k. The car was a 2010 and had done 110000 miles. To confirm similar quality in GX , we test drove a 2012; it had not aged at all.

The resale value led us to buy new.
So yeah, the tech is great but I, like many bought my first body on frame, old tech, non DI powered V8, cramped and poorly equipped GX for the reasons above and I am in love.
Well said Akumar. I rented a brand new 4 series BMW for a couple of weeks in France over Christmas, awesome tech. Heads up Navigation, etc. But back home in my "low tech" GX, I have peace of mind, solid as a rock.

Quick Reply: would u trade the GX in for the new audi q7?