2017 refresh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 12:33 PM
boro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 refresh?

Hey guys,

Any word on if the 2017 GX will receive a refreshed design?

If so, when might it hit dealer showrooms?

Not finding any info via Google..

Thx
Old 11-24-15, 01:13 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

my understanding is that they will be getting rid of the gx. but no actual word from lexus about it.
Old 11-24-15, 01:14 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

My dealer told me it will no longer be offered in the US after 2016 MY.

Randy B
Old 11-24-15, 02:49 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Refresh in 2017?

I do not know about a refresh, but I definitely believe it will not be discontinued in the U.S. There are quite a number of them on the highway, and the dealer that I go to sells them quickly. Mine came directly off the truck to me. Have noticed other ones being delivered and in a few days they are gone.

I was at the dealer a couple of months ago and saw someone take possession of one right off the truck just like myself. The RX is Lexus' biggest seller. General manager stated 47% of total Lexus sales at their dealership was the RX. Stated GX sells really well. However, with the introduction of the new release of the RX, especially the F-Sport, it puts it price real close to the GX premium. So if a refresh is done it will be to upgrade heavily to push the price up. There is a big gap between GX and LX prices.
Old 11-24-15, 04:05 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
I do not know about a refresh, but I definitely believe it will not be discontinued in the U.S. There are quite a number of them on the highway, and the dealer that I go to sells them quickly. Mine came directly off the truck to me. Have noticed other ones being delivered and in a few days they are gone.

I was at the dealer a couple of months ago and saw someone take possession of one right off the truck just like myself. The RX is Lexus' biggest seller. General manager stated 47% of total Lexus sales at their dealership was the RX. Stated GX sells really well. However, with the introduction of the new release of the RX, especially the F-Sport, it puts it price real close to the GX premium. So if a refresh is done it will be to upgrade heavily to push the price up. There is a big gap between GX and LX prices.
Don't shoot the messenger. I was at the Dealer yesterday when he told me this. This was from the GM who is part owner of the Dealership, not a salesman. I will certainly miss not having the option for a GX, as the LX is very overpriced for what it is. This would put me in the market next time for a new Landcruiser, or a used LX. Either way, happy with my 2014 as it is stands, and expect to get quite a lot of miles out of it. My LS has stood up over ten years now, and I never expected to have that one for so long. The damn thing just won't beg me to sell it by breaking down, so I keep driving it.

Randy B
Old 11-24-15, 11:13 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
Don't shoot the messenger. I was at the Dealer yesterday when he told me this. This was from the GM who is part owner of the Dealership, not a salesman. I will certainly miss not having the option for a GX, as the LX is very overpriced for what it is. This would put me in the market next time for a new Landcruiser, or a used LX. Either way, happy with my 2014 as it is stands, and expect to get quite a lot of miles out of it. My LS has stood up over ten years now, and I never expected to have that one for so long. The damn thing just won't beg me to sell it by breaking down, so I keep driving it.

Randy B
well its apparently appropriately priced according to the LX forum. Its bigger, heavier, stronger, and way more tech than our GX. I will likely be selling my GX and getting the new LX next spring. I am hoping by that time the buying frenzy has faded for the LX
Old 11-25-15, 08:07 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default 2017 Refresh

What I meant by the price difference was there is plenty of room to upgrade and drive up the price on the GX, as the Base Price of GX and Base Price of LX is about $30,000. A fully loaded LX is in the area of $92,000 to $93,000 MSRP. A Luxury GX comes in around $67,000 MSRP.
Old 11-25-15, 08:12 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

What I meant by the price difference was there is plenty of room to upgrade and drive up the price on the GX, as the Base Price of GX and Base Price of LX is about $30,000. A fully loaded LX is in the area of $92,000 to $93,000 MSRP. A Luxury GX comes in around $67,000 MSRP.
More reasons to buy Land Cruiser. Just bought 2016 fully loaded (no options to choose, everything included) for $77k ($1k over invoice). MSRP went up $4-5K.

10K premium to GX is nothing.

