GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

help w/decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 09:23 AM
Qx2Gx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w/decision

Hey all, it's been quite a while since I've posted on these forums but I am in the market for a new car and will probably buy within the next few months. I've always gone back and forth with the GX and am considering it amongst some other trucks that are relatively in it's class...wanted to share some concerns and get some opinions from actual owners. I'll probably be buying used, looking at '10-'12 premium models (w/the added off-road switchery). Ideally looking to spend less than $40k (less than $35k would be even better).

I'm currently driving a 3rd gen (08-09) Escalade. If money were no object, I'd go for the current model which was just redesigned (quite significantly) for model year 2015 or a 2010+ LX570. But alas, I am not looking to spend $60k+ (this is for used models!). I love the power, style and presence my Escalade offers but the 22's, the gas mileage, and the overall lack of refinement/technology is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

That being said, I am wondering if any current GX owners came from an SUV w/a power lift gate? Do you miss it? Does the barn door style get annoying? Also, the power output of the GX worries me a bit at only 301hp. My Cadillac (albeit heavier) is pushing 403hp.

Some other SUV's I'm considering are '10-'12 Range Rovers (the reliability worries me) and '14+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit (I see them everywhere as they're very common in this area which is a turnoff for me). This will be the main winter vehicle for my family (and my daily driver) so rugged/snow/off-road performance is important as is power. The RR's V8 is rated at 375hp and the Jeep (I'd go for the HEMI) is rated at 360hp. Finally, I know Lexus didn't introduce a lot of the driver assistance tech (adaptive cruise, blind spot monitor, etc) until 2013. For those of you who don't have those options, do you wish you did? The Jeep honestly offers everything that I would want but again, is just way too common in my area. It also feels like I'd be taking a "step down" after owning an Escalade and considering Lexus and Land Rover to ultimately end up w/a Jeep (vain, I know).

Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any opinions, thoughts, etc you guys as owners would be willing to share. Thanks, in advance!
Old 11-20-15, 02:02 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default help w/decision

Can't tell you what you want, but do some research on car forums and google. The Jeeps are rated among the worst for reliability and resale value. They absolutely stink in reliability. Know a few people including a relative who have late model (14) Escalade's. They are somewhat problematic and the interior is full of plastic and does not compare to any Lexus in refinement. The 301 hp performs well and SUV's are not built for speed and driving a 4 WD over 80 mph is not recommended because in an emergency manuever you are subjected to a rollover with the higher center of gravity. Also, the 2015 Escalade optioned out is stickered around $95,000. If you do any off road, virtually nothing can compare to a GX.
Old 11-20-15, 08:12 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will suggest you to test drive the GX460. If you like it, I would say that you should try to get one with new face (14+model). I dont know how the domestic can get the rated 400+HP. I bet GX460 feels a little more powerful than your Cadillac.

Power lift gate is surely more convenient, but for people with hands, barn door is no deal breaker.

Range Rovers, I would suggest to get current gen models. If the big one still costs too much, Range Rover Sport can also work. Spend good money on dated generation model is laughable to me.

Jeep is blue collar brand, driven by low taste people. I would avoid at all cost.
Old 11-21-15, 10:56 AM
dadc4s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A new Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with the Hemi V8 is about 54K, not sure how that qualifies as a “blue collar” purchase. They are really nice cars and totally loaded with a high end stereo, nice leather on everything, full alcnantara headliner, laser cruise control, etc etc. They are very nice to drive and I think are very handsome and their entertainment/nav/communications interface is superior to that in the GX.. I did not buy one because they have very poor reliability records and the dealers can't come close to the service level you get with Lexus. I love my GX, and knowing it will be durable and reliable for many years to come made it much easier to write that check.
Old 11-22-15, 11:46 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Less than 40k for a 2012 may be a bit of a stretch (at least with low miles), but it is possible for an 11 or 10. The 2010-2013 GX is not much better than your current Escalade in terms of technology aside from off-road equipment. Adaptive cruise control with Lane Keep Assist and cameras on front, rear and both sides was a special order option for 2010-2013, so odds are you won't find one with it. 2014+ was available with blind spot and had an updated (gen 8) nav screen (vs. gen 6 2010-2013, not a huge difference) and LED headlights (vs HID). I personally prefer HIDs as you can swap bulbs to combat lumen depreciation and also change color temperatures if so desired. With LED, you have to replace the entire housing. The LED DRL's do look better than the half power halogens though. I have no regrets having a 2012 vs a 2014. Blind spot monitering doesn't matter at all (I have mirrors for that and feel that cars with blindspot get annoying because of that constantly blinking light in the mirror). Gen 8 vs gen 6 nav is irrelevant. As stated above, I prefer HID to LED.

Coming from an Escalade, it is important to realize that the GX is a smaller vehicle (2-3 inches narrower) and has less room in the 3rd row (due to solid rear axle setup, will only seat 2 people). If that is not acceptable, then you should be considering an LX/ Land Cruiser or perhaps even a Toyota Sequoia over a GX.

The gas mileage on the GX is pretty bad as well. It is still a big body-on-frame SUV. Expect 16-17 combined.

Having an RX with a power liftgate, the swing gate on the GX is not a problem at all. It is not a problem, it is just different. Although, I imagine it can be problematic if you have to parallel park often (which I don't, as I am in Oklahoma), as it swings out the wrong way. The door is hinged on the right, instead of on the left like it should be for USDM.

Engine power is not a concern. It is fine for the vehicle size and weight. Of course, it's not fast by any means, but it is not supposed to be. It still has adequate passing power. If you want fast, buy a sports car.

If you are planning to keep the car for a long time, check out http://tradeinqualityindex.com/ and click on Lexus. The GX is the second most reliable vehicle in their database, with the Land Cruiser/LX being #1 and the LS being #3.

As far as off road performance is concerned, the vehicle is very capable. The GX is basically the USDM version of the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado in a suit. The GX platform is based off the Land Cruiser. The platform designation for the GX is actually LC-150, LC being short for Land Cruiser. This platform is shared with the Lexus GX, Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, and (5th gen) Toyota 4Runner. It is essentially a "light duty" Land Cruiser. A good analogy that I have often seen used is the GX is built like a half ton, and the Land Cruiser is built like a 3/4 ton. For more off-roading information about the GX, check out http://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/150-series-toyotas.300/ I hope this information helps. If you have any further questions, just post a reply or feel free to PM me.

Happy car shopping! Be sure to let us know what you decide on (with pictures, of course)!