GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Advice on upgrading my '03 GX470 to GX460?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 07:20 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advice on upgrading my '03 GX470 to GX460?

I've had my '03 GX470 for about 7 years now and it's served me well. I originally bought it CPO when it had about 32K on the odom...now she's got 120+K on the odom and starting to see more maintenance costs.

Some of the problems I'm seeing are:

1) Frequently replacing rotors\brake pads (recurring problem..seems like I'm replacing every year or two)
2) Coolant seems to be frequently low...had a radiator leak 2 years ago that was repaired twice, still notice low coolant
3) AC light is occasionally flickering...I might be low on freon
4) My CD changer doesn't work any more
5) The spoiler's clear coat is flaking\peeling off.

What's your thoughts on upgrading or spending the $ to fix the problems I'm seeing?

In terms of keeping the truck long term, all of the general maintenance stuff has been done i.e. 90K service, tires still have a lot of tread, struts were replace last year. Engine is still strong and very smooth.

If I were to upgrade, what year and package should I look for?

Here's the things I need and would like to have:
  • Tow Package
  • ML Sound
  • Nav
  • Back up Camera
  • Entertainment (nice to have but isn't necessary)
  • Park Assist (nice to have but isn't necessary)
  • Blind Spot Monitoring (nice to have but isn't necessary)

New isn't an option for me right now as I'm in the planning stage of knocking down my house and building a new one from the ground up. My budget is roughly $25K + trade in value of the '03.

Also, if I don't buy local, can I take the vehicle for warranty issue to my local lexus dealer?
Old 08-05-15, 10:35 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded my 2005 4Runner V8 with 100k miles for a GX. It was due for another routine 2-year front brake replacement, and needed some major exhaust work. I was planning to replace the 4Runner, the costly repairs made it happen sooner.

Your AC and coolant leak could be minor or major repairs. I would get them diagnosed and go from there. You know what the brakes cost. The spoiler and CD changer are not big factors. You might be able to find a radio/CD changer from a used parts dealer. The spoiler is cosmetic.

An unforeseen major repair could be the secondary air injection valve failure, p2440 code. I'm not sure how common it is.
Old 08-05-15, 11:00 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I *think" the ML sound requires the premium package, otherwise tow, nav, backup camera and park assist are available in Base packages. I'm guessing you'd get about 10k for your trade, so you'd have around $35k to spend. I think that would get you a nice 2011 or 2012 with around 50k miles (obviously you can search cars.com or whatever to get more precise). That's about a 10 year jump forward from where you are now, which would be nice but you'd likely be out of warranty unless you bought a 100k extension.

And yes, you can get warranty work done at any Lexus dealer. You can get most service work at a Toyota shop as well, although they can't do warranty work directly, but you can pay them and then take it up with Lexus to reimburse you if you like.

Regarding your 2003, it seems unusual that you're replacing pads and rotors that frequently. Are you using aftermarket parts? Some pad compounds are tough on rotors and if you drive a lot and do heavy braking, it's feasible. But usually Toyota OEM rotors and pads have a longer service life. Either way, brakes are a serviceable item. The rest of the stuff are just things you deal with on an aging car. If you aren't capable of doing those types of repairs yourself, then maybe it's time to go newer?
Old 08-06-15, 06:42 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bluto
I traded my 2005 4Runner V8 with 100k miles for a GX. It was due for another routine 2-year front brake replacement, and needed some major exhaust work. I was planning to replace the 4Runner, the costly repairs made it happen sooner.

Your AC and coolant leak could be minor or major repairs. I would get them diagnosed and go from there. You know what the brakes cost. The spoiler and CD changer are not big factors. You might be able to find a radio/CD changer from a used parts dealer. The spoiler is cosmetic.

An unforeseen major repair could be the secondary air injection valve failure, p2440 code. I'm not sure how common it is.
You took the same path I did, when I got my '03 GX I traded in my '96 4Runner that was having an occasional transmission issue i.e. it would sometimes not go into gear and the RPM just revs.

You reminded me I currently have an exhaust leak too.

The major repair is what is worrying me...I don't want to dump $ into fixing it to then have a major repair bill which will reduce the trade in value of it or worst the engine blows and I have to scramble to find something and spend more.

Decisions...decisions...

Originally Posted by Jacket
I *think" the ML sound requires the premium package, otherwise tow, nav, backup camera and park assist are available in Base packages. I'm guessing you'd get about 10k for your trade, so you'd have around $35k to spend. I think that would get you a nice 2011 or 2012 with around 50k miles (obviously you can search cars.com or whatever to get more precise). That's about a 10 year jump forward from where you are now, which would be nice but you'd likely be out of warranty unless you bought a 100k extension.

And yes, you can get warranty work done at any Lexus dealer. You can get most service work at a Toyota shop as well, although they can't do warranty work directly, but you can pay them and then take it up with Lexus to reimburse you if you like.

Regarding your 2003, it seems unusual that you're replacing pads and rotors that frequently. Are you using aftermarket parts? Some pad compounds are tough on rotors and if you drive a lot and do heavy braking, it's feasible. But usually Toyota OEM rotors and pads have a longer service life. Either way, brakes are a serviceable item. The rest of the stuff are just things you deal with on an aging car. If you aren't capable of doing those types of repairs yourself, then maybe it's time to go newer?
I estimated $10K for a trade in too...I'm finding 2010 and 2011 base package models with about 40K on the odom for about $40K, occassionally I see 1 or 2 for $35K but their not local. Of course, I'm aware sometimes dealerships will leave old ads up even though its sold to get you in there.

Good to know about the option of bringing warranty work to any dealership.

As for my brakes, I was using aftermarket parts so I'm guessing those parts were just crap. The last set I bought for the front are ceramic pads and crossed drilled rotors which is a premium item. It's been much better but still getting a little pulsing...it was suggested from the 1st gen GX forum I should replace the rears too and I should be good to go.

Still begs the question as to whether or not I should dump $ into the existing or just get a new one...I'm thinking I'll keep an eye out and if I see a good deal I'll buy it. During the interim, I'll just drive it and fix only what I absolutely need to.

I couldn't live without AC so last night I did an AC recharge by using one of those kits from the ap stores. Seems to be better now but it was kind of cool last night so I couldn't really tell.
Old 08-06-15, 08:25 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kphu

As for my brakes, I was using aftermarket parts so I'm guessing those parts were just crap. The last set I bought for the front are ceramic pads and crossed drilled rotors which is a premium item. It's been much better but still getting a little pulsing...it was suggested from the 1st gen GX forum I should replace the rears too and I should be good to go.
Not necessarily crap - it's not that uncommon with aftermarket pads, and with European vehicles to have more frequent maintenance requirements. I'm no brake expert, but certain brake pad compounds are harder on rotors (but maybe you get better grab/less fade/etc.), and some implementations consider rotors a common service item and they replace the rotor every time the pads are swapped. This was true with our old Audi.

If you want less maintenance burden from your brakes, go back to Toyota OEM rotors and pads.
Old 08-06-15, 10:58 AM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want less maintenance burden from your brakes, go back to Toyota OEM rotors and pads.
Or . . . If you are very conscious about what is further up the road, take your foot off the gas sooner and allow the GX to slow down on its own. I have 35k on mine and have over 50% left on my original pads (fronts), the dealer is surprised as well. The GX is heavy and will eat brakes, by planning ahead, your brake consumption can be dramatically reduced. give it a shot! KH
Old 08-06-15, 01:19 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

It's worth a shot.

Originally Posted by khiroshima
Or . . . If you are very conscious about what is further up the road, take your foot off the gas sooner and allow the GX to slow down on its own. I have 35k on mine and have over 50% left on my original pads (fronts), the dealer is surprised as well. The GX is heavy and will eat brakes, by planning ahead, your brake consumption can be dramatically reduced. give it a shot! KH
I am, I often coast to stop signs and lights. Although this is unproven in terms of saving gas, I typically speed up on the down hill and am light on the gas pedal when going up hill. Logically in theory I should save gas.

Unfortunately, much of the ware and tear on the gx is from my wife driving it. My dc is the GS430...
Old 08-18-15, 05:59 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You took the same path I did, when I got my '03 GX I traded in my '96 4Runner that was having an occasional transmission issue i.e. it would sometimes not go into gear and the RPM just revs.

You reminded me I currently have an exhaust leak too.

The major repair is what is worrying me...I don't want to dump $ into fixing it to then have a major repair bill which will reduce the trade in value of it or worst the engine blows and I have to scramble to find something and spend more.

Decisions...decisions...

