GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Trying to decide between GX460 and Land Cruiser

Old 09-26-15, 02:14 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide between GX460 and Land Cruiser

Hi, new to the forum. I searched towing threads and found a little info, but would like to get some fresh replies for my specific dilemma.

I currently have a 2004 V8 4Runner. It has easily been the best vehicle I've ever owned. We are at 160,000 miles on it and are looking to upgrade a bit. After my experience with that vehicle, I have a lot of Toyota brand loyalty.

We tow a 3500 lb Airstream trailer in Colorado, so up lots of hills at altitude. The 4Runner is slightly underpowered going up the steep hills, but not significantly bad. I just worry that I am taxing the vehicle a little too much. We also do some light off-roading from time to time when accessing remote hiking trails, but nothing major.

I have narrowed down my choices to either a Land Cruiser or a GX460. We drove the Sequoia and thought it was just too massive. I would likely buy either one a year or two old. The cost saving on the GX is compelling. Would rather not spend the extra money if I don't have to, but I can afford either. I plan to keep the vehicle for at least 10 years so a few thousand bucks isn't going to ruin or make my day either way.

Concerns with the GX:
  1. Will it tow any better than my 4Runner? Horsepower rating on the engine is much higher, but torque rating is about the same. Tow rating is 6500 lbs versus the 7500 on my 4Runner and the 8500 on the Land Cruiser.
  2. Not sure I am a fan of the side hinged back door. Would love to hear what people think of it.

Concerns with the Land Cruiser:
  1. Is it worth the extra money for the 5.7?
  2. Not available with all the driver assist safety features that I can get with the GX.
  3. Size. We like a little smaller vehicle. We live in the city.
  4. I much prefer the fold flat 3rd row in the GX to the Land Cruiser fold up 3rd row.

The towing and off-road use is really 2% of the time. Majority use will be around the city hauling kids and dog. Is it worth going for the Land Cruiser for the extra beef on the weekends that I need it?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any input.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-26-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 03:08 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 5.7 on LC200 will ease things alot when towing, but it will also drink alot more gas.
I dont know the parking spaces around you, I wouldn't own a vehicle that LC size if living in the city.
T4R & LC are great vehicles, however, once you are spoiled by their Lexus cousins, you will probably never look back.
Old 09-26-15, 03:47 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

I certainly understand the luxury aspect. It's less of a decision making factor for me on this vehicle. Utility is first and foremost here. I just sold my Audi S4 to make room for this because I can't bring myself to get rid of the 4Runner. Love that truck too much and will probably keep it until it explodes. I hardly drive anymore so the Audi didn't seem at all practical. My wife can have the new vehicle and I will keep the 4Runner and put 10 miles a week on it.
Old 09-27-15, 05:30 AM
UPTHECREEK
Driver School Candidate

SkyDog , Just my 2 cents........... I'm sure you would be impressed with the difference between the two vehicles.
I retired last year and ordered a new boat to travel with and chose the 2015 GX for my tow vehicle. I wanted body on frame 4WD with low range. It does a great job !! and I love the V8 power.... As far as the rear door the swing out is not a big deal to me. I find myself using the pop up glass alot. Good luck !!!!!!

Last edited by UPTHECREEK; 09-27-15 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 06:30 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's my $.02 worth. I came out of several Ford Expeditions and an Acura MDX, after the last Expedition was Lemoned. I was dealing on two vehicles when I decided to retire the MDX; 2013 LandCruiser (Left over) or order a 2014 GX460. More or less same money at the time. After driving both and looking at both capabilities, it really came down to size more than anything.

We didn't need a LC sized vehicle any longer. I wanted the capabilities of it, however I just did not need the size anymore. The tow capability of the GX is more than adequate for us. Now, I live in the land of flat (roads that is, we have plenty of cosmetic surgeons here). So I'm not pulling anything up and down mountains.

What I can offer though is this. The LC has the goofy half spilt tailgate hatch. The GX has the goofy side hinged door. Both are not ideal, yet I have learned to live with the side hinged door more easily then I expected. The third row seats in the LC suck when they are not used. As all of your cargo is on display when shopping. At least with the GX you have the tonneau cover that does just that, covers everything.

Additionally the GX is much easier to get around a city and parallel park than the LC. Either way I don't think you will be unhappy. It really gets down to your size toleration and expectation.

In the end we ordered the GX and haven't looked back.

Randy B
Old 09-27-15, 10:41 AM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.

For those of you that have hooked up a trailer, can you open the back door with a trailer connected? Seems like you wouldn't be able to.

Also, has anyone on here switched from the GX470 to the GX460. I'm curious as to thoughts on the engine since the 470 was the same engine as my 4Runner.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-15, 11:50 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd go with the Land Cruiser, its not that much bigger IMO vs the GX. Bigger engine, and it doesn't have that goofy side swing door. I actually like the tailgate on the Land Cruiser, gives you a nice place to sit.
Old 09-27-15, 03:40 PM
westtx28
10th Gear

SkyDog77, I too am a Toyota brand loyalist. Toyota has earned it with me and since I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them I now have a small fleet. Luckily I live out in the country and have the space. In my garage right now I have a Land Cruiser, and old 4Runner and a new GX we recently purchased. I have towed with the Land Cruiser and much bigger loads than I should have with the old trusty 4Runner although most of my heavy duty towing is done with a Tundra. I didn't bother getting the towing receiver on the GX.

You ask if it's worth going with the Land Cruiser for the "extra beef" for your weekend recreation. I think as far as the 4.7 vs 4.6 is concerned the answer is no. I can't say that definitively because the GX is the 1st 4.6 I've owned and obviously haven't towed with it but I can't help but believe the GX will handle your Airstream just fine. If you towed 10x more than you do than I think it would be a bigger concern but the drivetrain in these trucks are very durable and don't need to be treated with kid gloves. You might consider servicing the transfer case and transmission fluids as the manual suggests if towing although I never have.

I think the biggest consideration for you is size for your normal everyday use of the vehicle. The fold flat 3rd row in the GX is most definitely better than the LC but only practical for small children. A teenager or adult isn't going to be super comfy in the back of the LC but at least it's not torture. We got to where we always keep the 3rd row up in the LC and down in GX. If the 3rd row isn't a factor then it's cargo space and general room. The jump seats do take up quite a bit of space in the LC so I'd probably call it a toss-up there. There obviously is more elbow room and stretch out space in the LC. I actually think drive-ability is pretty close between the two in terms of u-turns and tight spaces in parking lots and such. I hate driving my Tundra because it is so long and has an atrocious turning radius. I absolutely love driving my 3rd generation 4runner because I can squeeze that baby between anything and never look back. The LC and GX feel similar in between. Your 4th gen 4runner is bigger and closer to the GX so you will feel right at home in that thing.

As far as the side hinged back door in concerned I think it's stupid although my wife seems to like it. We bought my daughter a Rav4 with the same barn door design and I guess they got use to it. My wife never dropped the bottom door when putting bags of groceries in the LC and felt like she had to lift up and over. On the GX she said she can open it a bit and go straight in. Whatever, all I know is if you open the door all the way and look at the vehicle from the side it looks freaking ridiculous. I actually like the double clam doors on the LC and as was mentioned in a previous reply I find it a nice place to sit. Kinda like the bed of a pickup.

The driver safety features you mentioned are nice. We got the premium package so don't have the things specific to the driver support package available on the luxury. What we did get I really like specifically the blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, and parking assist.

Ultimately you are considering two awesome trucks so how can you go wrong. To me the Land Cruiser is a utilitarian tank that just oozes coolness. Dump regular gas in it and go through anything. The GX is, well, a Lexus. We looked at the most loaded up 4WD 4runner you could get and after getting in the GX it was a pretty easy decision. Even with the Prado door.

Last edited by westtx28; 09-27-15 at 03:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-27-15, 04:50 PM
UPTHECREEK
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd go with the Land Cruiser, its not that much bigger IMO vs the GX. Bigger engine, and it doesn't have that goofy side swing door. I actually like the tailgate on the Land Cruiser, gives you a nice place to sit.
"Yea not that much bigger" but ONLY $ 30,015 difference in base price.
2015 GX $ 50,140
2015 LC $ 80,155
Old 09-27-15, 10:01 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by westtx28
SkyDog77, I too am a Toyota brand loyalist. Toyota has earned it with me and since I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them I now have a small fleet. Luckily I live out in the country and have the space. In my garage right now I have a Land Cruiser, and old 4Runner and a new GX we recently purchased. I have towed with the Land Cruiser and much bigger loads than I should have with the old trusty 4Runner although most of my heavy duty towing is done with a Tundra. I didn't bother getting the towing receiver on the GX.

