GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Trying to decide between GX460 and Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 11:29 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyDog77
This is great! Exactly the post I was looking for.

So for you, the ultimate decision came down to the size?

We have driven both, but not side by side. GX definitely seemed more familiar. We drove the LC side by side with a Sequoia, and maybe in doing that we set ourselves up to love it because the Sequioa was so enormous.

I think this is good advice and we will head back over to Lexus and drive the LX with the GX.
It came down to size. The LX was a few inches more here and there. Not much on paper, too much in person.
Old 10-01-15, 11:39 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 581 Likes on 352 Posts

Sounds like you have a good decision to make. LC or GX... geese, tough life.. haha.. all joking aside, in a few years my wife and I will have the same decision to make and I've already started the comparison.

If you can afford either, I'd urge you not to lose track of the primary purpose for which you're looking to upgrade from the 4Runner, sounds like towing to me. The LC beats the GX in this category. and since you can afford either (I'm guessing gas prices or mpg don't matter that much).... While I'm sure either will feel and drive great, I think it'd be a shame to buy a GX only to realize it doesn't quite fit the bill in the towing category (heaven forbid you look to upsize the airstream/ campter in the future...).

My point here is, sometimes buying a slightly more capable vehicle is the best solution. I don't say this to bash the GX, great vehicle and size wise nearly identical to the LC (within inches of eachother in exterior dimensions actually), but the LC does the function better for which you are vehicle shopping.

Other features that are important to me that shouldn't be overlooked if you do any sort of offroading are ground clearance and approach and departure angles. The LC easily beats the GX in both these categories (and being in CO I'm guessing this is somewhat important to you, the offroad capbilty out of the box).. lastly, with regards to offroad capability, you should determine if you need/want CRAWL control. I personally will never buy a SUV without it. It is available on the upper end GX as a package and that puts the price of the GX at 67K, CRAWL control comes standard on the LC (and 4Runner Trail and new Tacoma now as well)...

Lastly, I believe both V8's now use timing chains so no more timing belt replacements for matinenance are required for consideration... Other than that, both are rock solid reliable BOF SUV's with ridiculously high resale values.

good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 10-01-15, 04:16 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Sounds like you have a good decision to make. LC or GX... geese, tough life.. haha.. all joking aside, in a few years my wife and I will have the same decision to make and I've already started the comparison.

If you can afford either, I'd urge you not to lose track of the primary purpose for which you're looking to upgrade from the 4Runner, sounds like towing to me. The LC beats the GX in this category. and since you can afford either (I'm guessing gas prices or mpg don't matter that much).... While I'm sure either will feel and drive great, I think it'd be a shame to buy a GX only to realize it doesn't quite fit the bill in the towing category (heaven forbid you look to upsize the airstream/ campter in the future...).

My point here is, sometimes buying a slightly more capable vehicle is the best solution. I don't say this to bash the GX, great vehicle and size wise nearly identical to the LC (within inches of eachother in exterior dimensions actually), but the LC does the function better for which you are vehicle shopping.

Other features that are important to me that shouldn't be overlooked if you do any sort of offroading are ground clearance and approach and departure angles. The LC easily beats the GX in both these categories (and being in CO I'm guessing this is somewhat important to you, the offroad capbilty out of the box).. lastly, with regards to offroad capability, you should determine if you need/want CRAWL control. I personally will never buy a SUV without it. It is available on the upper end GX as a package and that puts the price of the GX at 67K, CRAWL control comes standard on the LC (and 4Runner Trail and new Tacoma now as well)...

Lastly, I believe both V8's now use timing chains so no more timing belt replacements for matinenance are required for consideration... Other than that, both are rock solid reliable BOF SUV's with ridiculously high resale values.

good luck and let us know what you decide.
Thank you. I'll be back in town for a couple of weeks and plan to sit down and get this figured out. Thanks for the post and will definitely post some pics up when I do decide.
Old 10-03-15, 08:15 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of approaching the same question but from a different background.

GX vs LC???

I have had three LCs since 1991...1991 first "new" generation (needed better engine and transmission)/1994 (210K miles)...and current 2004 (168K miles currently). It has been a joy to own such a fine vehicle and they have served my needs exceptionally well. Also have gone up in price from high $20K for the 1991, about $40K for the 1994, to over $60K for the 2004...and now MSRP $80K+ a bit for 2015. Getting harder to justify the entry price

I am working very hard to bring myself to a lower price, body on frame, full-time AWD utility vehicle...at less than $70-$80K. I have concluded that in my case the GX is probably my best and only alternative. Partly because of its design and features...and partly because it would allow me to "feel" pretty much the same at the wheel. After 24 years and almost 500K miles in essentially the "same" LC...all my driving senses are que'd to the LC basic

BTW...I strongly prefer the LC split back gate to the "door" on the GX. As other have said I too use the short lower gate as a work bench and a seat. Plus...it does open with trailers of various sizes. One downside...as I get older (68)...I do find myself getting irritated when I load a very heavy tool box and have to reach it forward over even the small gate to get it well into the LC bed. Guess that is not the LC fault I would probably prefer a single lift gate but I am confident I would not "prefer" the GX Big Door.

All the above aside...my guess is I will end up looking for a '16/'15'14' brand new LC for around $70K. There are '14s out there and soon '15s will start to drop price. Try auto trader for national search. I keep them a long time and likely will not want to "change".

BTW...I DO like the new '16 LC. Also not real interested in Lexus LC...LX No need for air suspension and $80 MSRP is bad enough vs $92K LX. Also, the LC has all the luxury and feature I need.

While I imagine you would be fine with a GX...I can confidently tell you you would LOVE an LC...TMR
Old 10-05-15, 11:39 AM
BlackGX460
Driver School Candidate

I went from the GX470 to a GX460 about a year and a half ago. I've used it to go off-roading and tow a few times. Nothing like the mountains up in CO through. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 10-06-15, 02:59 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Kind of approaching the same question but from a different background.

GX vs LC???

I have had three LCs since 1991...1991 first "new" generation (needed better engine and transmission)/1994 (210K miles)...and current 2004 (168K miles currently). It has been a joy to own such a fine vehicle and they have served my needs exceptionally well. Also have gone up in price from high $20K for the 1991, about $40K for the 1994, to over $60K for the 2004...and now MSRP $80K+ a bit for 2015. Getting harder to justify the entry price

I am working very hard to bring myself to a lower price, body on frame, full-time AWD utility vehicle...at less than $70-$80K. I have concluded that in my case the GX is probably my best and only alternative. Partly because of its design and features...and partly because it would allow me to "feel" pretty much the same at the wheel. After 24 years and almost 500K miles in essentially the "same" LC...all my driving senses are que'd to the LC basic

BTW...I strongly prefer the LC split back gate to the "door" on the GX. As other have said I too use the short lower gate as a work bench and a seat. Plus...it does open with trailers of various sizes. One downside...as I get older (68)...I do find myself getting irritated when I load a very heavy tool box and have to reach it forward over even the small gate to get it well into the LC bed. Guess that is not the LC fault I would probably prefer a single lift gate but I am confident I would not "prefer" the GX Big Door.

All the above aside...my guess is I will end up looking for a '16/'15'14' brand new LC for around $70K. There are '14s out there and soon '15s will start to drop price. Try auto trader for national search. I keep them a long time and likely will not want to "change".

BTW...I DO like the new '16 LC. Also not real interested in Lexus LC...LX No need for air suspension and $80 MSRP is bad enough vs $92K LX. Also, the LC has all the luxury and feature I need.

While I imagine you would be fine with a GX...I can confidently tell you you would LOVE an LC...TMR
Thank you! I'm leaning that way right now.
Old 10-06-15, 03:01 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackGX460
I went from the GX470 to a GX460 about a year and a half ago. I've used it to go off-roading and tow a few times. Nothing like the mountains up in CO through. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Love to hear any input you have on the strength of the engine differences. Thanks!
Old 10-06-15, 07:07 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Hello Club Lexus --

Is anyone interested in an off-road trip to George Washington National Forrest to drive the Peter's Mill Run trail in mid/late November or December? I have done this trail a few times and a stock GX will have no problem with a little concentration. If anyone is interested in seeing pictures from previous runs feel free to PM me.

So far I have two others interested in attending; one will be in an FJ Cruiser.

Thanks guys!
^^^ other thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...etro-area.html

Why the need for a PM . Hell yea, we want to see pictures. This is a forum...lets show and tell along with discussion here
Old 03-14-16, 05:35 AM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to update my thread and post a picture of the 2013 LC we ended up buying. Thanks again for all the insight!

Old 03-14-16, 09:32 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice, congrats!
Old 03-14-16, 12:49 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Nice, congrats!
Thanks. we found one with 34K miles on it, still under factory warranty. Feels like it's just getting broken in. Wife loves it, kids love it, dog loves it. The 5.7 is so strong compared to my 4.7. Will be a piece of cake pulling the Airsteam. I'm a happy camper (literally).
Old 03-14-16, 12:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Nice Land Crusher.

I looked up the value for 2013 Land Cruiser like yours, you could've bought a brand new Tahoe for the same price. Granted I'd have done the same thing you did, 3 year old Land Cruiser is still a much better vehicle than a new Tahoe.
Old 03-14-16, 01:12 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Nice Land Crusher.

I looked up the value for 2013 Land Cruiser like yours, you could've bought a brand new Tahoe for the same price. Granted I'd have done the same thing you did, 3 year old Land Cruiser is still a much better vehicle than a new Tahoe.
We did look at those as well, but plan to keep this for at least 10 years and 10 years from now, I think I will be much happier with the Land Cruiser than I would be with a Tahoe. Also, the Tahoe is 9 inches longer and 2 inches wider. More on par with the Sequoia in size and bigger than we wanted.
Old 03-14-16, 01:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyDog77
We did look at those as well, but plan to keep this for at least 10 years and 10 years from now, I think I will be much happier with the Land Cruiser than I would be with a Tahoe. Also, the Tahoe is 9 inches longer and 2 inches wider. Bigger than we wanted.
Didn't realize that there was that big of a size difference, because there isn't really any difference in terms of passenger/cargo space.

Even when you do sell it 10 years later, it will be worth 2 or 3 times what the Tahoe would be.
Old 03-15-16, 12:42 PM
SkyDog77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Even when you do sell it 10 years later, it will be worth 2 or 3 times what the Tahoe would be.
We really didn't shop the Tahoe seriously for numerous reasons, but that was definitely one of them.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between GX460 and Land Cruiser