GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2017 refresh?

Old 12-09-15, 04:21 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to remember is that the RX and GX are completely different vehicles. If you have ever driven an RX and then the GX, the difference is plain as day. There is a lot more to it than the number of seats. I usually get an RX as loaner vehicles when my GX is in for service and I cannot wait to get back in my GX. Much nicer, more quiet and luxurious. GX is like a refined truck that it tough and can go anywhere anytime and the RX is basically a car/station wagon sitting up a few inches higher, personally I have never liked them, even the new one. Sad to say but if the GX is discontinued then I will be forced to look to other brands and leave the Lexus family. The LX is too big for my needs and too expensive (although it is very, very nice and more similar to the GX but better, especially the new one). If you think about it, the LX is a niche vehicle that traditionally does not sell in high volumes here in the US, I see the GX like that but with much better sales figures and with a large profit margin. It fits a need, there needs to be something between the RX and the LX. Just my .02 cents.
Old 12-09-15, 07:42 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
One thing to remember is that the RX and GX are completely different vehicles. If you have ever driven an RX and then the GX, the difference is plain as day. There is a lot more to it than the number of seats. I usually get an RX as loaner vehicles when my GX is in for service and I cannot wait to get back in my GX. Much nicer, more quiet and luxurious. GX is like a refined truck that it tough and can go anywhere anytime and the RX is basically a car/station wagon sitting up a few inches higher, personally I have never liked them, even the new one. Sad to say but if the GX is discontinued then I will be forced to look to other brands and leave the Lexus family. The LX is too big for my needs and too expensive (although it is very, very nice and more similar to the GX but better, especially the new one). If you think about it, the LX is a niche vehicle that traditionally does not sell in high volumes here in the US, I see the GX like that but with much better sales figures and with a large profit margin. It fits a need, there needs to be something between the RX and the LX. Just my .02 cents.
Exactly.

RX has always been a smaller vehicle, but today it's essentially a car with a slight lift and upright driving position. Aside from the whole body-on-frame thing (it's quite possible to make a unibody feel like a truck), it's built on the Toyota Venza platform, which has absolutely no SUVness to it.

It seems like the only real argument against the GX is that Lexus wouldn't want any overlap between their models (i.e., 7 passenger RX so they can't have a 7 passenger GX). But this argument completely forgets that there is already a huge overlap among their entire product line. By the same argument, there would be no NX, because RX, and no GX, because LX (or vice versa). And it extends to Toyota as well. 4Runner should be completely outmoded by the Highlander, same thing with Sequoia and Land Cruiser.

If you look at other luxury brands, the market has shifted toward offering an extensive lineup of very similar cars to capture extra sales. Mercedes and BMW have well over 20 models, excluding sub models.
Old 12-09-15, 08:29 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I would argue that the Venza is built on the RX...as the Venza came out like 6 or 7 years ago.

Regardless though, the RX is NOT a true SUV. Please Lexus, don't discontinue the GX.
Old 12-09-15, 09:25 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah good point. Looking into it, they're all based on the Camry platform.

RX has gotten lower and lighter every year, to improve fuel economy and lower production cost. The 2016 RX is now some sort of fat tall car thing. This is pretty typical across the board, though.

Enough buyers want a true truck to make it worthwhile.
Old 12-09-15, 03:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Yeah good point. Looking into it, they're all based on the Camry platform.

RX has gotten lower and lighter every year, to improve fuel economy and lower production cost. The 2016 RX is now some sort of fat tall car thing. This is pretty typical across the board, though.

Enough buyers want a true truck to make it worthwhile.
The Fall tall station wagon is something called CAFE standards.

In relation to the GX, its not very appealing to the masses on its own merit. The GX only became popular after the price drop. Before that it was experiencing LXitis (aka not many buyers). Currently, the GX lures both perspective LX buyers with a lower price tag and similar capability, but also higher end RX buyers looking for more capability, better road presence, and essentially better value.

So in essence the GX standing merit is price per value ratio.

If it undergoes a refresh, its gonna slot higher, and be more expensive. Aka shoving alot of buyer elsewhere.

The RX stretched would be a perfect fit, since assembly could be done alongside the RX, and platform sharing. Plus the current GXs lack of cargo space to mass ratio (aka for a vehicle of its size, alot CUVs have a whole lot of extra room).

The good thing in all of this for Lexus is whichever way they go, its a solid win for them. Lexus GX is in a class of its own for towing and BOF features that basically only compete with the dinosaur LR4. The RX-7 seater would pretty much take the Q7, MDX, XC90, X5, GLE etc luch money
Old 12-09-15, 05:22 PM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make the RX-X the 7 seater and remove the damn 3rd row from the GX to get the cargo capacity back. Toughen up the appearance a bit and let it play the "black sheep" role in the line.

I came back to the GX after having two T4Rs - loved the size and the cargo space of them, just wanted a bit more luxury and the V8. This is the niche for the GX IMO.
Old 12-12-15, 08:41 AM
marcotulio
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i am of the opinion that as long as the prado is selling(and at least in my country is the 2nd most popular vehicle,1st being the landcruiser) they will keep making the GX. they already have a structure they can take advantage of, make it more luxurious and overcharge for it. makes sense business wise.
Old 12-13-15, 07:39 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by marcotulio
i am of the opinion that as long as the prado is selling(and at least in my country is the 2nd most popular vehicle,1st being the landcruiser) they will keep making the GX. they already have a structure they can take advantage of, make it more luxurious and overcharge for it. makes sense business wise.
Thus why they make so much money on the GX. Basic economics here folks.
Old 12-13-15, 10:30 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by marcotulio
They could stop selling the GX in the US, and offer it elsewhere, just like the prado isnt sold here (we have the 4 runner instead) . Again i doubt Toyo would stop selling this class of vehicles everywhere, especially with their world leader supply contracts.
Old 12-13-15, 10:37 AM
marcotulio
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
They could stop selling the GX in the US, and offer it elsewhere, just like the prado isnt sold here (we have the 4 runner instead) . Again i doubt Toyo would stop selling this class of vehicles everywhere, especially with their world leader supply contracts.
This is a valid point.
Just like what happened with mitsubishi montero,the 2008--> model was not imported to the US but sold in other markets.
Old 08-22-16, 10:52 AM
jamienpld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boro
Hey guys,

Any word on if the 2017 GX will receive a refreshed design?

If so, when might it hit dealer showrooms?

Not finding any info via Google..

Thx
Yes, there are some updates to the 2017 Lexus GX460. The Lexus website is updated with the new info on the 2017 Lexus GX and they should start arriving at dealerships in September. Check out more info here.
Old 08-22-16, 10:56 AM
jamienpld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus will be building a "stretched out" RX and the GX460 is being refreshed for the 2017 model year so everyone is in luck and should have lots to look forward to with the Lexus SUV model line-up!