You ask if it's worth going with the Land Cruiser for the "extra beef" for your weekend recreation. I think as far as the 4.7 vs 4.6 is concerned the answer is no. I can't say that definitively because the GX is the 1st 4.6 I've owned and obviously haven't towed with it but I can't help but believe the GX will handle your Airstream just fine. If you towed 10x more than you do than I think it would be a bigger concern but the drivetrain in these trucks are very durable and don't need to be treated with kid gloves. You might consider servicing the transfer case and transmission fluids as the manual suggests if towing although I never have.

I think the biggest consideration for you is size for your normal everyday use of the vehicle. The fold flat 3rd row in the GX is most definitely better than the LC but only practical for small children. A teenager or adult isn't going to be super comfy in the back of the LC but at least it's not torture. We got to where we always keep the 3rd row up in the LC and down in GX. If the 3rd row isn't a factor then it's cargo space and general room. The jump seats do take up quite a bit of space in the LC so I'd probably call it a toss-up there. There obviously is more elbow room and stretch out space in the LC. I actually think drive-ability is pretty close between the two in terms of u-turns and tight spaces in parking lots and such. I hate driving my Tundra because it is so long and has an atrocious turning radius. I absolutely love driving my 3rd generation 4runner because I can squeeze that baby between anything and never look back. The LC and GX feel similar in between. Your 4th gen 4runner is bigger and closer to the GX so you will feel right at home in that thing.

As far as the side hinged back door in concerned I think it's stupid although my wife seems to like it. We bought my daughter a Rav4 with the same barn door design and I guess they got use to it. My wife never dropped the bottom door when putting bags of groceries in the LC and felt like she had to lift up and over. On the GX she said she can open it a bit and go straight in. Whatever, all I know is if you open the door all the way and look at the vehicle from the side it looks freaking ridiculous. I actually like the double clam doors on the LC and as was mentioned in a previous reply I find it a nice place to sit. Kinda like the bed of a pickup.

The driver safety features you mentioned are nice. We got the premium package so don't have the things specific to the driver support package available on the luxury. What we did get I really like specifically the blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, and parking assist.

Ultimately you are considering two awesome trucks so how can you go wrong. To me the Land Cruiser is a utilitarian tank that just oozes coolness. Dump regular gas in it and go through anything. The GX is, well, a Lexus. We looked at the most loaded up 4WD 4runner you could get and after getting in the GX it was a pretty easy decision. Even with the Prado door.

]
Thank you for the great post! Definitely some great food for thought.

I was totally set on the Land Cruiser until I drove the GX last week. It checks most of the boxes. Glad to hear your wife likes the rear door. I'm having a lot of issues getting past it. I like the Land Cruiser rear door a lot. The small tail gate makes sense.

I was actually doing some reading on removing one of the Land Cruiser rear seats so that it wasn't in there taking up space. The GX is much better in that regard.

To your point though, I'm not going to be unhappy with either one. Thanks again for taking to time to respond. Very helpful.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-28-15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-28-15, 11:35 AM
GBSGX
Driver School Candidate

Maybe a little late with this response. But several years back I owned an LX 470 and for every day driving & practicality I prefer my GX 460. I know your question is in reference to towing, but it's something to consider.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-28-15, 10:55 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GBSGX
Maybe a little late with this response. But several years back I owned an LX 470 and for every day driving & practicality I prefer my GX 460. I know your question is in reference to towing, but it's something to consider.
Good luck with your decision.
Not at all too late. I'm traveling so much I haven't had time to buy a new car.

Thanks for the input. This is quite helpful and relevant.
Old 09-29-15, 06:54 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded my 2005 4Runner V8 for the '15 GX460. I compared a new 4Runner, used 14-15 GX, and the 09-11 LX.

The new 4Runner was great, but the GX was a better vehicle all around. I also tow a +6000 boat and trailer. The V6 was not going to work.

Toyota is now using SAE tow ratings which take about 6% off previous ratings. The V6 4Runner changed from 5000 to 4700. If there was a 2015 V8 4Runner, it would probably be 7000 pounds. The GX is about 400 pounds more than the 4Runner, hence the 6500 rating. I think the way Toyota rates horsepower/torque has also changed since 2005.

I towed with the stock X-REAS and a 2" Bilstein 5100 setup on the 4Runner. The GX is better, but not leaps and bounds. The 4.6 is smoother, seems to have more power down low. The transmission is great. The KDSS controls sway and handles very well. However the hitch is lower on the GX. I may need a different swivel jack on my trailer.

I could not open the 4Runner hatch or GX door with a trailer attached. Both have rear window access. I don't mind the door. However the door will suck in the rain. The 4Runner hatch made for nice cover. The LX rear hatch and gate is the best setup (my opinion).

I liked the LC/LX the most, it was too big and heavy for the wife. We drove the 6000 lb LX. If felt like a land yacht in the corners. I still thought it was great to drive, the 5.7 had so much power. I would get the LX over the LC, the AHC suspension and extra standard features (driver assist, side cameras, etc.) are worth it (depending on model year).

The LX side folding 3rd row is different, but works. You have to see it in person. It keeps the cargo floor low. The flat 3rd row in the GX raises the cargo floor up, about 6" above the bumper. The GX 2nd row seat backs fold, but do not tumble (like the 4Runner). The LX 2nd row tumbles forward. It makes the 3rd row easy to access (almost like a minivan) and provides much more total cargo area than the GX. The GX 3rd row is hard to access and not suitable for many passengers.

Try to find a dealer with the GX and LX in stock, drive both, park them side by side, and test them out.
Old 09-29-15, 07:17 AM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bluto
I traded my 2005 4Runner V8 for the '15 GX460. I compared a new 4Runner, used 14-15 GX, and the 09-11 LX.

The new 4Runner was great, but the GX was a better vehicle all around. I also tow a +6000 boat and trailer. The V6 was not going to work.

Toyota is now using SAE tow ratings which take about 6% off previous ratings. The V6 4Runner changed from 5000 to 4700. If there was a 2015 V8 4Runner, it would probably be 7000 pounds. The GX is about 400 pounds more than the 4Runner, hence the 6500 rating. I think the way Toyota rates horsepower/torque has also changed since 2005.

I towed with the stock X-REAS and a 2" Bilstein 5100 setup on the 4Runner. The GX is better, but not leaps and bounds. The 4.6 is smoother, seems to have more power down low. The transmission is great. The KDSS controls sway and handles very well. However the hitch is lower on the GX. I may need a different swivel jack on my trailer.

I could not open the 4Runner hatch or GX door with a trailer attached. Both have rear window access. I don't mind the door. However the door will suck in the rain. The 4Runner hatch made for nice cover. The LX rear hatch and gate is the best setup (my opinion).

I liked the LC/LX the most, it was too big and heavy for the wife. We drove the 6000 lb LX. If felt like a land yacht in the corners. I still thought it was great to drive, the 5.7 had so much power. I would get the LX over the LC, the AHC suspension and extra standard features (driver assist, side cameras, etc.) are worth it (depending on model year).

The LX side folding 3rd row is different, but works. You have to see it in person. It keeps the cargo floor low. The flat 3rd row in the GX raises the cargo floor up, about 6" above the bumper. The GX 2nd row seat backs fold, but do not tumble (like the 4Runner). The LX 2nd row tumbles forward. It makes the 3rd row easy to access (almost like a minivan) and provides much more total cargo area than the GX. The GX 3rd row is hard to access and not suitable for many passengers.

Try to find a dealer with the GX and LX in stock, drive both, park them side by side, and test them out.
This is great! Exactly the post I was looking for.

So for you, the ultimate decision came down to the size?

We have driven both, but not side by side. GX definitely seemed more familiar. We drove the LC side by side with a Sequoia, and maybe in doing that we set ourselves up to love it because the Sequioa was so enormous.

I think this is good advice and we will head back over to Lexus and drive the LX with the GX.
Old 09-30-15, 11:12 AM
bodagetta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UPTHECREEK
SkyDog , Just my 2 cents........... I'm sure you would be impressed with the difference between the two vehicles.
I retired last year and ordered a new boat to travel with and chose the 2015 GX for my tow vehicle. I wanted body on frame 4WD with low range. It does a great job !! and I love the V8 power.... As far as the rear door the swing out is not a big deal to me. I find myself using the pop up glass alot. Good luck !!!!!!
Having just recently purchased a new GX about a month ago, my wife and I test drove the GX and 4Runner back-to-back on the same afternoon and I would suggest doing the same. While I really, really like the older 4Runners, I just wasn't all that thrilled with the interior of the new ones. I know you mentioned specifically that utility is the primary factor in this case so you may be less concerned, but the 4Runner cabin just felt like a significantly smaller interior (even though I'm sure it really is not) based on lots of plastic materials and seemingly smaller windows. We were sold on the GX the moment we did that comparison.

With all that said, I do really wish Toyota/Lexus would add the roll-down back window to the GX. I know it's a unique 4Runner feature (and probably will always be exclusive due to how iconic it is) but I do love the idea of having a roll down back window on a GX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to decide between GX460 and Land Cruiser