I estimated $10K for a trade in too...I'm finding 2010 and 2011 base package models with about 40K on the odom for about $40K, occassionally I see 1 or 2 for $35K but their not local. Of course, I'm aware sometimes dealerships will leave old ads up even though its sold to get you in there.

Good to know about the option of bringing warranty work to any dealership.

Still begs the question as to whether or not I should dump $ into the existing or just get a new one...I'm thinking I'll keep an eye out and if I see a good deal I'll buy it. During the interim, I'll just drive it and fix only what I absolutely need to.

I couldn't live without AC so last night I did an AC recharge by using one of those kits from the ap stores. Seems to be better now but it was kind of cool last night so I couldn't really tell.

My 2000 Corolla has the same trans issue. Turned out to be a cracked bracket holding the shifter cable and not internal to the transmission.

I could smell exhaust in the cab while sitting at a red light. So I was driving with the AC on recirc. The cost for manifolds, pipes, muffler, O2 sensors, and labor was approaching trade in value of $9k. Plus brakes. So I traded it. Engine, trans, AC, interior, paint were perfect. 2" lift, AT tires, nice stereo. One appraiser said it was an overseas market vehicle, and it was headed to an exporter, going to Central/South America.

The best way to find a good deal is check the Carfax reports, find one that has been sitting for a few months. October is also a good time to shop used.
Old 08-19-15, 06:49 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bluto
My 2000 Corolla has the same trans issue. Turned out to be a cracked bracket holding the shifter cable and not internal to the transmission.

I could smell exhaust in the cab while sitting at a red light. So I was driving with the AC on recirc. The cost for manifolds, pipes, muffler, O2 sensors, and labor was approaching trade in value of $9k. Plus brakes. So I traded it. Engine, trans, AC, interior, paint were perfect. 2" lift, AT tires, nice stereo. One appraiser said it was an overseas market vehicle, and it was headed to an exporter, going to Central/South America.

The best way to find a good deal is check the Carfax reports, find one that has been sitting for a few months. October is also a good time to shop used.
Good to know!

...I couldn't live without AC so last night I did an AC recharge by using one of those kits from the ap stores. Seems to be better now but it was kind of cool last night so I couldn't really tell.
Update...so the AC recharge didn't work and I'm still blowing a mix of cool and warm air on and off...it seems to work for a little bit but then it shuts off.

Horrible drive to Maine last weekend without AC...got caught in traffic for about 45 mins on our way up there so the baby was whinny and wife was ...itchy.

Just missed out on a good deal on a 2013 GX460 at my local lexus dealer too! 28K asking $41K.

I'm on the lookout!
Old 08-24-15, 08:50 AM
knownbliss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my '03 GX470 for about 7 years now and it's served me well. I originally bought it CPO when it had about 32K on the odom...now she's got 120+K on the odom and starting to see more maintenance costs.

Some of the problems I'm seeing are:

1) Frequently replacing rotors\brake pads (recurring problem..seems like I'm replacing every year or two)
2) Coolant seems to be frequently low...had a radiator leak 2 years ago that was repaired twice, still notice low coolant
3) AC light is occasionally flickering...I might be low on freon
4) My CD changer doesn't work any more
5) The spoiler's clear coat is flaking\peeling off.

What's your thoughts on upgrading or spending the $ to fix the problems I'm seeing?

In terms of keeping the truck long term, all of the general maintenance stuff has been done i.e. 90K service, tires still have a lot of tread, struts were replace last year. Engine is still strong and very smooth.

If I were to upgrade, what year and package should I look for?

Here's the things I need and would like to have:
  • Tow Package
  • ML Sound
  • Nav
  • Back up Camera
  • Entertainment (nice to have but isn't necessary)
  • Park Assist (nice to have but isn't necessary)
  • Blind Spot Monitoring (nice to have but isn't necessary)

New isn't an option for me right now as I'm in the planning stage of knocking down my house and building a new one from the ground up. My budget is roughly $25K + trade in value of the '03.

Also, if I don't buy local, can I take the vehicle for warranty issue to my local lexus dealer?
we just went from a 2004 470 to a 2011 460. depends on who you ask (me or my wife) but i personally would have rather just kept the 2004--especially since i am now driving the 2011... she is commuting and we bought a 2015 volvo s60 for her daily driver.

i paid $41k for the 2011 with 35k miles and the 2004 was paid for... with your budget i would stick with the 470, seems to make the most financial sense to me. YMMV

good luck with what you decide.