GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New 2016 GX 460 owner here

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 05:26 PM
CAWjr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default New 2016 GX 460 owner here

My new 2016 GX gets delivered this week. I'm passing my 2006 4Runner Limited to my wife & we are trading in her 2008 Acura MDX.

The truck is black with sepia interior. I got the Premium package with a few other extras that typically come standard with a Premium build. There is no tow hitch, so I ordered a
Curt Hitch Curt Hitch
that I will mount myself. I also bought a
Go Rhino hitch step Go Rhino hitch step
that I have used on my 4Runner & I love for both protection & functionality.

The only thing I am not getting with the truck that I wish I was is a cargo area tonneau cover. I have read that it's $150 as an option when you order, but $300+ as an aftermarket accessory. I'm going to try & see if I can get one from the dealer before I take delivery.

What are some other options or accessories that I should consider? Is there anything I should be aware of about the truck? I'm starting to explore these forums, so I am sure I will learn a lot from that. I was just curious if there were a few key things for a newbie to know.

Thanks for all the help & advice.
Old 11-07-15, 08:14 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New 2016 GX owner here

You should have got your options/etc while dealing on the price, as you could have gotten a good discount on most of those items. Once you signed a contract your leverage is pretty much gone.
Old 11-08-15, 05:53 AM
lulugirl89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on your dealer. As they did the 'delivery wash' and gas fill up I asked for all weather cargo mat and some accessory odds and ends and they were very accommodating. It never hurts to ask.

Having said that- all weather mats would be good to ask for.
Old 11-08-15, 01:18 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have the cross-bars on the roof.
And, trunk mat if not in the package.
Old 11-08-15, 05:32 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default New 2016 Owner

I do not know what model GX you have. I have the Luxury version and Carpeted mats and All weather mats came standard. I was there when it came off the truck from the port and saw them in the back of the vehicle. Also, comes with the tonneau cover, which I personally never use and took out to create more space in the rear. There was no additional charge for the second set of mats. I also had the full front end clear bra and the clear door guards. These were aftermarket clear bra which the dealer's subcontractor installed. Otherwise, the vehicle had all of the options that I wanted.

As far as crossbars on the GX I cannot say, but on the 4RUNNER they create a lot of wind noise unless you have the front one moved back behind the sunroof. Might want to test drive one that has them installed.
Old 11-09-15, 06:45 AM
CAWjr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm getting the Premium, not the luxury. The carpeted floor & cargo mats don't come standard, but they are included with the options I got on my truck.

after thinking it over, I think I am going to skip the tonneau cover. We got the GX because we will use the 3rd row a decent amount. We got the tonneau cover in my wife's MDX & it spent more time in our garage because there is no easy way to stow it in the truck with the third row in use. While I use the tonneau cover religiously in my 4Runner, I feel like it won;t be used the same way in the GX when I have to take it out so much.

I thought about the all weather mats, but I live in Atlanta, so the worst I need to worry about is some rain. No snow or anything.

The roof rail crossbars on my 4Runner don't make any noise. There are stickers that tell you the optimal position to reduce noise & I just leave them there. I don't have an immediate use for the crossbars on the GX, so I will likely wait until that need arises and I will upgrade at that time.

The clear bra & the door edge guards are two things I did not think about. I will ask them about getting those. The edge guards at a minimum because with a 5 & 8 year old, they have a tendency to throw the doors open at times (though they are usually really good about being careful).
Old 11-09-15, 02:13 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Congratulations! I never use the cargo cover it was the first thing I removed from my 2010 and 2014 GX it takes up too much space. I have the Weather Tech cargo mat and factory all weather floor mats. I wouldn't waste money on the carpet cargo mat just get the all weather cargo mat.
Old 11-09-15, 03:10 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the All Weather Trunk Mat. The OEM one is in two pieces. So when using the third row, you still have a small part of the trunk with a mat.
Old 11-10-15, 06:01 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by krazykrnbo
Get the All Weather Trunk Mat. The OEM one is in two pieces. So when using the third row, you still have a small part of the trunk with a mat.
Really? I honestly haven't even taken that stuff out of the plastic. I have the luxury and they gave me an abundance of all different types of mats. Also the tonneau cover. I want to be able to use the 3rd row seats at the drop of a hat, so I didn't put any of those mats in the back. However, if they're split so that the seats can go up and down, then I may put that in...

Now that I think about it, I don't think the OEM all-weather cargo mat is split at all....it's rolled up in my basement. I would have noticed if it was two pieces.
Old 11-10-15, 06:49 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

LOL yea its two pieces. Ill post a pic later today

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Really? I honestly haven't even taken that stuff out of the plastic. I have the luxury and they gave me an abundance of all different types of mats. Also the tonneau cover. I want to be able to use the 3rd row seats at the drop of a hat, so I didn't put any of those mats in the back. However, if they're split so that the seats can go up and down, then I may put that in...

Now that I think about it, I don't think the OEM all-weather cargo mat is split at all....it's rolled up in my basement. I would have noticed if it was two pieces.
Old 11-10-15, 06:17 PM
lulugirl89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's 2 pieces that snap together. They roll them in one piece.
Old 11-12-15, 09:49 AM
Bluto
Driver

Originally Posted by CAWjr

The roof rail crossbars on my 4Runner don't make any noise. There are stickers that tell you the optimal position to reduce noise & I just leave them there. I don't have an immediate use for the crossbars on the GX, so I will likely wait until that need arises and I will upgrade at that time.

The clear bra & the door edge guards are two things I did not think about. I will ask them about getting those. The edge guards at a minimum because with a 5 & 8 year old, they have a tendency to throw the doors open at times (though they are usually really good about being careful).
The Lexus crossbars sit very close to the roof and don't work with cargo boxes. They might be fine snow or bike mounts.

You might want to look for an xpel or 3m paint protection installer. Most will want the vehicle overnight. I tired to have the dealer install it for convenience & a Lexus loaner. The body shop did the work (most likely contracted out), and they just could not make it happen. Results at your dealer may be different. Check the prices, Lexus might be $100s more.
Old 11-12-15, 11:56 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

The bigger section is where the third row is. the smaller section is the room remaining when the third row seat goes up

Old 11-12-15, 12:51 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

So yeah, it's not really going to be easy to move that stuff around if you need to use the 3rd row seats. I'll leave it as is.
Old 11-17-15, 11:24 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by CAWjr
Thanks for all the replies!
I don't have an immediate use for the crossbars on the GX, so I will likely wait until that need arises and I will upgrade at that time.
I bought the Cross bars just for LOOK.....no wind noises at all...

Please take pictures of the Curt hitch and the Step..Thanks.

Quick Reply: New 2016 GX 460 owner here