BTW LX MSRP fully loaded went up by 4-5K for 2016 as well. It is now in $97k range

Last edited by Luke27617; 11-25-15 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-25-15, 08:17 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The next refresh should be the GX, all other model have been updated, just left the GX, it should have a new interior look, and maybe 8 speed, don't expect too much on the engine tho, stubborn Lexus/Toyota LOL

If there is a new one it should be end of the year around October 2016 since no word had been heard until now, unless they decided to discontinue the model... body on frame SUV ain't that popular anymore

Last edited by ybing; 11-25-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-27-15, 08:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Old 11-28-15, 10:15 PM
alinleung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus is not discontinuing GX

It is funny whoever claimed to be part owner of a dealership would said that to a potential customer. It doesn't take long to find out those are the ones promoting another brand.

Lexus considered changing GX back in 2009 because of rollover concern. Many misunderstood back then thinking Lexus was discontinuing GX.

Now whoever claimed talked to a dealer was a bogus claim. GX already have facelift around exterior in 2014, many thought GX was the only model not have spindle rear and the reason was simply because of the way the door was designed.
GX is designed to cater customers who like the 4-runner and Tacoma platform. That's why GX is more truck like and standard 4X4. LX is a totally different design and different level of luxury, while RX is a true crossover not designed for towing at all.
2017 GX Lexus is planning to move up the price and add more standard features, large because of Honda's (Acura) competition of standard features. However, GX will always be rugged and true sport utility to the core. The only thing is after the upgrade the new 2017 GX will be pushed towards $65K - $80K. Largely because the new 4-runner already pushed towards $44K loaded, having GX starting at $52K actually hurt 4-runner sales.
Old 11-29-15, 06:33 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default 2017 Refresh

I do not understand what the person above ;was trying to say about the person who claimed to get info from the general manager. When I lived in CA my dealer was a neighbor and the sales manager was a friend from a previous neighborhood. We often had discussions about models, changes, etc. I now live on the East Coast and through my dealer I also know the General Manager and he is also a partner in the ownership. This is a very large dealership. So why do you find it so odd that the General Manager would converse with the customer and give opinion or other info to the customer. The General Manager at my dealership is very dedicated to the business and is extremely involved in what is taking place on the sales floor. That is only good business!
Old 12-01-15, 12:39 AM
ybing
Intermediate

I do not understand what the person above ;was trying to say about the person who claimed to get info from the general manager. When I lived in CA my dealer was a neighbor and the sales manager was a friend from a previous neighborhood. We often had discussions about models, changes, etc. I now live on the East Coast and through my dealer I also know the General Manager and he is also a partner in the ownership. This is a very large dealership. So why do you find it so odd that the General Manager would converse with the customer and give opinion or other info to the customer. The General Manager at my dealership is very dedicated to the business and is extremely involved in what is taking place on the sales floor. That is only good business!
I think unless someone have deep connection with Toyota/Lexus corporate will know about future model and design, it is kind of difficult for a dealership to know more until it was release, it often the public know more about a new model quicker then the dealer because of all the spy pictures.

I still like my old GX a lot, but really wish the do some changes for a future model, the interior will need to match the new Lexus theme and the 3rd row if it could folded lower to the floor will be easier for loading stuff.

I hope they don't discontinue GX, there isn't much body on frame SUV left in the market, all switch to uni-body for lighter weight, which probably will be the trend for the future
Old 12-01-15, 05:19 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Dealers/general managers don't know anything more than customers. Lexus is pretty tight lipped about everything. They're not discontinuing the most profitable vehicle in their lineup. You have to be nuts to think otherwise.
Old 12-01-15, 07:29 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Dealers/general managers don't know anything more than customers. Lexus is pretty tight lipped about everything. They're not discontinuing the most profitable vehicle in their lineup. You have to be nuts to think otherwise.
I don't think the GX is the most profitable vehicle in the line up that should be the RX, GX sales dropped a lot in the 2nd Gen

Quick Reply: 2017 refresh?