0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 11:10 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure what the original offset on OEM wheels is. Also don't know what the clearances are, so can't recommend the offset for replacement wheels, although I think zero offset is probably not right.
Old 08-18-11, 11:15 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you.
Old 08-16-14, 12:10 PM
hikeril
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Recommendation....it's time

My wife drives a 2010 GX460 base model currently with 44,000 miles. The tires need replacing with plans to replace within the month. The vehicle does less than 1% off road and 99% highway and city driving. I know there are lots of places to obtain recommendations and even multiple posts that i have read but looking for the most current tire replacement recommendations based on recent tire replacement experience. I've decided to replace the tires rather than purchasing a new GX460, not as much fun but less expensive.
Old 08-16-14, 12:32 PM
JDSTL
Rookie

Michelin LTX MS/2. Long life, great tire all around and you'll find it comes highly recommended.
Old 08-16-14, 12:55 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This may seem a "minority report" as so many on this forum recommend the Michelin LTX MS/2, but if you already have Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires that's what I recommend you buy. Two reasons:

1. There may be an improvement to go from the latter to the former, but it is a small difference, which your wife may not realize or may not appreciate as the ride is harsher, and

2. It's cheaper to buy three new tires that match your current tires, put them and the spare "on the road" and use the least worn of the road tires as the spare.

This is what we did with our early-production 2010 GX 460 last Fall. It was done by our Lexus dealer during our annual major service while we had the use of their loaner vehicle for the time it took them do everything. There are cheaper ways to get new tires, but there are no easier ways.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. If your vehicle has any brand of tires other than Michelin, replace all of them with the Michelin LTX MS/2.
Old 08-16-14, 02:04 PM
hikeril
Driver School Candidate

Taking the spare tire and purchasing three tires is an interesting idea that I hadn't thought about in the past. I do have one tire that is less not by much of course but still i could use that as the spare purchasing three Latitude Tour HP to match the other three. Great idea!

Any concerns with the spare being 4 years old?

I will also extend my research to LTX MS/2 but as you mentioned not sure my wife would notice any difference.
Old 08-16-14, 02:15 PM
hikeril
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDSTL
Michelin LTX MS/2. Long life, great tire all around and you'll find it comes highly recommended.
On tire Rack the Michelin LTX MS/2 certainly receives better ratings. Tough decision
Old 08-16-14, 03:39 PM
JDSTL
Rookie

Originally Posted by hikeril
On tire Rack the Michelin LTX MS/2 certainly receives better ratings. Tough decision
You will probably get double the treadlife with the MS/2 over the Latitudes. If you aren't going to keep the GX for more than 40,000 more miles the 3 Latitudes are probably the way to go.
Old 08-16-14, 03:56 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSTL
You will probably get double the treadlife with the MS/2 over the Latitudes. If you aren't going to keep the GX for more than 40,000 more miles the 3 Latitudes are probably the way to go.
I had the Latitudes on my 2010 and they wore fast. I have the LTX M/S2's on my 2014. Not only will they last longer, they're much better in the snow and ice.
Old 08-16-14, 06:28 PM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone try these?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=
Old 08-16-14, 06:41 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hikeril
Any concerns with the spare being 4 years old?
If you had a flat tire and needed the spare, you would presumably continue to drive with it, especially if it was unused ... it's more dirty than worn. It has been "getting a free ride" while its four 'brothers' have been working. Think of this as getting use out of something that was included in the purchase price of the vehicle, but is as yet unused.

Tires have a finite life, but it is presumably measured in decades. The issue of "date stamping" tires was controversial, but the tire industry grudgingly complied. For a 2010 vehicle with five (5) full size original tires it is not an issue.

Note that this 'trick' only works once ... next time you will be buying four new tires and you probably should buy five to replace the spare.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-16-14, 07:01 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LTX MS/2 hands down. I've run them on 3 different vehicles, replacing the OEM tires on each vehicle with them and they have always been a much better tire in the snow and in the rain and they were much quieter and better riding than the OEM Latitudes that came on my GX. I took off my Latitudes at 20k and they had a lot of life left on them but I'm much happier with the LTX's.
Old 02-22-15, 08:46 PM
fuenfer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires

What is the forum's opinion on the best tires for the GX? I did a quick search, and couldn't find a consensus (though I'll be the first to admit my search skills are so-so).

I'm looking to replace my worn Latitude HPs and wanted to try something different - would be grateful for any advice.
Old 02-23-15, 05:31 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires

There are other lines of Michelin's that also fit your vehicle. I am somewhat biased. I never use anything but Michelin on all of my vehicles. I hear a few complaints about Goodyear. Hear pros and cons about Continental. It should come down to matching your vehicle to your type of driving. If you are all highway, or do a lot of driving off of the main roads then you choices could differ. You may have to give up a smoother ride if you want tires to handle off road driving. Check with the guys at Tire Rack.com. They offer good options most of the time.
Old 02-23-15, 05:43 AM
JDSTL
Rookie

Michelin LTX MS/2s seem to be the most popular. I swapped them at delivery and they are wearing great with 18,000 miles so far.

There are a few threads about them. Get them and you won't be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread