GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 07:07 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I question the longevity of both methods...

There are two ways to address light scratches in glass. The easiest is to fill the scratches with an acrylic scratch remover, which is applied as a liquid and dries hard and transparent, hiding the damage by filling the scratches chemically. For deeper scratches, the most popular fix is buffing the glass with cerium oxide, a popular glass, ceramic and metal polish with very low abrasivenessit's widely used in jewelry and ceramics. Add water to the fine powder and make a slurry the consistency of Elmer's Glue, then cover the damaged areas with the paste. Using a drill with a hard rubber polishing wheel attached, apply firm pressure to slowly grind the surface smooth. To make things a bit easier, mark the location of the scratch on the other side of the glass so you can keep track of where you should be working. It may take a while, but keep the paste moist and add more cerium oxide as needed, and the result will be a smooth, scratch-free surface.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ur-windshield/
Old 03-11-15, 07:14 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,Tecman, I think there is a company nearby that does the acrylic fill. They are very fine scratches but I am picky about my vehicles. By the way, when I asked about the console lid and you showed me how to take it off, I showed your reply to the Lexus tech as he was sort of clueless. They ordered a new lid which came in damaged, they ordered a second one which came in yesterday. I am waiting for them to call me with an appt. Thanks for all your expert advice.
Old 09-02-15, 07:41 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windshield replacement on 2015 GX460

I'm getting my windshield replace next week with OEM part due to a long crack. I was told by my insurance company that I might have to go to the lexus dealership after to get the front camera sensor calibration for my bind spot monitor. Can anybody confirm this when they replaced their windshield? Thanks
Old 09-03-15, 05:37 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by clickart
I'm getting my windshield replace next week with OEM part due to a long crack. I was told by my insurance company that I might have to go to the lexus dealership after to get the front camera sensor calibration for my bind spot monitor. Can anybody confirm this when they replaced their windshield? Thanks
If you have lane departure you may need to go to the dealer but why not just go to the dealer anyway? I just had a windshield in our GS replaced by the dealer and our insurance covered the same as if I took it to any other glass place.
Old 09-03-15, 02:39 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Windshield Replacement

Second that on taking to the dealer. Most insurance companies cannot tell you where you have to take your car for damage repair. Someone like GEICO may try that, but check your policy. If it is not excluded then it is covered
Old 09-03-15, 03:26 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have GEICO, and when my windshield was broken, they paid the full amount to have it repaired at the dealer - no problem.
Old 09-03-15, 05:28 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lane departure alert u may have to get checked.
blind spot monitor is not affected as sensor is in rear bumper.
Old 09-03-15, 06:11 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

My dealer is 70 miles away and I just rather have it done locally. We will find out if I need to get it calibrated after the installation.
Old 09-10-15, 05:46 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

I just got it replaced yesterday and I can confirm that no calibration is needed.
Old 09-10-15, 06:17 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-14-16, 03:46 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Windshield Replacements

Wouldn't you know it, a rock found its way already on my two week old GX. On my other vehicle the dealer used a non-OEM part as a replacement since it's cheaper. And it was fine. For those here that have had to replace a windshield, what had been your experience, OEM for a higher cost or the third party one?
Old 07-14-16, 05:12 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

My replacement is still fine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...indshield.html
Old 07-18-16, 05:16 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k4
Wouldn't you know it, a rock found its way already on my two week old GX. On my other vehicle the dealer used a non-OEM part as a replacement since it's cheaper. And it was fine. For those here that have had to replace a windshield, what had been your experience, OEM for a higher cost or the third party one?
I would push my insurance company for Original Lexus glass. Depending on the insurance coverage, most companies cover the original glass if vehicle is still new. GEICO would replace it with original if its within a year of purchase and Allstate would do the same within first two years. Other companies might work the same. But you have to request original glass either way otherwise they would simply replace with cheaper glass.
Old 07-18-16, 03:18 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I bought mine used and it has non-oem glass. I have had no problems, but I have heard the OEM glass is thicker and better on sound insulation I haven't noticed loud wind noise but I have no good point of reference as it's been awhile since I've driven a new GX.

Just make sure the trim on either side is secure after the installation. They will likely glue the trim back on since the clips are likely to break on removal.
Old 07-19-16, 10:07 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The "cheap" $558 one is Chinese made and is of lesser quality and quite a bit brighter on the eyes. Since my deductible is $500, I wound up going with the OEM.

Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements